Yellowing Vent on 15 and 17 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2014, 10:27 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Yellowing Vent on 15 and 17

I couldn't stand it any longer. The yellowing bath vent on our 15 (also on the 17) was driving me crazy! Here was a beautiful white fiberglass trailer and this yellow vent on top. Masked it off yesterday and used Krylon plastic paint to paint it. I first raised the lid and filled the screen area with newspapers and masked off the inside edges. This way I could paint the edges under the vent lid. Result, nice WHITE vent that matches the rest of the trailer. Time will tell if the Krylon holds up.

If I had to do it again, I would order a bathroom window and tell ETI to forget the cheap plastic roof vent. It is a real thermal weak spot and after one year the plastic was beginning to show deterioration. It would also have been one less hole in the roof.

Pictures of repainted vent below. I should have taken a picture of the vent before to show the contrast.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3211.jpg   IMG_3212.jpg  
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:55 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Krylon Fusion is specifically formulated for plastics and has UV blocking. My customers have used it for years, and many are in the southern US states.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:59 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Just make sure you mask it well and protect anything nearby from paint splatter.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:10 AM   #4

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
{Quote}
If I had to do it again, I would order a bathroom window and tell ETI to forget the cheap plastic roof vent. It is a real thermal weak spot and after one year the plastic was beginning to show deterioration. It would also have been one less hole in the roof. {Quote}

I agree, it would be my choice to eliminate the roof vent in favour of a opening window. The window would provide adequate ventilation. The roof vent is also the first place condensation collects during cold damp weather.
When in deep thought it is irritating to have water dripping down one's neck.
Brian
Old 05-29-2014, 12:04 PM   #5

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I wonder if there is any sort of code that requires a roof vent in the bathroom? Thats a interesting idea of deleting the roof vent. I was actually looking forward to having a powered roof vent and no window inour 21. only got the window in the19 to run the hose through for rinsing black tank and with the bathroom on the awning side in the 21 eliminates the need for that. will be easier to wipe down walls without the window.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:39 PM   #6

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
At least it's on the roof!

On our rv the hood fan vent turned yellow no matter what we did to try to prevent it.
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:51 PM   #7

Trailer: escape 21may 2014
I have used wesleys white wall cleaner. It works real well on yellowing plastic around my garage door windows and also on the plastic handles on our garage refidgerator. You just spray it on. Let the bubble action work and spray off.
burrab2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:03 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
This is a common problem for all travel trailers. Even the MEGA-EXPENSIVE brands. Either live with it, paint it or replace it. Your choice. It's not an ETI-alone issue.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:46 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
This is a common problem for all travel trailers. Even the MEGA-EXPENSIVE brands. Either live with it, paint it or replace it. Your choice. It's not an ETI-alone issue.
I only started this thread to explain how I "painted it" and to let people know how I did that. My only reference to ETI was that, if possible, I would have avoided the vent and installed a window as part of my build list. Since most of the products used by ETI are standard to the RV industry it only makes sense that the problem is common to all travel trailers. The other option for 15's and 17's would be to allow the powered vent to be installed since it is of higher quality.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:49 PM   #10
Site Team

The only reason I even mentioned it not being an ETI issue is because some newbees don't follow other forums, etc. I didn't want anyone to think ETI was using inferior products.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:51 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My solution is not to look at the vent. Or, as my buddy Alec used to say, before he died, "the main thing is not to get excited".
Old 05-29-2014, 10:04 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape
Does anyone know where to get a replacement lid? I've only seen complete units offered online.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:49 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
These guys have most everything:

Vent Cover for Ventline Old Style Rounded Dome Trailer Roof Vents - Smoke Ventline Enclosed Trailer Parts BV0554-03

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:50 PM   #14

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I like the suggestion don't look at it that fits for me
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:35 AM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Not only does plastic change colour, different plastics change differently, so inevitably all the different parts will increasingly mismatch. This has happened to both of my current trailers (neither Escape, but one is moulded fiberglass like an Escape)... but it isn't a problem for my motorhome, because it is painted (including the gelcoated fiberglass). The paint job is terrible by automotive standards (finish is fine but it was painted without removing any of the parts so bits of the underlying white show) but overall it is better at maintaining its original appearance than unpainted.

I think that individually painting the plastic (not fiberglass) parts as people here have described is a great way to improve the details of the appearance, especially in the long term. Of course, it isn't necessary.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:12 AM   #16

A couple of months ago I swapped out the small yellowing roof vent with the black powered one Escape is currently using. The powered vent removes moisture from showers and odour very quickly. If I was to order again I still wouldn't get a window in the bathroom.

2012 Escape 19'
2013 F350 crewcab 4x4
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #17

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
This yellowing UV thing is why I noted on the Build Sheet Question post that I would request screws instead of rivets on surface mounted vents etc. Rivets are a pain to remove without a zippy wheel or dremel tool. However in regards to the bathroom vent replacement, there is a space between the bathroom enclosure and the outside fiberglass skin, enough to slip in wood slats for screwing.
Changing the vent size would be difficult because the vent size is determined by the vent's moulded platform.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:52 PM   #18

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I found this spring that the plastic outside vent for the range hood fan on out 19 was really yellowed, I used some "BIO-KLEEN" "AMAZING ALL PURPOSE BOAT RV" cleaner and it really was amazing it looks like new, I will have to try it on the bathroom roof vent next time I wash.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:35 PM   #19

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Don't scrub too hard. I leaned on mine a bit too hard when changing the black water vent and ended up replacing it.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:21 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
....Rivets are a pain to remove without a zippy wheel or dremel tool. ....
Pooo, get a 1/2" countersink.

I think all Scamp owners need one, don't ask me how I know.
Attached Images