Yet another storage box question... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2016, 12:15 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
One question for 19 owners that do use the storage box. Do you just leave the space under the bed mostly empty?

I do realize that later versions of the 19, and the awning placement on them, did not allow for a very big hatch like I had, or the 2017's will have.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:19 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I think it's obvious that since so many do NOT have the storage box and manage quite well, that it's a "convenience that's nice to have."

Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:32 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Under the bed we have our camping chairs and small plastic table for outside, a small vacuum, extra TP, some cleaning supplies, a small air compressor, and a couple dirty laundry bags.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:39 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
I think two important aspects of the box are it keeps the dirty stuff out of the trailer and the hitch hardware is right where you need it. I carry our dirty outdoor carpet, axe, oils (chainsaw, outboard, auto, etc), wiener sticks, chocks, leveling blocks, hose, fire starter and more in the box. Under our bed we have camp chairs, extra blankets, dirty laundry and stuff for longer trips. If you can't afford the box you certainly can live without it, but it is high on our list of great options.
Bob K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:44 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Yet another storage box question...

My opinion hasn't changed from day one with the trailer. Love the storage box, and I consider it the best - and most functional - option we chose on the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2016, 12:47 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I guess it depends.
I don't have the front storage box and my tongue weight is 320-340 lbs.
The RAV4 has a 350 lb. tongue weight limit.
Don't need to add more.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:49 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
This is a rabid topic, but I think it mostly comes down to what you tow with. If I towed with an SUV then I would have considered the storage box, although I probably would have gone for a sturdier aluminum aftermarket box myself.
I tow with a pickup truck equipped with a backflip cover so the storage box is not something I need since I have an entire bed of the truck that is easily accessible in sections. Rock chips have never been an issue on any of my molded fiberglass trailers so for me a non issue on that one. The storage box is not something I've missed having at all, and not having it allowed me to put that money towards solar.
You just have to evaluate what ur going to tow with and where you want to allocate the money on the build.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:51 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 19
Another vote for indispensable here. For sake of a data point, I'll list my contents.
Keep in mind my family is 4 people (me & wife, 2 young daughters), so I have less room in my trailer/vehicle.

-wheel chocks
-electrical cord, extension cord
-water hookup gear (hose, filter etc)
-gloves
-rags
-blocks of wood (jack pad for trailer)
-awning deploy rod
-tools (I bring a drill with stabilizer bit, carry other tools in my vehicle as well)
-bike pump & chain lube
-spray lubricant (for hitch or whatever)

other messy items may get tossed in as well, such as
-muddy shoes/clothes
-wet screen room, tent, blankets
-dog food/toys

All of this could be stowed within the trailer or trailer of course, but the convenience of dealing with potentially dirty/wet gear and just tossing it in the storage box is worth the price (and weight), if you can swing it.
smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:53 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Linda just brought up a good point , considering the items you will most likely have in the storage box , say you have a breakdown and they get you to a campground . You forgot to get your items from your TV . If you have the storage box ,pretty much you already have it all on the trailer . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:58 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
This is a rabid topic, but I think it mostly comes down to what you tow with. If I towed with an SUV then I would have considered the storage box, although I probably would have gone for a sturdier aluminum aftermarket box myself.
I tow with a pickup truck equipped with a backflip cover so the storage box is not something I need since I have an entire bed of the truck that is easily accessible in sections. Rock chips have never been an issue on any of my molded fiberglass trailers so for me a non issue on that one. The storage box is not something I've missed having at all, and not having it allowed me to put that money towards solar.
You just have to evaluate what ur going to tow with and where you want to allocate the money on the build.
Hi Gregg have 8 ft truck bed too . Have to carry extra jugs of water , gen ., chairs , dog pen , barbucue , ice chest , etc. etc. . Hard to get in truck for smaller items . Box is so much easier for sewer , set up items and box is just as sturdy as trailer . Pat.

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote