Windows: Frameless vs. Framed - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2016, 02:35 PM   #1
LRL

Trailer: 2017-2013: 21C; Arriving 3/2024: Escape 23
Windows: Frameless vs. Framed

I'd appreciate any insight on which window type people prefer, and why. For sure, we're going with thermal, but I can't figure out the advantages of sliding vs hinged. I presume both types have screens?
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
We are going with thermal.

The awning style of the thermal will be nice in light rain showers in the summer.
Windows can stay open! And keep air flow.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
We have found that in cold weather, the frames our current windows get every cold and tend to condense moisture, as they are directly connected to the outside. My understanding from what folks have said here, is that the frameless ones have the gasket between the window and the frame, and the frames then have less heat loss.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
We have found that in cold weather, the frames our current windows get every cold and tend to condense moisture, as they are directly connected to the outside. My understanding from what folks have said here, is that the frameless ones have the gasket between the window and the frame, and the frames then have less heat loss.
Just a thought with the sliding windows , when you slide them open you get cross ventilation . With the awning window ,hard for the air to go up and in to ventilate as well . We have the Escape window in bed area which is awning . When the trailer was new screen came off and we couldn't figure how to get it back on . Called Escape got information how to put back . Sometimes still have struggled with it . It is same idea as new frameless . The difference though ,the Escape window will open way up so you could get out if needed. The frameless will not open all the way up . We also have the opening window at kitchen , we do love that window . Bath slides up and down , love that window , especially for getting hose in to flush black tank , once in a while . For the rest of our windows , love the sliders . We use max fan winter and summer and the little kitchen window is always open . No one could ever get inside with that little window . All our windows except bath and front are thermal . Lot's of decisions to make , but this is what we have and love what we have . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Second Pat, we prefer the thermal framed windows that slide.
The frameless windows have been out on Stick trailers for some time and there are lots of discussions on stick forums regarding them if you want to google them and see what folks are saying that have actually had them on their trailers for awhile.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:04 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Awning windows provide great ventilation too. We install tons of them in homes. Sliders are only used to save money, as they are not as nice looking, or energy efficient.

Is anyone aware of the brand of windows Escape is using? There is no doubt differences in quality amongst the different brands out there.

To me, the frameless look WAY nicer. Kinda brings the looks outta the 50's.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:08 PM   #7
LRL

Trailer: 2017-2013: 21C; Arriving 3/2024: Escape 23
The frameless windows are somehow screened? We want a mosquito free indoors!
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRL View Post
The frameless windows are somehow screened? We want a mosquito free indoors!
Just like the sliders, the "frameless" awning windows have the screen on the inside. This is easy to arrange with a slider, since you can grab the edge of the sliding pane to open it, but with awning windows a mechanism is required... which they have.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Is anyone aware of the brand of windows Escape is using? There is no doubt differences in quality amongst the different brands out there.
I vaguely recall a note that they were the current brand, which I think is Hehr.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:33 PM   #10

I recall they were Hehr as well. Most if not all of the frameless windows that are discussed on the sticky forums are Hehr as well.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We have the Escape window in bed area which is awning . When the trailer was new screen came off and we couldn't figure how to get it back on . Called Escape got information how to put back . Sometimes still have struggled with it . It is same idea as new frameless . The difference though ,the Escape window will open way up so you could get out if needed. The frameless will not open all the way up .
An "escape" window (better called an "egress" window, for clarity) opens wide enough for a person to get out. Sliding windows are generally not egress windows, either, because the normal opening for ventilation is not large enough. The traditional egress window in an Escape hinges at the top so the whole area opens up; the "frameless" egress window should work the same way. In both cases (sliding and "frameless" awning), the normal ventilation opening will not allow egress; in both cases, the special egress window will open wide so you can climb out.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:55 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I vaguely recall a note that they were the current brand, which I think is Hehr.
I remember hearing that, but thought it was just speculation. Good chance they could be though.

What generally is the reputation of the Hehr frameless windows?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:02 PM   #13

On the stick forums, it's a mixed bag, hard to tell which camp predominates. Some like em, some don't. Ventilation difference is beat to death. Biggest issues seem to be falling off, lifting when towing, and the crank out mechanisms breaking or separating from I guess the glass portion.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:15 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Hmm...my search is showing fogging issues. Haven't heard anything here about thermo sliders fogging. Saw one complaint about cranking mechanism not closing properly.

I agree they look slick but if I thought they were somehow more prone to fogging....
Rossue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:46 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
I agree they look slick but if I thought they were somehow more prone to fogging....
Or, perhaps some people are more prone to complaining...
Old 04-17-2016, 06:06 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Or, perhaps some people are more prone to complaining...
And some complain about the complainer's complaint! 7,765 and counting. Congrats

Personally I like the slider and awning mix on ours. The little awnings in the Kitchen and Bath are great for circulation when it's cooler and maybe raining. The sliders are great to 'flush' out the hot air quickly when the sun sets and the wind comes up.

I think the sliders are more securely attached to the trailer and less chance of having them detach.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:12 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Or some people are more judgmental. Someone asked what the rep was out there and the only fogging issue I'm seeing with Hehrs are the frameless. To what extent this is a significant problem if any is unknown.
Rossue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
On the stick forums, it's a mixed bag, hard to tell which camp predominates. Some like em, some don't. Ventilation difference is beat to death. Biggest issues seem to be falling off, lifting when towing, and the crank out mechanisms breaking or separating from I guess the glass portion.
Talk to my brother with his expensive Class A and his Hehr Windows . All had to be replaced in about a year's time , because not closing right and leaking issues . Why when someone is trying to give you a head's up and potential problems , you get shot down . You know what get what you want frameless , framed , it's your trailer . Pat
Old 04-17-2016, 07:22 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Or, some people don't recognize humour.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Or, some people don't recognize humour.
Do you wake up like this every day ? Or are you having a bad day ? Pat