Wiring for Europe - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2015, 12:05 AM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seef View Post
Most of the time Travel Trailers are equipped with some sort of pushbrake. If you hit the brake pedal of the car, the mass of the trailer will "push" into the car, the brakesystem uses that "pushing" power to apply the brakes.
In that scenario there's room on the connector to charge the Trailers battery.
The "push brake" is called (in English) an overrun braking system in Europe, and a surge braking system in North America. Even with that system (which doesn't use any electrical power from the tow vehicle), the 12N connector only has a circuit to charge the trailer battery if you give up running a fog lamp.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:16 AM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
believe it or not, most Dutch people only use their travel trailers 3-5 weeks per year. Most of the time 3 weeks holliday which requires a 1-2 drive to the destination and 1-2 days back home.
One major trip each year is not unusual for trailers here, and many people wish they had as much as 3 weeks at one one time take an RV trip. Most trailers spend most of their time in storage yards, so battery charge is often an issue, and if you're looking for trailer-handling skill... well, look for a truckstop, not an RV park!

Quote:
After i hook up the trailer and connect the brake cable, the brakes will be applied immediatly and the trailer has the brakes full on so you won't be able to drive away at all.
I then have to apply the brakes 3 times, this resets the electrical system, triggers the safety checks of the system and if all is well it relases the brakes and you're good to go.

Sweet isn't it?
The automatic check brake application and reset procedure is interesting, and it does make sense to me. I'm not sure that most people would want this system - my guess is that most would complain, but it would add confidence for those who appreciate it.

I assume that this brake system check is done by the hardware which is mounted on the trailer. What kind of controller do you have in the truck to send the braking signal? Is it the same as controllers used in North America (and Australia), such as the Cequent/Tekonsha Prodigy?

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote