Wifi and Cellular Boosting - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2015, 08:15 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 21'
Great ideas for the antennae, Ron and Donna! I really like the idea of a way to insert a pole with an antenna on it. If it's not needed, you don't bother with it. If it is, you have the flexibility to extend it as high as needed. No holes in the roof. Nothing permanent to swap out when it becomes obsolete. Genius!

A couple of questions from your posts:

1) What is a double cable hatch? A waterproof cover with some holes in it to allow wires to run through?

2) What is the "new solar panel mount?"

3) Ron: Thanks for the picture of the socket in the top of the spare tire holder. Worth 1000 words. Did you have that done by a welder or something? Was it expensive? Looks like the perfect solution to me. An extendable pole could be inserted and the wires run into the trailer. It sounds like you drilled a hole in the bottom of your trailer under the bench seats in the back to allow wires to come through. Do I have that right?

In any case, I don't think I'll ask Escape to drill holes or install antennae on top of the trailer. It will be easy to do that later if I want to. Drilling holes is easy. TOO easy! :-)

Maury&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:26 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maury&Julie View Post
Drilling holes is easy. TOO easy! :-)
Don't I know it. My wife always groans when I say that I'm going to drill a hole in our shiny new trailer. I mean, have I ever drilled a hole in the wrong place?

My wife also indulges my love of building things by letting me buy tools that I don't really need, like a TIG welder. So I was able to weld the piece of 1" s/s tube on myself. It wouldn't be expensive to have someone do that. I used s/s because it doesn't need painting and stays shiny. A length of aluminum tube just drops into it.

Ron

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:40 PM   #13

LOL, Ron!! Thanks for the info on the welding. I really like your solution. It puts the wires for the antenna coming down right where I want them—in the back of the trailer.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:52 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Here's the single cable hatch, the same one that's on Ten Forward... I'll see if I can find the double, I know I've seen it someplace.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SingleHatch.jpg (36.2 KB, 10 views)
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:04 PM   #15

Thanks, Donna. That helps a lot!
Old 09-20-2015, 10:52 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I use a telescoping aluminum antenna mast from Ham Radio Outlet. I have it fastened to my spare tire carrier and extend it when needed, but you wouldn't have to leave it mounted like I do. Currently I have a TV antenna and a cellular antenna on the mast, and I run the leads through the hatch used for the external power cable. It's kinda ugly, but it works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg san_luis_sp_co.jpg (56.2 KB, 57 views)
Old 09-20-2015, 11:11 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
[QUOTE=Mike Lewis;111354 It's kinda ugly, but it works.[/QUOTE]

Something that's functional, useful and works goes a long way towards looking good to me.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:42 AM   #18

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016... 2016 Escape 19.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maury&Julie View Post
The build sheet is coming due and I need to make some final decisions about what to buy and where to have it installed to get the absolutely best wifi and cellular service possible. (We'll be working from the road.)

My goal is to have a workstation in the U-Shaped dinette area of a 21.

It looks like the best wifi boosting option is the WifiRanger Elite Pack (https://www.wifiranger.com/shop/prod...ack-flat-mount).

It looks like the best cell booster is the weBoost Drive 4G-M with an external antenna. Amazon.com: weBoost Drive 4G-M Cell Phone Booster Kit - Boosts Signal For Up To 4 Devices In Your Car: Cell Phones & Accessories

I'm confused about two things:

1) The WifiRanger is used with the Go2, which is wireless router that sets up a secure wireless network in the trailer. Cool. But isn't the weBoost 4G-M also a wireless router that broadcasts to the inside of the trailer? It seems redundant. What am I missing?

2) From other threads, it sounds like the best place to install all the electronics is to the left of the refrigerator. We'll cut a hole (ouch!) through the roof and install the WifiRanger and weBoost antennae somewhere on top. Any suggestions for where? I don't have any concept of the layout of the top of the RV. Will the two antennae interfere with each other?

Thanks for your help! I've bought books, read other posts, and I'm still fuzzy on these matters.

I'm in the same situation... will be working from the road. We'll be picking up a 19' in January and our build sheet is due next week... oh my!

I bought a WeBoost and have been testing it. I'm happy with the performance. I'll be using it in the TV while traveling (I work while my partner drives)... and will transfer it (just the unit itself... the Escape will have its own wiring and internal antenna) to the Escape when camping. I got a different antenna (Wilson marine antenna) for the Escape. Was going to have that mounted on the roof, but I really like what Mike did with the telescoping aluminum antenna mast... so am now rethinking things.

I also bought a Wifi Ranger Elite without the Go2 (the Go2 isn't necessarily required to create a wifi network... the Elite itself creates a wifi network). We went camping this weekend in a very remote spot of Maine... only 1x cell coverage. There was a wifi hotspot about a mile away from our campsite. Lots of water, some trees between our campsite and the hotspot. The Elite did not pick up the hotspot. Even 1/4 mile away, the Elite did not pick up the hotspot. I was disappointed.

Has anyone else had any experience with the Elite? Thoughts on it? I'm considering returning it. Would love to hear experiences from others.

Maury&Julie: I'm curious to hear what you end up deciding to do.
sallemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:17 AM   #19

Trailer: 2016 17B (2017)
Could you run the cable through the TV Ready with 120V Outlet cable hookup option?
nrthwds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:21 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
weBoost Drive 4G-X is supposed to give a stronger signal than the Drive 4G-M. I read an article that says that in 2016, weBoost is supposed to be coming out with their Drive 4G-XR (RV) Cellular Booster. I guess they had announced it on their site earlier this year, but it is not there any more. I have not read lots on it yet, but I believe it mostly has to do with a new antenna being developed. Some of the techies here may know better.

I was reading too, that the weBoost 4G-S cradle should only be used for short periods of time, as the heat build up created will cause battery swelling, and possible damage. I know a few of you here, like Ron and Robert, use this cradle. Does anyone find this to be true?

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cellular antena, cellular boost, router, wifi antenna, wifi boost