Windows: Frameless vs. Framed - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2016, 08:12 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
With the MaxFan on, I doubt it matters what type of window you have, both will allow air inside, I would much rather leave my fan on and my awning window open while absent from the unit and not worry about rain.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:17 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
With the MaxFan on, I doubt it matters what type of window you have, both will allow air inside, I would much rather leave my fan on and my awning window open while absent from the unit and not worry about rain.
I agree Jim, the only windows we leave open in our 17 when we leave the trailer during the day are the front awning style ones.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:50 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I crack both passive vents and turn on the Maxx Fan and leave no windows open in the rain. Works fine.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:07 PM   #24

Trailer: 2012 15A
It's not like these are big trailers that have to be vented by the windows.
One advantage of the top hinged window over the slider is that it should not allow water to collect in the bottom of the frame channel and leak into the trailer like the sliders do. (a problem here where it rains, not so much in CA and AZ??)
Any open window with the Max Fan on will quickly exchange the air in the Escape trailers.
Of course the fan will not cool the trailer below the outside air temperature. The moving air will however feel cooler. IMHO.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:42 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I was over at storage lot doing some work and had never really seen up close frameless Windows. So I walked through the lot and found two stick builds with frameless Windows.

Personally, from an aesthetic point I didn't really like the look but others certainly will, just personal preference. I was able to see and verify many of the reported issues. You can take your fingers and lift the window away from the gasket somewhat. So I can see that the windows lifting up some during tow would be possible, especially at high speeds.
Some reports are that the Windows stick to the gasket after long periods of being closed and it would take two people one outside and one in to get them open initially without damaging the hardware. When I lifted several of the Windows on one of the trailers it made an adhesive tearing type sound as it unstuck from the gasket, so this may be an accurate issue report.

If you use a storage lot or have an RV show near you I would recommend you do as I did tonight and go see them and play around with them. It's a big decision since ETI is allowing the choice to get the framed or frameless.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:21 PM   #26

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I was over at storage lot doing some work and had never really seen up close frameless Windows. So I walked through the lot and found two stick builds with frameless Windows.

Personally, from an aesthetic point I didn't really like the look but others certainly will, just personal preference. I was able to see and verify many of the reported issues. You can take your fingers and lift the window away from the gasket somewhat. So I can see that the windows lifting up some during tow would be possible, especially at high speeds.
Some reports are that the Windows stick to the gasket after long periods of being closed and it would take two people one outside and one in to get them open initially without damaging the hardware. When I lifted several of the Windows on one of the trailers it made an adhesive tearing type sound as it unstuck from the gasket, so this may be an accurate issue report.

If you use a storage lot or have an RV show near you I would recommend you do as I did tonight and go see them and play around with them. It's a big decision since ETI is allowing the choice to get the framed or frameless.
Hi Gregg interesting you mentioned window sticking to gasket . The Escape window when we open it , is hard to open at first too .It sticks to frame . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:44 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

Personally, from an aesthetic point I didn't really like the look but others certainly will, just personal preference.
Yup, huge variation in people's likes and dislikes.

On a recent trip we were coming up alongside a stickie with frameless windows. I've always put trim around any windows I've fabricated so the frameless windows look unfinished to me. But my wife noticied the slab of glass slightly projecting from the side of the adjacent trailer and also commented that it looked unfinished. This was when it was only a rumor that ETI might be switching to them. So I said that I think that's the type ETI is switching to. Oh, she said, I don't like the look at all.

So once again we'll have some folks loving frameless windows, no range hood, no bathroom window, not rotating the stove 90*, 2 burners or 3, oven or not.

We are a diverse lot.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:17 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I routinely apply Aerospace 303 to my door and MaxFan rubber gaskets as well as the exterior window rubber seals on the older frame windows. I expect to continue this process with the newer frameless windows to keep those gaskets pliable.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:34 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I routinely apply Aerospace 303 to my door and MaxFan rubber gaskets as well as the exterior window rubber seals on the older frame windows. I expect to continue this process with the newer frameless windows to keep those gaskets pliable.
Yep, that 303 really seems to make a huge difference on protecting rubber and plastics exposed to UV.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-18-2016, 08:56 AM   #30

Trailer: Bigfoot 25T21RB
The sticking issue is chronic with this type of window. A friend with an Airstream has frameless windows all round, and none of them will open without two people and/or a fine blade between the gasket and the glass to carefully pry it open. One window was broken when too much force was used to release the seal. A spendy lesson learned :-( That said...I like the look and would love an opening rear window in my 21.

Off topic, has anyone had issues with the tinting on the rear window?? Mine has gone all cloudy. Thinking of the opening window as an upgrade if it's a drop-in retrofit.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:35 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Is this a thermal window? If so it sounds like it has failed. Would check with Hehr re: warranty coverage.

Edit: Hehr's warranty doc states you need to work with the OEM- or Escape in this instance. Looks like it has a 3 year warranty- hopefully that is correct.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:46 AM   #32

Yes - it is a thermal window. Looks like cloudy swirls, as if it was wipe with a really dirty cloth and left to dry. I'm going to drop into the factory on my way to Osooyos and get them to have a look at it. Maybe it's something I did when cleaning??
Old 04-18-2016, 10:54 AM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Yes - Maybe it's something I did when cleaning??
I doubt it. Sounds like a failed seal which allows humidity in and causes yours symptoms. I have a couple in my house that I'm looking at, sigh, another project to do. By comparison, my failed units are over 20 years old.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:55 AM   #34

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Ah, but, your house spends less time on the road.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:59 AM   #35

Thanks for the input guys. I'll call Hehr and see if there is a dealer here on the island that can have a look at it. I'd really like to contribute to the 'whats out your rear window' thread :-)
Old 04-18-2016, 11:08 AM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Casper, my rear window has gone cloudy too. For a long time I thought it was because I was a poor window washer. But I washed and washed and washed one day and it was still cloudy. It only shows up when the light is just right. you can see it in the attached photo. There are some marks that make it look like something dripped down in the middle of the window.

I contacted Reese and he said that Hehr is sending me a new window. It should be here any day now.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0456.jpg  
Old 04-18-2016, 11:14 AM   #37

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
A little bit of an FYI aside related to Hehr Windows. I don't like the Hehr stickers on every window and I always scrape them off when I restore trailers. The older the trailer the harder they are to remove. They came right off the new 19 this weekend with a razor blade in seconds.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:18 AM   #38

Hi Leon- good to hear; are they paying for labor too? Am fairly handy mechanically but would not want to install a window myself.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:20 AM   #39

Quote:
A little bit of an FYI aside related to Hehr Windows. I don't like the Hehr stickers on every window and I always scrape them off when I restore trailers. The older the trailer the harder they are to remove. They came right off the new 19 this weekend with a razor blade in seconds.
Good point, I did too but not as soon as my graphics so I can see a little of the remnant. Best product to use now anyone?
Old 04-18-2016, 11:26 AM   #40

Leon, sorry to hear about the thermal window failing and glad once again to hear Reace and ETI are providing great customer service. Given what I have experienced with thermal, double pane window in our home and greenhouse, I'm not surprised at all that they might have a fairly high failure rate in the "traveling earthquake" (thanks Donna) that our trailers are.