Wifi Booster? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2019, 12:11 PM   #1
Dee

Trailer: 2019 21'
Wifi Booster?

Hello,
We have just brought home our new 21' and are busy outfitting it for the coming camping season. I'm thinking of purchasing a wifi booster and I'm looking at the Wifi Ranger. Does anyone have advice/ experience with this or any other product?
Thanks,
Dee
Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Never used a WiFi Ranger ourselves but know others who have, and they’ve been generally pleased. We’ve been using a WiFi booster from Winegard for a year and a half now and can recommend it.

http://www.winegard.com/connect/rv
Old 03-05-2019, 02:49 PM   #3

Trailer: ?
You are only limited by your budget.

https://www.wilsonsignalbooster.com/...SAAEgLpRvD_BwE

We use the Sleek Cradle Signal Booster. (Or Rather its predecessor. And have for several years)

https://www.wilsonsignalbooster.com/...er-470135.html

We each have a phone and use one in the cradle with the phones Hot Spot feature. Then connect our iPads to the phones Hot Spot signal. Essentially the phone in the cradle create a wi-fi signal available both inside and out the camper.

More sophisticated, and expensive, devices don't tie up your phone.
OR you can get a Mobile Hotspot device from your carrier and leave it in the cradle all the time. We did this when we travelled extensively.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/internet-devices/

Lots of good choices depending on your specific requirements.

As you will see, the hardware is the cheap part. It's the monthly data consumption that's really adds up.

Enjoy your travels.

ED
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 05:52 PM   #4
Dee

Trailer: 2019 21'
Yes - the data is the expensive part, especially for Canadians travelling in the States!
Do all of these boosters need an external antenna? If so, where do you feed the wire through to the interior of the trailer?
Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:29 PM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
We have a WiFi Ranger. The one we have came in two parts. The core part is in the trailer and serves as a hot spot with internal antenna. The second part is an external antenna. The external antenna will pull in weak WiFi signals that the core unit won't. It also has a port that we can plug in our Verizon MiFi. All our WiFi enabled devices connect to the Ranger. It routes all devices to either an external WiFi signal or cell hot spot. The Ranger also has a built in VPN for secure Internet.

We like the Ranger. We can get by mainly with WiFi networks and it. When they are unavailable, or slow, we use the MiFi through the Ranger. Works well for us.

We put up an telescoping antenna for the external (Ranger and WeBoost). See post #12 in this thread in this thread.

We also ran the connections through the back of the trailer, after much throught. See post #15 in this thread.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Yes - the data is the expensive part, especially for Canadians travelling in the States!
Do all of these boosters need an external antenna? If so, where do you feed the wire through to the interior of the trailer?
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:13 PM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The WeBoost is a cell booster, not a wifi booster, 2 different animals.

I believe the WeBoost, which I have is the most commonly used cell booster, the Ranger being the most popular WiFi booster.

Don't use a wifi booster but as far as antenna cable routing, I ran the one for the cell booster up thru the fridge vent.

An option is, or at least was, to send your antenna and cable to ETI and have them run it. You'd have to get more up to date info then I have from someone who's gone this route if you are interested.

Some folks go out the back of the trailer and use a removable mast to hold whatever antennas you deem needed.