Wifi Booster Questions - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2017, 08:35 PM   #41

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Comedian today - "When someone asks 'wifi'?, I ask, 'wi NOT fi'?" Sorry if that's too stupid for this thread or has already made the rounds too many times....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:06 PM   #42

Trailer: 17B
Two last questions (for now anyway)

So I have my wifi booster system planned out. As part of my end of the install, I will send a length of Cat5e cable with RJ45 connectors to Escape. This is for the internal run. I can only assume that standard Cat5e is appropriate for this. (I.e., I will not provide weatherproof Cat5e rated for outdoor/burial use, for the Cat5e run within the coach.)

Is this correct?

Also, Escape is installing the JEFA Tech RJ45 waterproof bulkhead coupler that I will provide. I might have to pose this question directly to Escape: The internal side of the coupler will be in the rear passenger side storage locker (under the bench). But will the internal side of the coupler be accessible? Or can I expect it to be sealed up behind insulation?

Thanks again to everyone who contributed their knowledge and experience to my learning.
David Todtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:58 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Todtman View Post
So I have my wifi booster system planned out. As part of my end of the install, I will send a length of Cat5e cable with RJ45 connectors to Escape. This is for the internal run. I can only assume that standard Cat5e is appropriate for this. (I.e., I will not provide weatherproof Cat5e rated for outdoor/burial use, for the Cat5e run within the coach.)

Is this correct?

Also, Escape is installing the JEFA Tech RJ45 waterproof bulkhead coupler that I will provide. I might have to pose this question directly to Escape: The internal side of the coupler will be in the rear passenger side storage locker (under the bench). But will the internal side of the coupler be accessible? Or can I expect it to be sealed up behind insulation?

Thanks again to everyone who contributed their knowledge and experience to my learning.
If it runs anywhere near any other electronics, particularly a radio, be sure the Cat5 cable is well shielded.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:04 PM   #44
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Todtman View Post
Also, Escape is installing the JEFA Tech RJ45 waterproof bulkhead coupler that I will provide. I might have to pose this question directly to Escape: The internal side of the coupler will be in the rear passenger side storage locker (under the bench). But will the internal side of the coupler be accessible? Or can I expect it to be sealed up behind insulation?.
I would assume the inside would be accessible. The connector you mentioned should be able to accomodate the minimal wall and insulation thickness and still work, no?
Old 08-11-2017, 11:33 PM   #45

Trailer: 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I would assume the inside would be accessible. The connector you mentioned should be able to accomodate the minimal wall and insulation thickness and still work, no?

You are correct. Escape told me the inside end would be exposed in the dinette bench seat storage locker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David Todtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Just a usage update for my JAFA Tech XR setup. Here, towarda the back of the Rolling Hills RV sites none of our devices could use their weak signal. The JAFA Tech did it's job and we have our w-fi. Situations like this make me happy I installed it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:33 AM   #47

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yes, the 4G-S. I put it in before a trip to Alaska and it was great for those long stretches of no usable signal. It doesn't perform miracles but it certainly improves the range at which data is usable.

I thought about getting the other antenna and just moving the truck cradle into the trailer and hooking up the second antenna but we don't have large data plans so I haven't done that.

Ron
We are hoping to go up to Alaska after the Escape Rally and are looking at a WeBoost as our cell booster. We would like to be able to move the cradle to use our phone as a hotspot in the trailer. Did you ever get a second antenna?

We were thinking of NOT getting a WiFi booster as I read one blog post that said they found the wifi in most places was so slow that they just used their phone signals. We can splurge and bump up our data plan as needed. We typically don't stay at campgrounds with wifi anyway. What was your experience in Alaska? Did you make full use of both cell and wifi boosters?
Peggy & Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:34 PM   #48

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy & Dennis View Post
We are hoping to go up to Alaska after the Escape Rally and are looking at a WeBoost as our cell booster. We would like to be able to move the cradle to use our phone as a hotspot in the trailer. Did you ever get a second antenna?

We were thinking of NOT getting a WiFi booster as I read one blog post that said they found the wifi in most places was so slow that they just used their phone signals. We can splurge and bump up our data plan as needed. We typically don't stay at campgrounds with wifi anyway. What was your experience in Alaska? Did you make full use of both cell and wifi boosters?
While I have an earlier version (the Sleek), and a permanent trailer antenna, I carry a second antenna (the one that came with the Sleek) and use it if I have to drive the truck to a location away from the trailer to find a cell signal. My jetpack was a Verizon based system, and at the time I went (2015), Verizon was just moving into Alaska, so the coverage was still spotty, even with the Sleek. It may be better now.

I didn't carry a WiFi booster on the trip to Alaska, but wished I did. There were a number of Canadian campgrounds (where my data plan on the cell Jetpack was very limited) that had fast, but weak WiFi. I'd have to go to the office to use it. I now carry a Ubiquiti NanoStation WiFi system that can establish a good connection at a distance of 2 miles (I proved it at Quartzsite). Very impressive, although a bit difficult to set up. Here is a YouTube video of the system & how to set it up.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:54 PM   #49

Trailer: Escape 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I now carry a Ubiquiti NanoStation WiFi system that can establish a good connection at a distance of 2 miles (I proved it at Quartzsite). Very impressive, although a bit difficult to set up. Here is a YouTube video of the system & how to set it up.
Thanks for sharing. Ubiquity makes solid products. Setting this up to a booster would certainly eliminate hotspot range challenges.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:10 PM   #50

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I never did get that second antenna for the trailer.

My experience pretty much mirrors Jon's. On the road, anywhere in the Yukon or Alaska cell signals can be few and far between. That's where the Weboost in the truck was so handy. It would pick up weak signals early, make them usable and hold onto them longer. It can't work miracles but they sure can extend the usable range.

The wi-fi amplifier exceeds expectations. We don't have a lot of data and on the road we do depend more on wi-fi. Before we'd pull into a parking lot and get close enough to use the wi-fi. Now we can pickup wi-fi from so far away we don't bother trying to go into a crowded parking lot unless we're going to eat there. Never thought that I'd have a wi-fi network in the trailer, being a low tech kind of guy, but it's proven to be really handy.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:33 PM   #51

Thanks Ron & Jon. You've sold me on the idea of the Ubiquiti NanoStation WiFi system. Your results are impressive. I'll look at the video, etc. and study up.

I like the idea of having a permanent antenna on the trailer where we'd want to set-up a hot spot and a smaller antenna, e.g. the one that comes with the Sleek, for the car. I'll have to study on on the options for a Trucker/OTR antenna.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:35 PM   #52

Wi-Fi / Ubiquiti Questions

I’ve done more reading and video viewing and have more questions. Originally, I was thinking about the more powerful units/antennas and am now thinking smaller for one thing. We have an appointment with Escape before the rally to get some work done; if need be, I’d like their help with any mods need to the trailer for installation.

1) Which “level” of component do you think is best for the casual traveler in Alaska & Canada as well as boondocking in the US? (e.g. We are not full time and don’t have blogs we need to keep up-to-date.) I’m tempted to go with the minimal equipment but as long as we’re at it I want to get the most useful.

The Outside-Our-Bubble video lists components for an under-$100 installation but a couple of people have mentioned they got the upgrades on both the NanoStation and the Access Point.
• NanoStation loco M2 vs. the NanoStation M2; Do you really appreciate the bigger antenna on the M2?
• AirGateway AirMax vs the AirGateway LR; Do you really need the Long Range (LR) for inside a 19’ Escape? Would placing it near the table vs the microwave make a difference?

2) We have solar and are TV/Cable ready. Does anyone know offhand if the ports for those can also be used for the cables for the WiFi & Cell Boosters? (I’ll ask Escape as well.)

4) How much power does the set-up use? (And thanks, Jon, for pointing out the TYcon Power TP-DCDC-1224 Power Over Ethernet power supply that runs directly on 12V.) Has anyone calculated it out or have a subjective idea? We have solar only, no generator, and rarely plug-in.

3) Can anyone give their experience or feelings about putting the Nanostation outside vs placing it inside the window? If placed outside, do you bring it in during travel?

4) Does anyone have experience and/or good advice on where to place the antenna given our solar panels if we decide to go external? I think that question was asked earlier and I didn’t see a response or I missed it.

5) It appears the more common internal placement for the access point is by the dinette table. For those who have it back by the microwave, how does that work for you? Would you need a higher powered access point if it’s back there? @DRJP/Johnathan mentioned having it by the microwave.

Thanks, Peggy
Old 04-10-2018, 07:37 PM   #53

Cell / WeBoost Questions

I have also been thinking more about the cellular booster. At this point, I’m back to thinking about one antenna in the trailer. I like Jon’s example of being able to drive to find a cell signal if need be, but this might be one area where I can start off more simply.

I’m looking at the WeBoost Drive Sleek for $200 which is the 4G-S replacement. I can find the 4G-S at a discount but the initial reviews I’ve read says the newer model doesn’t run as hot. For another $79, I can get it with the WeBoost OTR antenna.

I’m undecided about which way to go; using the small magnetic antenna vs a trucker/OTR antenna. The smaller magnetic antenna would be easier to “install”.
• Does anyone have experience with a comparison? E.g. Do you wish you’d gone with the bigger antenna? Does your trucker antenna perform better than other folks you meet up with?
• If you have the trucker/OTR antenna, where do you put it?

Peggy
Old 04-10-2018, 07:46 PM   #54

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
You will get likely get 50 different opinions based on mostly anecdotal experience. We Boost (Wilson Antenna) has a great technical support team who can give you the answers you are looking for.

For example- a mag mount antenna has the same gain as the trucker, however you need a ground plane on the trailer whereas the trucker has its own artificial one built in. Lot of other considerations and these guys and gals know their stuff and dont try to talk over your head.

800 204-4104.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:46 PM   #55

Anyone use the WiFi booster for their Phone Hot Spot in the Tow Vehicle?

Does anyone use the WiFi booster for their Phone Hot Spot in the Tow Vehicle?

It occurred to me that it should be possible to have the Cell Booster on our tow vehicle where we could create a hotspot and then use the WiFi Booster set-up on the trailer to bring the hot-spot into the trailer. It wouldn’t be the most convenient set-up, but it would mean only having to put the Cell Booster on the tow vehicle.

Any thoughts on that set-up? I’ve not seen that suggested anywhere.

I also forgot to ask about power consumption on the Cell Booster. With using the phone as a hotspot, we’d be powering multiple devices which might be too much of a drain on our solar powered batteries? Eg phone, cell booster, wifi booster, ipad or two. Maybe that would be asking too much of our solar capacity?

Peggy
Old 04-10-2018, 07:49 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
You will get likely get 50 different opinions based on mostly anecdotal experience. We Boost (Wilson Antenna) has a great technical support team who can give you the answers you are looking for.

For example- a mag mount antenna has the same gain as the trucker, however you need a ground plane on the trailer whereas the trucker has its own artificial one built in. Lot of other considerations and these guys and gals know their stuff and dont try to talk over your head.

800 204-4104.
Great response, Rossue I'll give We Boost a call tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 04-10-2018, 07:54 PM   #57
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy & Dennis View Post
• If you have the trucker/OTR antenna, where do you put it?

Peggy
I installed our trucker (with built-in ground plane) antenna so that the lead is inside an overhead cabinet. Simple to replace if the antenna gets damaged and easy to monitor for any water leaks.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:03 PM   #58

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA towed with a 2017 GMC Canyon V6
Just starting to think about this. It seems that there are two considerations: A wifi booster for use in a campground and a cell booster for use elsewhere. Or, possibly just using a cell booster all of the time. Do the experts think that a good solution would be to weld a mast mount on the spare tire holder, which would mount a mast on which both a wifi antenna and a cell booster would both be mounted?
jkordzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:10 PM   #59

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
When you ask about wifi in campground, what kind of campground? Very few public ones have it- we experienced our first at Mesa Verde last year.

As for the mast- we keep a mag mount antenna on the bumper and run it up to a detachable 8" diameter metal disc when needed. Its needed less over the last four years, yet we still use it.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:26 PM   #60

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA towed with a 2017 GMC Canyon V6
Well, I'm a newbie to RVing, but it sems like the ones we've looked into have wifi. In fact, I'm using the wifi at the one I'm at now in Anacortes WA and the next one we're going to at least claims to have it.
jkordzi is offline   Reply With Quote