Wifi, HDTV, Cell reception, - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2018, 09:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 21' in build process. April19 completion.
Wifi, HDTV, Cell reception,

Just placed a deposit on a Escape 21. Now the build any thoughts on Wifi systems, TV antenna's, Cell boosters. I have not talked to anyone at Escape yet. Do they offer anything or will they install something I might purchase. Thanks for the help.

cdmixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:18 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I had ETI install my cellphone booster antenna in the overhead cabinet just aft of the fridge on my 21; reason was the cord routing was easy and I could easily change the antenna should it get broken/bent. Reinforced the wall between the closet and nightstand so I could hang the TV there; have a swivel mount to watch it in both ends of the trailer.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:57 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
We purchased and shipped a Truckers Antenna to ETI for Installation. The WeBoost cradle is in the upper cabinet, above the driver’s side drawer stack of our 21. Most of the time we get good WiFi reception with just the Jetpack, but when in remote areas, the Jetpack in the WeBoost cradle is always excellent!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 49F1B8F1-1F8E-44A9-88CD-599C08CA13AC.jpg (167.4 KB, 52 views)

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:56 AM   #4

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
We purchased and shipped a Truckers Antenna to ETI for Installation. The WeBoost cradle is in the upper cabinet, above the driver’s side drawer stack of our 21. Most of the time we get good WiFi reception with just the Jetpack, but when in remote areas, the Jetpack in the WeBoost cradle is always excellent!
Sadly, Linda has told me no more after market antenna installs. Hope we are wrong.
Berndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:40 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Most cg's have wi/fi and cable, so a tv ready option is all you would need. Boondocking means no tv signals and sparse cell phone reception. One or the other, your choice.....
Old 11-18-2018, 07:59 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Whatever you do, don't plan on using free WiFi in campgrounds. Most generally it's awful, especially during bad weather and everyone is trying to use it. This is a case you get exactly what you pay for. During my big trip, I found the best wifi in campgrounds were the ones I paid a nominal fee ($2 for 24 hours) and received a random access password. And even that wasn't as good as I had hoped.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:09 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19' Oct '18
Send a message via Skype™ to Upfisk
We went with the coax cable only for the TV. Hope if we someday add a cell phone booster that it can be plugged into the TV cable, and all we would have to do is install the antenna. The complete systems are expensive for a someday we might need application.
Upfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:19 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 21 due Dec 2018, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmixer View Post
Just placed a deposit on a Escape 21. Now the build any thoughts on Wifi systems, TV antenna's, Cell boosters. I have not talked to anyone at Escape yet. Do they offer anything or will they install something I might purchase. Thanks for the help.
We bought the Jack TV antenna and found that where there were TV signals available, it was a pretty good picture quality (we have a 12V HDTV), probably better than your average campground cable, which we found is mostly standard definition only. However, IMHO the quality of most network TV shows in the evenings can be pretty low, so we found that it was better to take a small dvd player (or other source of digital movies ) for when you are inside during inclement weather or long dark evenings and want some additional entertainment options. As Donna Dee noted above, unless you can find your own source of data, or the campground has recently upgraded its wifi to something with better bandwidth, internet based options such as Netflix are generally impossible and not worth pursuing, unless there is a campground maybe running a premium wifi service, which comes with a cost, but then at least its an option.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:26 AM   #9

Trailer: 21' in build process. April19 completion.
Thank you for the replies.
cdmixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:45 AM   #10

Trailer: 2019 21’ on order
In the past, we have had good luck with the predecessor of this model in very remote locations. Of course, if there is no signal to boost, no matter what you have won't help. 5 x 0 is still 0.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073V5S3T7...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Like the OP, I'm still thinking through just how to install the magnetic based antenna on the roof of a 21'. Previously I just used double stick tape to attach a metal ground plane to the roof surface. Thats the easy part. Now I need to get the antenna lead inside. On a previous RV, I was able to snake the antenna lead down through the roof mounted exhaust vent. Similar to the MaxxAir. The cable was thin enough to just fit between the fan blade and the housing around the blade without the blade cutting the wire. Whether I'll be able to do the same on the Escape 21 time will tell.

The other issue I'm researching is whether or not, crawling around on the roof is OK. Using the search function on the forum yields answers from 'no' to 'maybe' to 'yes'. I've sent an e-mail to ETI asking for their official opinion about me, 200#, sitting on the roof working on the MaxxFan.

Any ideas about getting the antenna wire inside would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ed

EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cell boosters, tv antenna's, wifi systems