Window Valance - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2016, 10:38 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 "Bubbles"
Window Valance

Has anyone installed a valance and attached it to the existing blinds? My wife wants to make some and was thinking of running Velcro the full length of the window. I thought maybe just a couple of short strips placed strategically. If you have any suggestions please let me know.
grantpallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:05 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I never had any in my 2009, they weren't doing them yet, but I think Escape attaches them to the cabinet above. This is what I would do too. You could just use a couple small L-brackets hidden behind the valance.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:12 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
It's as Jim mentions for the current valances. They are held on with 2 screws, one at each end attaching it to the cabinet above. The valance seems to be a short wooden block at either end of a strip of thin plywood or some sort of cardboard, the whole unit covered with fabric. Can post pics if you want.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:14 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
The valence is now standard. The valence is screwed to the cupboard above by two screws. The blinds are now attached directly to the cupbord with clips. I have had all of them down as we replaced the blinds with insulated curtains. The problem with Velcro is getting it to stick to either the wall paneling or the window frame (I know from my refitting trials.). If I were you, I would look at how the valences are made and duplicate ETI's design. Two blocks of wood with 1/4 inch plywood for the facing with batting and fabric stapled to it.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:33 PM   #5

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
The valence is now standard. The valence is screwed to the cupboard above by two screws. The blinds are now attached directly to the cupboard with clips. I have had all of them down as we replaced the blinds with insulated curtains. (snip)
What type of curtains did you use? We're going to have ETI not put in the blinds (a $125 credit) and order cellular shades, such as the cordless ones from Bali (which we have in our house). Crystal said there's room under the overhead cabinets for installation. Someone posted some time ago they have this type of blinds in their trailer and I was wondering if that was you. And without the ETI blinds I won't have to worry about banging into the black thingie that holds the cords and sticks out.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
What keeps those Bali shades from swinging away from the windows in a moving vehicle?
Old 01-03-2016, 01:45 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I actually quite liked the shades in our 19. Real simple design, work great, and easy to fix if needed (and we needed on a couple).

But then, there are lots of stock items many are good with, but I am going to change.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:49 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
What type of curtains did you use? We're going to have ETI not put in the blinds (a $125 credit) and order cellular shades, such as the cordless ones from Bali (which we have in our house). Crystal said there's room under the overhead cabinets for installation. Someone posted some time ago they have this type of blinds in their trailer and I was wondering if that was you. And without the ETI blinds I won't have to worry about banging into the black thingie that holds the cords and sticks out.
Made our own with warm window fabric. No knobs, no drafts, less condensation, better in heat and cold. Original post in Latest Mods

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...html#post91812
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Caution on the cells. We put the cordless blackout cells in our 17b and liked them a lot. The 17 had loops built into the bottom of the window that looped around the cells to hold them tight to the window. However, you had to put them up and rubber band them closed for travel. If you left them down when towing, the internal strings broke fairly quickly. We got a full set of replacements under warranty, but they didn't know they were being used in an RV. As long as you follow the towing procedure they seemed to hold up fairly well.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:36 PM   #10

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Caution on the cells. We put the cordless blackout cells in our 17b and liked them a lot. The 17 had loops built into the bottom of the window that looped around the cells to hold them tight to the window. However, you had to put them up and rubber band them closed for travel. If you left them down when towing, the internal strings broke fairly quickly. We got a full set of replacements under warranty, but they didn't know they were being used in an RV. As long as you follow the towing procedure they seemed to hold up fairly well.
Thanks for this info, Greg. I was planning on putting some sort of wrap around the shades while in transit.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Made our own with warm window fabric. No knobs, no drafts, less condensation, better in heat and cold.
Nice! Very bright and cheerful.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:31 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 "Bubbles"
Thanks everyone for your replies, we will work with something like the factory so if you could post picks that would be great!
Sandra and I will also look at the post on blackout curtains.
grantpallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:35 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Hi Tech.... could you send pictures of the window treatment you made?
Nancy
The Quilting Lady
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
curtain valance