Wifi Booster Questions - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2017, 12:01 PM   #21

Trailer: 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljswany View Post
Here is what Jefa Tech recommended and Escape is installing for us: https://www.jefatech.com/collections...oducts/rj45-bh
Thanks Linda or Ray for the reply. (Thanks to everyone else too. Oh my goodness--so many thoughtful replies so quickly!)

Linda or Ray, did Escape have the shielded bulkhead coupler in stock or is that a customer supplied item?

Thanks,
David
David Todtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
While I didn't have Escape install it, this is the feedthrough I'm using.

On edit - Linda or Ray is using the same one I'm using. You do have to have the nerve to drill a 1" hole in the trailer if you do it yourself!

Since I rarely use campground WiFi, I designed the system to be completely removable. The mount is a Flagpole bracket from Lowe's, one of their 4' - 8' paint roller handles, the above feedthrough, a Ubiquiti NanoStation M2, a Ubiquiti airGateway-LR airMAX Wireless Access Point, and since the Wireless Access Point is 120V powered, a TYcon Power TP-DCDC-1224 Power Over Ethernet power supply to run directly on 12V.

The 12v POE supply plugs directly into the air Gateway, but since it doesn't snap in place like the Ubiquiti 120V supply, you need to use a rubber band to keep it plugged to the air Gateway. I've put it together here at home & everything works.

For a YouTube video of how to set up the system, check this "Outside Our Bubble" post (scroll to the bottom for the video).
Yep, I can imagine cutting a hole in the trailer hull requires much thought.

Thanks for the info on your mast. An extendible paint pole or tree trimmer might be a simple and slick solution.

I have not seen the video yet but I assume you think the Ubiquity antenna and access point will do a good job. But you have not been out with it yet? Anyone: I would like opinions on the Ubituity system if you have them.

I am a little confused re the power supply to the Ubiquity access point. This is what I think is going on: the Ubiquity access point unit must run on 24 volts, similar to my home router which has a step-down power supply but plugs into 115v AC. When you are running off your batteries, the Tycon device provides 24v DC power to the U-access point. Correct?

Thanks,
David
Old 07-31-2017, 12:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
And mine (NSM2) has successfully locked onto WiFi that the giant rig next to me with his ( he said ) $500+ WiFi booster could not do.
I did have to lie though and tell him mine only allowed one hook up. I did not want him streaming video since he mentioned that's why he wanted to use theirs instead of his Jetpack.
Okay, LOL. This may be an answer to a question I just asked: what experiences do people have with the Ubiquity system? Anybody else?
Best,
David
Old 07-31-2017, 12:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
David,
Did you get the roof mounted solar panel option for your trailer? If it were me, I think I would mount my antenna somewhere on the front of the trailer. I say that without seeing your antenna plans because of concerns due to shading your solar panels with the antenna apparatus. It doesn't take much shading to reduce the efficiently of your solar output. <some stuff deleted>

Just a thought to complicate your installation .... sorry
Thanks Tom. I had not thought of that possibility.
David
Old 07-31-2017, 12:46 PM   #25

Trailer: 2018 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Todtman View Post
Okay, LOL. This may be an answer to a question I just asked: what experiences do people have with the Ubiquity system? Anybody else?
Best,
David
I have not used these Ubiquity components, but I have used other ones with excellent success. I learned of them at work where several others, having tried several options, finally settled on Ubiquity. FWIW.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:51 PM   #26

You have a nice installation. Thanks for the picture.

StarvingHyena raised the question of whether the mast and antenna could shade the solar panel enough to significantly degrade the panel's output. Do you have any thoughts on that?
Best,
David
Old 07-31-2017, 01:01 PM   #27

Jonathan, please do post when you get the mud out.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:05 PM   #28

Well, the positive endorsements of Ubiquity Nanostation are piling up. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:14 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Todtman View Post
Yep, I can imagine cutting a hole in the trailer hull requires much thought.

David
The more you drill, the easier it gets.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:34 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
David, I ordered it from Jefa Tech and had it shipped to ETI.

"It is better to travel well than to arrive" - Buddha
Ljswany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:57 AM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
If you are trying to avoid putting another hole in your trailer, one solution is too run the cable through the same hole where the battery negative is wired to the chassis. I had to drill out the hole a little larger to accommodate the CAT5 cable, but it's a hidden and non-invasive way to install POE.

FWIW, I had a Ubiquity Bullet fail on me. I replaced it with the Nanostation which I like a lot more.
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:37 AM   #32

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
A mobile internet resource

My brother, who is rv-ing full time and dependent on the net, turned us onto this website: https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ Tons of information is available here without having to sign up for a membership although they are moving a lot of their free info onto their membership access.

We are going with a very small WeBoost antenna mounted on a sheet metal plate that will enhance the signal. My brother uses the same antenna but does not need a plate because he does not have a fiberglass rv. Cable from the antenna will connect with a cradle booster holding our hotspot. The cradle is not a super duper signal strength booster but we think this will be adequate for us.
Zahuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:27 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahuta View Post
The cradle is not a super duper signal strength booster but we think this will be adequate for us.
It does a pretty good job for us in marginal conditions. It can usually turn a flickering "1" into a solid "3" or better.

Ron
Old 08-01-2017, 11:36 AM   #34
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:

We are going with a very small WeBoost antenna mounted on a sheet metal plate that will enhance the signal. My brother uses the same antenna but does not need a plate because he does not have a fiberglass rv. Cable from the antenna will connect with a cradle booster holding our hotspot. The cradle is not a super duper signal strength booster but we think this will be adequate for us.
I chose this antenna as it has a built-in ground plane. No metal plate required and it works quite well. https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/wil...a-male-311119/

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:38 PM   #35

We are just using a piece of flat flashing that cost a dollar-something at Lowes. We are going with the very short antenna to keep our profile low and not have anything we have to raise or lower. It is great that there are lots of options out there so folks can find whatever suits them best.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:39 PM   #36

That is great to know, Ron. Do you have a WeBoost system?
Old 08-01-2017, 02:07 PM   #37

Quote:
That is great to know, Ron. Do you have a WeBoost system?
Yes, the 4G-S. I put it in before a trip to Alaska and it was great for those long stretches of no usable signal. It doesn't perform miracles but it certainly improves the range at which data is usable.

I thought about getting the other antenna and just moving the truck cradle into the trailer and hooking up the second antenna but we don't have large data plans so I haven't done that.

Ron
Old 08-01-2017, 04:44 PM   #38

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
When camping I like to be off the grid and clicking on some of the links that I have found in this thread confirms it.
Wow, it is expensive equipment.
Interesting, interesting stuff though.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:22 PM   #39

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I chose this antenna as it has a built-in ground plane. No metal plate required and it works quite well. https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/wil...a-male-311119/
We've got the Trucker Antenna like Charlie, and Weboost 4G-S Cradle like Ron. Our hotspot is a Verizon MiFi Jetpack. Good results!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:46 PM   #40
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
We've got the Trucker Antenna like Charlie, and Weboost 4G-S Cradle like Ron. Our hotspot is a Verizon MiFi Jetpack. Good results!
We just use an iPhone for the hotspot; no additional equipment charge like a MiFi on ATT.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote