Wings for the box to protect edge of 21'? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2015, 04:00 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Regarding the plastic film, I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing. What I saw was something that looked like they'd stuck on a version of a plastic drop sheet. I took it that it was regarded as disposable. Is yours regarded as something that stays in place long term?
Ah, yes - different. I have the very clear and flexible protective film that is often used on the front edge of a car hood to protect it from stone chips. It is left on for years - basically until it gets damaged or starts peeling at the edges. In a quick web search, it appears to be called "paint protection film". Example: Husky Paint Protection Film (although I assume 3M is more common). I think ours is thicker and less flexible than that Husky product.

This looks like a reasonable article about this type of product: Should I get protective film on my new car's hood?

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:01 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape
RoadMaster RoadWing Removable Mud Flap System for Full Size Trucks - 77" Wide Roadmaster Mud Flaps RM-4400

Old 08-03-2015, 04:08 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Mudflaps; I'd seen those wide mudflaps that bolt onto the receiver. They're really wide and go close to the road surface. If I was doing it again I'd install one of those.

Ron
I have been looking at those. Talked with a guy using them in WV. Liked it. Big sail to push through the air. I wonder how much it would affect gas mileage?

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:31 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
I have been looking at those. Talked with a guy using them in WV. Liked it. Big sail to push through the air. I wonder how much it would affect gas mileage?
Let me put it this way; if I'd had that thought before I went and didn't end up installing them; by the time I finished cleaning the tar off I might have changed my opinion.

I've seen some that looked like a brush or loose strands hanging down. Probably less resistance but might not be as effective.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:38 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I've seen some that looked like a brush or loose strands hanging down. Probably less resistance but might not be as effective.
I think the brush-style products are intended more to knock spray down than to stop rocks. Some city buses here have them right around the wheel opening, where the risk is certainly spray and not rocks.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:08 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
Resistance is marginal in comparison to the frontal surface area of an escape 21 ! It works very good on the gravel roads we travel on in UP Michigan.