Wifi and Cellular Boosting - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2015, 08:57 AM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Easy solution Jim - a booster in both locations. Just move the hotspot or phone from the trailer to the tow when underway. Of course, to take advantage of this, there would be a corresponding antenna in the tow too. So while its 'easy', it is also expensive.
Easy(ish) yes, but I was hoping for less expensive than two systems. I do realize that I could just move the booster (with the phone as a hotspot) between vehicles, but do wonder how easy this is. I guess having separate antennas would help. Is there some some kind of quick connector that could be used, as I believe these antenna connections screw together, and that could wear with multiple connections/disconnections. I guess the power supply would have to be moved too, would that be easy.

Here is another solution I stumbled across, though even more expensive. With a 50' range, it could stay in the tow, while accessing from the trailer.
Maximum Signal :: Maximum Signal LTE Amplifiers :: Max Amp Mobile RV kit
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:45 PM   #42
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Wifi and Cellular Boosting

The range would not be an issue in either case. We can get good wifi reception with the cradle in the trailer from 50 feet away already. For me the issue is powering the cradle. It's just a 12v plug, but I wouldn't want to leave it plugged into a 12v socket in the tow all the time, as it might run the battery down. By keeping it in the trailer, I take advantage of either the campsite hookups or the solar, and battery drain isn't an issue.

And your point about the antenna is well taken - it's a mini coax connector and you wouldn't want to frequently connect and disconnect it.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:11 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I have a AT&T only Sleek in the tow vehicle that amplifies my AT&T iPhone, and a universal Sleek in the trailer that holds my Verizon 291 Hotspot. Since I have unlimited data on the AT&T phone, I use that most of the time to listen to Pandora or my home town NPR station. I can't set it up as a hotspot without loosing the unlimited data. The Sleek & iPhone are plugged into a accessory receptacle that is only on when the vehicle is running, so no problem with draining the tow vehicle battery. I have drained the iPhone battery on long stops if I forget to shut it off - I wish my NPR app was smart enough to pause when the charging power is disconnected.

In areas where there is no AT&T coverage (unfortunately, much of the Southwest) I leave the hotspot on in the trailer & the iPhone connects with no problem over WiFi. The Sleek & hotspot draw around 2 amps, well within the solar & pair of 6 volt batteries can supply.

I also carry an XM radio receiver with two docks, one in the tow & one in the trailer. Makes it easy to move without having to disconnect/connect the three connections from the dock.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:41 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The range would not be an issue in either case. We can get good wifi reception with the cradle in the trailer from 50 feet away already. For me the issue is powering the cradle. It's just a 12v plug, but I wouldn't want to leave it plugged into a 12v socket in the tow all the time, as it might run the battery down. By keeping it in the trailer, I take advantage of either the campsite hookups or the solar, and battery drain isn't an issue.

And your point about the antenna is well taken - it's a mini coax connector and you wouldn't want to frequently connect and disconnect it.
I thought from things I read that you need to keep quite close to it. Good to hear it broadcasts further.

Do you keep it in the trailer as you drive?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:19 PM   #45
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I only use it to boost my Verizon MiFi hotspot, not the phone, so yes, it stays in the trailer. Haven't really cared if the phone can use its wifi signal when we're underway, but the wife has been able to use wifi on her IPad while I drive.

Tags
cellular antena, cellular boost, router, wifi antenna, wifi boost