Wilson Antenna Parts arrived - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2015, 03:16 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Except for "Road Warriors" a smartphone's hotspot capability is great. That capability is usually a function of one's rate plan. The newer shared data plans for both AT&T/Verizon include this feature. Older unlimited data plans do not.

Some customers like mifi as they don't drain down the battery on the smartphone and usually have better battery performance anyway. Another reason I refuse to use a phone with a battery you can't switch out. Am usually swapping my battery while camping as the battery drain is higher when the signal is lower or non-existent. In those situations you can turn you phone to Flight Mode to conserve the battery but still use it as a clock or night light.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:56 PM   #42

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
You can get a separate plan for a MiFi or a "bundled" plan from many carriers. I guess the bundled plan treats the MiFi as an add on device. In that case they would probably share the data on the plan.
Right. I have a phone and a mobile hotspot (not a MiFi, another brand of equivalent device) on a Telus plan. They could be handled separately, but I buy a voice package for the phone, pay a flat fee to add the mobile hotspot as an additional device, and buy a block of data which is shared between the two devices. This plan allows any number of devices to share data, with the fee per device depending on the type of device.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:02 PM   #43
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Some customers like mifi as they don't drain down the battery on the smartphone and usually have better battery performance anyway.
In my case, the Sleek Cradle has a USB port on the side. I use it for the charging cable of the Hotspot. I'm not sure if keeping it fully charged (plugged in) is detrimental to the Hotspot device, so I occasionally unplug it and let the battery deplete before plugging it back in.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:08 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I'm not sure if keeping it fully charged (plugged in) is detrimental to the Hotspot device, so I occasionally unplug it and let the battery deplete before plugging it back in.
It presumably has a lithium-ion battery. While they handle deep cycling well (although they are destroyed by complete discharge), I don't think there is any problem with floating them. My mobile hotspot is left powered for days at a time, and never deliberately run down. When I do accidentally leave it on without external power, it still goes for hours. If it is left on with external power and no WiFi activity, the device - including its battery - doesn't get warm.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:24 AM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
My Droid Maxx phone worked quite well as a hot spot in the trailer with the sleek. I did not try it outside. We had it just aft of the fridge in the overhead. The trucker antenna was just above mounted on the roof. No issues with feedback even that close.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:13 AM   #46

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It presumably has a lithium-ion battery. While they handle deep cycling well (although they are destroyed by complete discharge), I don't think there is any problem with floating them. My mobile hotspot is left powered for days at a time, and never deliberately run down. When I do accidentally leave it on without external power, it still goes for hours. If it is left on with external power and no WiFi activity, the device - including its battery - doesn't get warm.
A number of us have had problems leaving a MHS291LVW in a Sleek. The Sleek gets fairly warm and the battery in the hotspot swells to the point where the back will not stay on. To be honest, I don't know if it is just the heat, overcharging, or a combination of both, but after replacing the battery, I only power both when necessary.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:51 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
A number of us have had problems leaving a MHS291LVW in a Sleek. The Sleek gets fairly warm and the battery in the hotspot swells to the point where the back will not stay on. To be honest, I don't know if it is just the heat, overcharging, or a combination of both, but after replacing the battery, I only power both when necessary.
That's interesting. My hotspot's battery is slightly swollen as well, but not to the point of being unable to get the back of the case to stay on. I wonder if being in the cradle - which surrounds the device - is making heat problems worse. All of this radio gear gets hot in use, and I've never seen an accessory from the device manufacturer which surrounds the device - they offer docks for some hotspots, but know to stand the device up rather than envelop it in a cradle.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:42 PM   #48

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
My setup uses the same parts. Had a 12V drop put into the driver side cabinet aft of the fridge in my 21, where the antenna was installed, then added a side mount cig outlet to power the cradle, which connected through an adapter to the antenna. Cradle works great sitting in the cabinet, so no need to mess up the outside of the cabinet with a holder for the cradle. Male plug-in has a USB output to charge the phone while it's online. Makes it simple to replace the antenna should that be needed.
OK after reading through this thread, I'm still confused. My build sheet is due on Monday so I hope someone can help me on this. I ordered the antenna and shipped that to ETI. I did not order the adapter or the cradle because I thought we could just bring that with us and install it ourselves. Please let me know if I'm wrong on that.

Also I'm confused about power sources that are needed for this. Am I right in understanding that I need ETI to install a 12V outlet at the antenna location for the antenna, plus an additional 12V for the cradle? The 'side mount cig outlet' is confusing me. Why is a side mount needed? Probably just to keep things out of the way, but I just want to be sure.

Thank you in advance!
Jill
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:14 PM   #49

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
The antenna does not require power. The cradle, or booster, does require 12v. I think the "side mount cig outlet" is just an additional 12v outlet that allows for surface mounting rather than having to drill a hole. Either 12v outlet will work.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:16 PM   #50

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Just 12v for the cradle, wherever you want it to be. I usa a USB cable instead of the cig lighter job. It does need the higher 2.4A USB power supply though.

The antenna cable should terminate in the same area as it connects to the cradle too.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:31 PM   #51
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
OK after reading through this thread, I'm still confused. My build sheet is due on Monday so I hope someone can help me on this. I ordered the antenna and shipped that to ETI. I did not order the adapter or the cradle because I thought we could just bring that with us and install it ourselves. Please let me know if I'm wrong on that.

Also I'm confused about power sources that are needed for this. Am I right in understanding that I need ETI to install a 12V outlet at the antenna location for the antenna, plus an additional 12V for the cradle? The 'side mount cig outlet' is confusing me. Why is a side mount needed? Probably just to keep things out of the way, but I just want to be sure.

Thank you in advance!
Jill
The side mount 12V outlet I used let me attach it to the inside framing of the cabinet instead of having it on the face of the cabinet. That way I could wind up the excess antenna cable and tie wrap it to the outlet instead of having excess wire to deal with. I just open the cabinet door to plug in the cradle, only one 12V outlet is needed to power the cradle - antenna does not get power.

No cradle installed. I just plug it in when needed as I also use it in my truck

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:32 PM   #52
Site Team

Jill, our cradle came with a USB cable and a 12V Plug that attaches to that cable. Since we had ETI install a 12V drop in the overhead cabinet, wiring it up was easy. We picked up a 12V socket with just bare wires on the end (as in the picture below) and attached the wires to the 12V drop wires. Then, just plugged in the cradle.
Attached Thumbnails
atcsocketbare_xlrg.jpg  
Old 08-28-2015, 08:56 PM   #53
Site Team

Or, maybe this drawing will better explain how I powered it:
Attached Thumbnails
wilson power connections.jpg  
Old 08-29-2015, 02:55 PM   #54

Thank you Robert - those pics helped a bunch!

Now 1 more question. On the 21 it could be installed near the fridge like Charlie did, or above the nightstand. The standard TV install is done at the nightstand. Is there any reason not to do this cell phone setup there as well?
Old 08-29-2015, 05:00 PM   #55
Commercial Member

Quote:
Thank you Robert - those pics helped a bunch!

Now 1 more question. On the 21 it could be installed near the fridge like Charlie did, or above the nightstand. The standard TV install is done at the nightstand. Is there any reason not to do this cell phone setup there as well?
No reason it couldn't be there, although the end of the overhead cabinet above the night stand has a lot of items/wires inside and on the surface. I had my TV jack moved to under that area instead of the face of the cabinet.

I just thought it easier to have it on the other side of the fridge as it could all tuck behind the cabinet face up against the fridge wall to not interfere with stowed items AND it would be a lot easier to access for setup and/or replacement of a broken antenna should that happen.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 08-29-2015, 10:50 PM   #56

Thanks Charlie. That makes sense. We're going with your recommendation. I sure appreciate everyone patiently explaining their solutions so people like me who don't know what they're getting into can create a build sheet that makes sense!
Old 08-29-2015, 11:24 PM   #57
Commercial Member

Quote:
Thanks Charlie. That makes sense. We're going with your recommendation. I sure appreciate everyone patiently explaining their solutions so people like me who don't know what they're getting into can create a build sheet that makes sense!
You can see where it enters the cabinet rear of the fridge here, forward of the cabinet door opening.
Attached Thumbnails
Wk1 fridge_closet.JPG  

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 08-30-2015, 12:53 AM   #58

Trailer: 2005 T@B Moving to 21' Escape
Having reviewed this full thread a couple of times and looking at other online sources, I have a few questions. I see that mounting this antenna requires a significant hole (3/8") in the roof specifically for the Wilson "Trucker" antenna. Are there issues if one needs to replace our upgrade this antenna down the road? Who knows how long Wilson will continue to make this antenna. Is the hole size compliant with some standard? I saw that one owner is talking of an upgrade to a Marine antenna (the Wilson version I presume). It needs a 1" thread mount. It also appears that this antenna might not be the best for the 700MHz frequency predominantly used by Verizon for 4G. Is there a better option anyone know about? I am looking for some roof mount unit. I know I can ultimately go flag pole with a directional antenna if I really need the reach, but that is in the future. Has anyone gone the conduit approach to providing cable hook up to other antennas, wifi or cellular?
slloyd47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:20 AM   #59

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I went with the Boatant marine antenna, seems to work just fine for my Verizon but I don't have 4G. Cable went through the fridge vent and mounting block is shaped to the roof line and glued in place. Booster is in the cabinet next to the fridge.
Attached Thumbnails
Antenna.jpg  
Old 08-30-2015, 08:43 AM   #60

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by slloyd47 View Post
Having reviewed this full thread a couple of times and looking at other online sources, I have a few questions. I see that mounting this antenna requires a significant hole (3/8") in the roof specifically for the Wilson "Trucker" antenna. Are there issues if one needs to replace our upgrade this antenna down the road? Who knows how long Wilson will continue to make this antenna. Is the hole size compliant with some standard? I saw that one owner is talking of an upgrade to a Marine antenna (the Wilson version I presume). It needs a 1" thread mount. It also appears that this antenna might not be the best for the 700MHz frequency predominantly used by Verizon for 4G. Is there a better option anyone know about? I am looking for some roof mount unit. I know I can ultimately go flag pole with a directional antenna if I really need the reach, but that is in the future. Has anyone gone the conduit approach to providing cable hook up to other antennas, wifi or cellular?
No matter what brand/model antenna you purchase, I can just abut guarantee that you will be replacing it in the future. Fiberglass trailers last far longer than frequency changes for cell systems. As new bands become available to the cell companies, they will add them, requiring new antennas that perform at the new frequencies.

In planning an installation, I'd be sure that the path between the outside antenna & the inside amplifier is as replaceable as possible. This is from someone that had to re run the wiring behind the bathroom in an Escape 17B to replace an antenna with a permanent cable because of a couple of broken radials.