Windows: Frameless vs. Framed - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2016, 11:42 AM   #41

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
The sticking issue .... Thinking of the opening window as an upgrade if it's a drop-in retrofit.
I was thinking an opening back window would be a great upgrade. I was going to ask Reace about it at the rally, but If you find out it's an available retrofit before then, maybe you could post it here.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:42 AM   #42

Trailer: Bigfoot 25T21RB
That's exactly what mine looks like, and my trailer is a 2014 too. I wonder if our windows are from the same batch. I'll call Reace and see what the options are. Thx Alisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Casper, my rear window has gone cloudy too. For a long time I thought it was because I was a poor window washer. But I washed and washed and washed one day and it was still cloudy. It only shows up when the light is just right. you can see it in the attached photo. There are some marks that make it look like something dripped down in the middle of the window.

I contacted Reese and he said that Hehr is sending me a new window. It should be here any day now.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
I was thinking an opening back window would be a great upgrade. I was going to ask Reace about it at the rally, but If you find out it's an available retrofit before then, maybe you could post it here.
I seem to recall that I asked ETI if the new 2017 windows were a different size hole

And they said yes.

But do t quote me.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:24 PM   #44

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
A little bit of an FYI aside related to Hehr Windows. I don't like the Hehr stickers on every window and I always scrape them off when I restore trailers. The older the trailer the harder they are to remove. They came right off the new 19 this weekend with a razor blade in seconds.
Other brands use stickers, too. I don't like them either; they're in the same category to me as a dealership sticker on the back of a car. Earlier is definitely easier.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:45 PM   #45

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
While I'm not questioning the effectiveness of the Aerospace 303 Protectant, there are other options. The typical product to maintain gaskets around car doors, and to keep them from sticking, is silicone lubricant.

I'm guessing the new double-pane "frameless" windows are Hehr 6400 (better description from ParKin Accessories). I didn't find any maintenance information from Hehr specific to the 6400 series or sticking gaskets; the series doesn't seem to be mentioned in their Service Manual.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:28 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
I seem to recall that I asked ETI if the new 2017 windows were a different size hole

And they said yes.

But do t quote me.
I got clarification today from ETI - about the 2017 Escape frameless thermal windows... vs the slider (older style) thermal windows

and I quote

"Majority of the windows (on the 2017 Escapes) are the same size (as before).

Having said that, there are some in the (2017) 21' which are different than the 2016 model (of 21')"
Old 05-14-2016, 09:06 PM   #47
GCS

Trailer: 1976 Aljo
Does it make much difference in the bathroom ? Which one to go with ?
GCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:08 PM   #48

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The frameless is thermal and awning style, the standard is not thermal and slides up.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:42 AM   #49

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
Resurrecting old thread. sorry. Is it possible to go with framed slider thermal windows throughout trailer, but have one Frameless at the rear for the purpose of being able to open?
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:11 AM   #50
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes99 View Post
Resurrecting old thread. sorry. Is it possible to go with framed slider thermal windows throughout trailer, but have one Frameless at the rear for the purpose of being able to open?
May I ask why? The frameless thermal windows are a much desired feature, with a much cleaner look, and the awning style opening means they can be open in the rain. If I were having a new Escape built, I can't see any reason for going with the older windows.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2017, 07:03 AM   #51

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
I was told by another member on the forum that ETI will not mix window types.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:29 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I was told by another member on the forum that ETI will not mix window types.
I was told the same thing.

Also - just my 2 c - we have the frameless - and LOVE them.

John
Old 04-16-2017, 08:53 AM   #53

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
I can't think of any reasons to have the older style windows apart from cost. We have the new frameless windows and they look so much better and can of course open in the rain.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:31 AM   #54

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
unless you already have a trailer on order, supposedly the framed slider thermal windows are no longer available.
wondered the same thing however last year when the new model came out, guessing no... but then again if you have a trailer on order ETI is the one to ask.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:20 AM   #55

According to the responses, it Sounds like I'm way of here, I was looking at the excel sheet for the options list, posted by a member, and it appeared that insulated with frameless were a $1500 option and the same with framed were a $1000 option, (this may not be current) I've always had sliders in our trailer and have never had a problem with them. In snooping around forums and this one included it appears members have reported problems. Not just with escapes but other makers as well. Not to say everyone has problems but just that some have reported.
I'm also from the camp, that it has to do more then look good, it has to function even better. That being said, mind is not made up yet.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:21 AM   #56

And if framed slider window no available, them my mind is made up for me.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:36 AM   #57

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
The only problem I have heard of so far with the awning windows in Escapes was a rock thrown by a mower. ETI has been installing them for a year now. Have I missed something?
Old 04-16-2017, 11:50 AM   #58

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
And if framed slider window no available, them my mind is made up for me.
yes ETI made up your mind for you if you don't have one already on order, but other trailer mfgs have done this as well.....but when looking at theses awning windows perhaps also look at how they are installed and the wall/window frame construction and materials, that differs among trailer mfgs and may play a part in any issue you have read about.

since your looking at ETI may as well consider something else new with 2017 models , how do you feel about the latest in power awnings?...ETI however does allow you to select a manual awning with support legs..at least for now...

Quote:
I'm also from the camp, that it has to do more then look good, it has to function even better.
agree with you on that, but IMHO trailer mfgs seem to focus on the "make it pretty"...that's what seems to sell stuff....
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:57 AM   #59

Im looking even at some of the comments early in this actual thread.. Is there no one that actually prefers the sliders. Some comments refer to window lifting away while traveling down high way, gasket lifting from between window and frame, cross breeze. I'm not bashing them, I may end up with them Just trying to make the right decision (if there's a decision to be made).
I have no experience with frameless. My previous trailers have been sliders, all my houses have had sliders (whether side to side or up and down). Never been a problem.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:03 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
yes ETI made up your mind for you if you don't have one already on order, but other trailer mfgs have done this as well.....now if your still looking at ETI , how do you feel about the latest in power awnings with no support legs?...however ETI does allow you to select a manual awning with support legs..at least for now...
I love and need power awning. Must have power awning.
Sorry haven't learned the emoji section yet.

We have decided on ETI and will be getting my deposit Tuesday morning.

Hope no one is taking my visit here as bashing any part of the Escape, we do love them and one will hopefully be parked in my driveway sometime this or next year.