Windows: Frameless vs. Framed - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-17-2016, 09:12 PM   #21
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 13,661
With the MaxFan on, I doubt it matters what type of window you have, both will allow air inside, I would much rather leave my fan on and my awning window open while absent from the unit and not worry about rain.
__________________

__________________
Jim
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why………..Mark Twain
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:17 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
thoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Galesville, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Posts: 3,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
With the MaxFan on, I doubt it matters what type of window you have, both will allow air inside, I would much rather leave my fan on and my awning window open while absent from the unit and not worry about rain.
I agree Jim, the only windows we leave open in our 17 when we leave the trailer during the day are the front awning style ones.
__________________

__________________
Eric (and Mary who is in no way responsible for anything stupid I post)

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:50 PM   #23
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 6,825
I crack both passive vents and turn on the Maxx Fan and leave no windows open in the rain. Works fine.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:07 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
JohnB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2012 15A
Posts: 395
It's not like these are big trailers that have to be vented by the windows.
One advantage of the top hinged window over the slider is that it should not allow water to collect in the bottom of the frame channel and leak into the trailer like the sliders do. (a problem here where it rains, not so much in CA and AZ??)
Any open window with the Max Fan on will quickly exchange the air in the Escape trailers.
Of course the fan will not cool the trailer below the outside air temperature. The moving air will however feel cooler. IMHO.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:42 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 2,146
I was over at storage lot doing some work and had never really seen up close frameless Windows. So I walked through the lot and found two stick builds with frameless Windows.

Personally, from an aesthetic point I didn't really like the look but others certainly will, just personal preference. I was able to see and verify many of the reported issues. You can take your fingers and lift the window away from the gasket somewhat. So I can see that the windows lifting up some during tow would be possible, especially at high speeds.
Some reports are that the Windows stick to the gasket after long periods of being closed and it would take two people one outside and one in to get them open initially without damaging the hardware. When I lifted several of the Windows on one of the trailers it made an adhesive tearing type sound as it unstuck from the gasket, so this may be an accurate issue report.

If you use a storage lot or have an RV show near you I would recommend you do as I did tonight and go see them and play around with them. It's a big decision since ETI is allowing the choice to get the framed or frameless.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:21 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 4,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I was over at storage lot doing some work and had never really seen up close frameless Windows. So I walked through the lot and found two stick builds with frameless Windows.

Personally, from an aesthetic point I didn't really like the look but others certainly will, just personal preference. I was able to see and verify many of the reported issues. You can take your fingers and lift the window away from the gasket somewhat. So I can see that the windows lifting up some during tow would be possible, especially at high speeds.
Some reports are that the Windows stick to the gasket after long periods of being closed and it would take two people one outside and one in to get them open initially without damaging the hardware. When I lifted several of the Windows on one of the trailers it made an adhesive tearing type sound as it unstuck from the gasket, so this may be an accurate issue report.

If you use a storage lot or have an RV show near you I would recommend you do as I did tonight and go see them and play around with them. It's a big decision since ETI is allowing the choice to get the framed or frameless.
Hi Gregg interesting you mentioned window sticking to gasket . The Escape window when we open it , is hard to open at first too .It sticks to frame . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:44 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Posts: 3,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post

Personally, from an aesthetic point I didn't really like the look but others certainly will, just personal preference.
Yup, huge variation in people's likes and dislikes.

On a recent trip we were coming up alongside a stickie with frameless windows. I've always put trim around any windows I've fabricated so the frameless windows look unfinished to me. But my wife noticied the slab of glass slightly projecting from the side of the adjacent trailer and also commented that it looked unfinished. This was when it was only a rumor that ETI might be switching to them. So I said that I think that's the type ETI is switching to. Oh, she said, I don't like the look at all.

So once again we'll have some folks loving frameless windows, no range hood, no bathroom window, not rotating the stove 90*, 2 burners or 3, oven or not.

We are a diverse lot.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:17 AM   #28
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 13,661
I routinely apply Aerospace 303 to my door and MaxFan rubber gaskets as well as the exterior window rubber seals on the older frame windows. I expect to continue this process with the newer frameless windows to keep those gaskets pliable.
__________________
Jim
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why………..Mark Twain
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:34 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
thoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Galesville, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Posts: 3,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I routinely apply Aerospace 303 to my door and MaxFan rubber gaskets as well as the exterior window rubber seals on the older frame windows. I expect to continue this process with the newer frameless windows to keep those gaskets pliable.
Yep, that 303 really seems to make a huge difference on protecting rubber and plastics exposed to UV.
__________________
Eric (and Mary who is in no way responsible for anything stupid I post)

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:56 AM   #30
Member
 
Casper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Shawnigan Lake, British Columbia
Trailer: Casper-21 Escape 2014
Posts: 36
The sticking issue is chronic with this type of window. A friend with an Airstream has frameless windows all round, and none of them will open without two people and/or a fine blade between the gasket and the glass to carefully pry it open. One window was broken when too much force was used to release the seal. A spendy lesson learned :-( That said...I like the look and would love an opening rear window in my 21.

Off topic, has anyone had issues with the tinting on the rear window?? Mine has gone all cloudy. Thinking of the opening window as an upgrade if it's a drop-in retrofit.
__________________

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.