Windows: Frameless vs. Framed - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2017, 12:07 PM   #61

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I prefer the sliders Bakes99. Ive researched them, operated them at RV shows, and on current model Escapes. I just personally prefer the sliders. However, as everyone says above I'm pretty sure ETI has cut them off on new Escapes, so a moot point if ordering new.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:22 PM   #62

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes99 View Post
Im looking even at some of the comments early in this actual thread.. Is there no one that actually prefers the sliders. Some comments refer to window lifting away while traveling down high way, gasket lifting from between window and frame, cross breeze. I'm not bashing them, I may end up with them Just trying to make the right decision (if there's a decision to be made).
I have no experience with frameless. My previous trailers have been sliders, all my houses have had sliders (whether side to side or up and down). Never been a problem.
ordered a 2017 with slider windows...with several months to green light decision on production and then delivery, it could be the last of these type 2017 model ETI trailers off the lot....
this camper has also been reluctant to give up the daily use of a flip phone and embrace the latest and greatest phones (but do have one, just don't use it much).
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:23 PM   #63

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I prefer the sliders Bakes99. Ive researched them, operated them at RV shows, and on current model Escapes. I just personally prefer the sliders. However, as everyone says above I'm pretty sure ETI has cut them off on new Escapes, so a moot point if ordering new.
I can live with them and may even prefer when I get them. Was just hoping the slider was still an option. And the potential of saving some cash didn't hurt.
Frameless it is.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:40 PM   #64

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
this camper has also been reluctant to give up the daily use of a flip phone and embrace the latest and greatest phones.
Technology is a great thing. LOL
Old 04-16-2017, 01:27 PM   #65

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
With you Greg . Glad we have the sliders too. Have seen and operated some European ,I think they are plexiglass windows . Those were pretty cool how they operate and they open a lot more for great air flow . One of the occasions looking at RV's couldn't open the new type of window Escape is installing thought I would break mechanism . Let the dealer do it . Simple tried and true is always the way I want to go . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:28 PM   #66

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
One thing rarely discussed is that sliders do not make a perfect seal when closed. Hold a lighted match by a closed on when it is windy outside, and you will see that there is a good bit of leak, made worse the stronger the wind blows. This is due to the way that sliders seal with brush type seal instead of a rubber one. With the new awning windows wind would only press the window tighter to the seal.

Though the old style works quite fine, and is very reliable, having had both myself, I much prefer the new. But, I think I said that already.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 03:17 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
One thing rarely discussed is that sliders do not make a perfect seal when closed. Hold a lighted match by a closed on when it is windy outside, and you will see that there is a good bit of leak, made worse the stronger the wind blows. This is due to the way that sliders seal with brush type seal instead of a rubber one. With the new awning windows wind would only press the window tighter to the seal)
You'll probably find from the reports that have been posted on other forums the "leak" will be more of a problem with the frameless. When they encounter wind they lift up off the seal and allow a good bit of leak. This has been one of the issues when towing with the frameless that has been discussed quite a bit. Unless the trailer has been stored for awhile, then it is reported they get stuck to the seal and are very difficult to open the first time. I did see this first hand in our storage lot where some of the windows would lift easily off the seal and several of the frameless windows I checked were stuck to the seal. I'd probably rub a bit of a rubber treatment once or twice a year on the seals to keep them pliable as a maintenance task.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:24 PM   #68

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I think that 303 applied to the seal on a couple times a year basis will prevent that sticking problem.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 03:27 PM   #69

Quote:
You'll probably find from the reports that have been posted on other forums the "leak" will be more of a problem with the frameless. When they encounter wind they lift up off the seal and allow a good bit of leak. This has been one of the issues when towing with the frameless that has been discussed quite a bit. Unless the trailer has been stored for awhile, then it is reported they get stuck to the seal and are very difficult to open the first time. I did see this first hand in our storage lot where some of the windows would lift easily off the seal and several of the frameless windows I checked were stuck to the seal. I'd probably rub a bit of a rubber treatment once or twice a year on the seals to keep them pliable as a maintenance task.
I have not read a lot on other forums, or anywhere, about these particular windows. I am going on tests done on sliding and awning style windows in homes, of which I have installed many 100's. I do see the potential you mention, and will keep an eye on that. Fortunately, most places we camp sees very little wind anyway, but I know on the west coast that wind can sure pick up big time, we saw that on our Oregon trip last fall.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-16-2017, 03:30 PM   #70

I did just go out to the trailer and tried pulling out on the window, and found with a fair bit of pull, and as much as I dared want to do, I could pull one corner at a time outward on the larger windows by 1/8". So I could see the leak possibility in strong winds, and will check this out in the future, though I really hope I won't actually be camped in winds strong enough to replicate the pull I did by hand.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:32 PM   #71
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes99 View Post
Hope no one is taking my visit here as bashing any part of the Escape, we do love them and one will hopefully be parked in my driveway sometime this or next year.
Hi Baker, It's your hard earned money and your decision. I was very skeptical of the frame less windows and the awning. Now having camped in our 2017 5.0TA with about 30 day under the belt we love both. I will admit a mod for the awning is eminent and in the near future.
Attached Thumbnails
7.jpg  
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 03:34 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I think that 303 applied to the seal on a couple times a year basis will prevent that sticking problem.
303 would probably be a very good choice to treat the seals with. I'd also be cautious if you do experience the windows lifting some in a storm, don't try to over tighten the knob thinking it just needs to be tighter. The knob and attachment to the glass can break if over tightened and then you have to buy the entire window assembly to repair.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:21 PM   #73

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
Hi Baker, It's your hard earned money and your decision. I was very skeptical of the frame less windows and the awning. Now having camped in our 2017 5.0TA with about 30 day under the belt we love both. I will admit a mod for the awning is eminent and in the near future.
I must admit, your rig looks super sharp. I'm not sure what the awning mod is, yet but I obviously have more research to do.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:23 PM   #74

Trailer: 2017 Escape21. Pick up date May,2017
We had the option of either window type. We chose sliders. We don't camp in extreme weather if we can help it. However, in the spring and fall we love opening all the windows and catching a breeze without a fan being on. If we lived in NW rain would be a concern and new ones would have been the choice.
As far as outside awning shades, we are thinking about free standing sun shades.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:17 PM   #75

Trailer: Escape 5.0 ta
Hi.. I also just ordered 2017 with sliders old school also... any particular reason why you did not go to the frameless other than $$ ?
Mdkruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:48 PM   #76

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I don't think that everyone has the frameless windows as their first choice.

When we were alongside an RV last year my wife commented on the frameless windows on it. As in, "I don't like those windows" I said, "I think that's what ETI is putting on the new gen. trailers". She said, "Oh, I hope not, I don't like them."

Sort of settled that particular issue right then and there because I don't like them for a number of reasons.

But, hey, it's like many other of the items that get discussed, microwave or no microwave, inverter or no inverter etc. We are a diverse group.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:17 PM   #77

Trailer: pondering.....
so with all the conversation of slider versus awning style windows...what type of window is the default base window ...slider single pane?
if so then the choice going forward will be single pane slider or dual pane awning window.....wonder how many trailers are sold without thermal windows.....
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:25 PM   #78
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
so with all the conversation of slider versus awning style windows...what type of window is the default base window ...slider single pane?
if so then the choice going forward will be single pane slider or dual pane awning window.....wonder how many trailers are sold without thermal windows.....
They didn't start installing dual-pane windows until 2009. So there's all the trailers built before that.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:08 AM   #79

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Having seen the new frameless windows at the factory, I have to admit they look sharp. I assume you wouldn't have the black streaks from the exposed rubber on framed windows.
But operating them from inside and then testing them from outside, they just don't feel secure to me. Since my husband takes our trailer hunting and fishing in sometimes remote areas, they just look to easy to jimmy and break in to. But for many people, I'm sure the frameless would be just fine.
LBaranyai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:57 AM   #80

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA (July 19, 2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdkruzer View Post
Hi.. I also just ordered 2017 with sliders old school also... any particular reason why you did not go to the frameless other than $$ ?
Hi - we also ordered the slider type windows for our new 5.0TA. We just like the being able to slide open the windows for maximum airflow and light coming in - just feels more like the outdoors and camping! We owned a motorhome with the awning type windows (they only opened up 2-3 inches at the bottom) and we just felt a bit claustrophobic and thought they made the camper darker.
It's all personal preference. We just like the slider style more.
John
LatLongJohn is offline   Reply With Quote