Wifi and Cellular Boosting - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2015, 07:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21'
Wifi and Cellular Boosting

The build sheet is coming due and I need to make some final decisions about what to buy and where to have it installed to get the absolutely best wifi and cellular service possible. (We'll be working from the road.)

My goal is to have a workstation in the U-Shaped dinette area of a 21.

It looks like the best wifi boosting option is the WifiRanger Elite Pack (https://www.wifiranger.com/shop/prod...ack-flat-mount).

It looks like the best cell booster is the weBoost Drive 4G-M with an external antenna. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I'm confused about two things:

1) The WifiRanger is used with the Go2, which is wireless router that sets up a secure wireless network in the trailer. Cool. But isn't the weBoost 4G-M also a wireless router that broadcasts to the inside of the trailer? It seems redundant. What am I missing?

2) From other threads, it sounds like the best place to install all the electronics is to the left of the refrigerator. We'll cut a hole (ouch!) through the roof and install the WifiRanger and weBoost antennae somewhere on top. Any suggestions for where? I don't have any concept of the layout of the top of the RV. Will the two antennae interfere with each other?

Thanks for your help! I've bought books, read other posts, and I'm still fuzzy on these matters.
Maury&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:55 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Wifi and 4G operate on different frequencies; shouldn't interfere with each other. The weBoost is a cellphone amplifier; don't know if uses IP addressing or not like a true router does.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:18 PM   #3

Thanks, Charlie. Do you know: Is the signal a cell phone receives for data different from the signal it receives for talking? Sometimes I have good signal for talking and no data (and vice versa).
Old 09-19-2015, 10:08 PM   #4
Commercial Member

In 4G systems, the circuit-switched infrastructure is abandoned and only a packet-switched network is provided, while 3G systems require both packet-switched and circuit-switched network nodes, i.e. two infrastructures in parallel. This means that in 4G, traditional voice calls are replaced by IP telephony. Another thing to note, is that while voice requires less bandwidth, it requires a continuous connection. Whereas data can be packetized.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 09-19-2015, 11:34 PM   #5

Wow. Impressive knowledge! I really appreciate your help. So is this right:

The Wifi Ranger/ Go2 amplify and broadcast a Wifi signal.
The weBoost amplifies and broadcasts a cell signal.

The boosted cell signal is then picked up by a phone to be used either as voice or data. Cell phones can convert the cell signal to wifi and broadcast it, creating a "hotspot." The wifi created by the hotspot can be inputted into the Go2 wireless router like any other wifi and broadcast throughout the trailer.

Whew! I hope I'm getting closer.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:42 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
If you look on the Escapees forum (not in any way associated with Escape Trailer) they are fulltimers and many have used Wifi Ranger and everything else. You can find many more comments on it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:24 AM   #7
Commercial Member

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maury&Julie View Post
Wow. Impressive knowledge! I really appreciate your help. So is this right:

The Wifi Ranger/ Go2 amplify and broadcast a Wifi signal.
The weBoost amplifies and broadcasts a cell signal.

The boosted cell signal is then picked up by a phone to be used either as voice or data. Cell phones can convert the cell signal to wifi and broadcast it, creating a "hotspot." The wifi created by the hotspot can be inputted into the Go2 wireless router like any other wifi and broadcast throughout the trailer.

Whew! I hope I'm getting closer.
I use my cell phone as my hotspot instead of a MIFI device as the MIFI would count as another device on my plan; I'd have to pay a monthly charge that I avoid just using the phone/hotspot with our laptops.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 09-20-2015, 12:32 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
On this trip I blew my entire data ( 400 meg ) by streaming a 20 minute video newscast through my iPhone.
Wasn't thinking.
Anyway, on my grandfathered cell plan it costs me 2 cents a meg for overage, so I'll just not watch streaming video.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:35 AM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
2) From other threads, it sounds like the best place to install all the electronics is to the left of the refrigerator. We'll cut a hole (ouch!) through the roof and install the WifiRanger and weBoost antennae somewhere on top.
I can't help with the technology questions, but have you considered mounting everything on a removable pole attached to the rear bumper? Then install a double cable hatch on the rear... run inside wire from there. This is what I'm considering doing... future traveler!

My reasoning is technology changes rapidly. Mounting holes may get bigger/smaller. I don't want holes on the roof! Or maybe, attach something like the new solar panel mount and attach to that...

Kinda thinking out loud here...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I I use my cell phone as my hotspot instead of a MIFI device as the MIFI would count as another device on my plan; I'd have to pay a monthly charge that I avoid just using the phone/hotspot with our laptops.
We're on the same wavelength there. I find my cell phone, in the Weboost cradle in the truck, and therefore still boosting the cell signal, works just fine as a hotspot for my netbook in the trailer. I don't understand the desire to install an antenna on the trailer.

Donna, couldn't agree more. Technology changes so fast now, today's electronic gizzmo is tomorrow's landfill. Keeping flexibility with a small hatch is a good way of dealing with future needs that you're not even aware of yet. I didn't put in a dedicated hatch but I did drill an 1 1/2" hole, with a grommet, in the floor of a dinette locker. This gives me flexibility to run new wires etc. in and out as required.

Also, yes, a socket welded to either the back bumper or, in my case, the top of the spare tire holder, allows for an aluminum tube to be inserted to hold whatever you want; an antenna, I use it for my TV antenna, or a flag pole etc.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
20-09-2015 11-32-52 AM_0001rotated_resize.jpg   26-05-2015 9-41-58 AM_0002_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:15 PM   #11

Great ideas for the antennae, Ron and Donna! I really like the idea of a way to insert a pole with an antenna on it. If it's not needed, you don't bother with it. If it is, you have the flexibility to extend it as high as needed. No holes in the roof. Nothing permanent to swap out when it becomes obsolete. Genius!

A couple of questions from your posts:

1) What is a double cable hatch? A waterproof cover with some holes in it to allow wires to run through?

2) What is the "new solar panel mount?"

3) Ron: Thanks for the picture of the socket in the top of the spare tire holder. Worth 1000 words. Did you have that done by a welder or something? Was it expensive? Looks like the perfect solution to me. An extendable pole could be inserted and the wires run into the trailer. It sounds like you drilled a hole in the bottom of your trailer under the bench seats in the back to allow wires to come through. Do I have that right?

In any case, I don't think I'll ask Escape to drill holes or install antennae on top of the trailer. It will be easy to do that later if I want to. Drilling holes is easy. TOO easy! :-)
Old 09-20-2015, 07:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Drilling holes is easy. TOO easy! :-)
Don't I know it. My wife always groans when I say that I'm going to drill a hole in our shiny new trailer. I mean, have I ever drilled a hole in the wrong place?

My wife also indulges my love of building things by letting me buy tools that I don't really need, like a TIG welder. So I was able to weld the piece of 1" s/s tube on myself. It wouldn't be expensive to have someone do that. I used s/s because it doesn't need painting and stays shiny. A length of aluminum tube just drops into it.

Ron
Old 09-20-2015, 07:40 PM   #13

LOL, Ron!! Thanks for the info on the welding. I really like your solution. It puts the wires for the antenna coming down right where I want them—in the back of the trailer.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:52 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Here's the single cable hatch, the same one that's on Ten Forward... I'll see if I can find the double, I know I've seen it someplace.
Attached Thumbnails
SingleHatch.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:04 PM   #15

Thanks, Donna. That helps a lot!
Old 09-20-2015, 09:52 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I use a telescoping aluminum antenna mast from Ham Radio Outlet. I have it fastened to my spare tire carrier and extend it when needed, but you wouldn't have to leave it mounted like I do. Currently I have a TV antenna and a cellular antenna on the mast, and I run the leads through the hatch used for the external power cable. It's kinda ugly, but it works.
Attached Thumbnails
san_luis_sp_co.jpg  
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:11 PM   #17

[QUOTE=Mike Lewis;111354 It's kinda ugly, but it works.[/QUOTE]

Something that's functional, useful and works goes a long way towards looking good to me.

Ron
Old 09-21-2015, 09:42 AM   #18

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016. 2016 Escape 19 Sold 2019. 2019 Escape 21 picked up Sep 2019
Quote:
The build sheet is coming due and I need to make some final decisions about what to buy and where to have it installed to get the absolutely best wifi and cellular service possible. (We'll be working from the road.)

My goal is to have a workstation in the U-Shaped dinette area of a 21.

It looks like the best wifi boosting option is the WifiRanger Elite Pack (https://www.wifiranger.com/shop/prod...ack-flat-mount).

It looks like the best cell booster is the weBoost Drive 4G-M with an external antenna. Amazon.com: weBoost Drive 4G-M Cell Phone Booster Kit - Boosts Signal For Up To 4 Devices In Your Car: Cell Phones & Accessories

I'm confused about two things:

1) The WifiRanger is used with the Go2, which is wireless router that sets up a secure wireless network in the trailer. Cool. But isn't the weBoost 4G-M also a wireless router that broadcasts to the inside of the trailer? It seems redundant. What am I missing?

2) From other threads, it sounds like the best place to install all the electronics is to the left of the refrigerator. We'll cut a hole (ouch!) through the roof and install the WifiRanger and weBoost antennae somewhere on top. Any suggestions for where? I don't have any concept of the layout of the top of the RV. Will the two antennae interfere with each other?

Thanks for your help! I've bought books, read other posts, and I'm still fuzzy on these matters.

I'm in the same situation... will be working from the road. We'll be picking up a 19' in January and our build sheet is due next week... oh my!

I bought a WeBoost and have been testing it. I'm happy with the performance. I'll be using it in the TV while traveling (I work while my partner drives)... and will transfer it (just the unit itself... the Escape will have its own wiring and internal antenna) to the Escape when camping. I got a different antenna (Wilson marine antenna) for the Escape. Was going to have that mounted on the roof, but I really like what Mike did with the telescoping aluminum antenna mast... so am now rethinking things.

I also bought a Wifi Ranger Elite without the Go2 (the Go2 isn't necessarily required to create a wifi network... the Elite itself creates a wifi network). We went camping this weekend in a very remote spot of Maine... only 1x cell coverage. There was a wifi hotspot about a mile away from our campsite. Lots of water, some trees between our campsite and the hotspot. The Elite did not pick up the hotspot. Even 1/4 mile away, the Elite did not pick up the hotspot. I was disappointed.

Has anyone else had any experience with the Elite? Thoughts on it? I'm considering returning it. Would love to hear experiences from others.

Maury&Julie: I'm curious to hear what you end up deciding to do.
sallemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:17 AM   #19

Trailer: 2020 21C
Could you run the cable through the TV Ready with 120V Outlet cable hookup option?
nrthwds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:21 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
weBoost Drive 4G-X is supposed to give a stronger signal than the Drive 4G-M. I read an article that says that in 2016, weBoost is supposed to be coming out with their Drive 4G-XR (RV) Cellular Booster. I guess they had announced it on their site earlier this year, but it is not there any more. I have not read lots on it yet, but I believe it mostly has to do with a new antenna being developed. Some of the techies here may know better.

I was reading too, that the weBoost 4G-S cradle should only be used for short periods of time, as the heat build up created will cause battery swelling, and possible damage. I know a few of you here, like Ron and Robert, use this cradle. Does anyone find this to be true?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cellular antena, cellular boost, router, wifi antenna, wifi boost