Yet another storage box question... - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2016, 07:09 PM   #61

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Dave's sense of humor improves in person too! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And if course it improves with age in his case too!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:12 PM   #62

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
And here I thought Dave was a whippersnapper !
Old 05-28-2016, 09:04 PM   #63

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Just based on the area and thickness of the box, it must have at least 10 kg (22 pounds) of material in it, plus hardware, plus any floor reinforcement, plus the coating on the front. Someone bought one for retrofitting and had it delivered; I can't remember who that was but they must have picked it up and would know. Of course, Reace must know.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:17 PM   #64

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Saw that post where it was shipped to a forum member but no weights were given. If it's less than 50 pounds I would be happy, will post what escape office says when I hear from them next week. Thank you Brian.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:52 PM   #65

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Why are you concerned with a couple of pounds of weight on the front of the 21"? By the time you load your "stuff" that tongue will be getting a little light without the box and with the fresh water and batteries behind the axle it may be too light and sway will result. My 21' weighted 500# on the tongue and 3800# at the axles and towed like a dream without any sway control. Anything that goes in the box you can put under the bed but it will still add to the front weight, that little 25-50 lbs is worth it's weight in gold as Dave mentions to keep your interior clean.
Have you decided on a tow vehicle?
Old 05-29-2016, 12:01 AM   #66

Hi Jim. I won't be loading the box with much nor heavy.
I have a Ram 1500 with 3.6 Pentstar 6 cyl and 8 speed, 3.55 axle, 2 wheel drive, anti-slip differential, larger fuel tank and towing package. Trip to bay area just freeway averaged 24.5 going 25mpg coming back, 800 miles total. No trailer of course.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:06 AM   #67

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
I have a Ram 1500 with 3.6 Pentstar 6 ans 8 speed, 3.55 axle, larger fuel tank and towing package.
Nice
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:12 AM   #68

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Why are you concerned with a couple of pounds of weight on the front of the 21"? By the time you load your "stuff" that tongue will be getting a little light without the box and with the fresh water and batteries behind the axle it may be too light and sway will result. My 21' weighted 500# on the tongue and 3800# at the axles and towed like a dream without any sway control.
A hundred pounds less than that 500 pound tongue weight would still be over 10% of the trailer weight; in an properly designed and loaded trailer that should not create a sway issue, even without any add-on "sway control" hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Anything that goes in the box you can put under the bed but it will still add to the front weight...
Closer to the front means more tongue weight, which matters to many tow vehicles. It shouldn't matter so much to a truck, but many of the full-sized trucks used to tow trailers are not really working trucks.

Adding 50 pounds here and 50 pounds there is how we got from lightweight trailers and cars to two-ton "lightweight" trailers and three-ton trucks as tow vehicles.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:13 AM   #69

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
So, what is the critical issue with the weight of box itself?
Don't understand.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:37 AM   #70

Hi Brian and Glenn. Yes weight gain comes quick if not watched. Weight on the tongue is mighty close to ground zero, the hitch ball. Correcting by adding weight behind the axles especially to the rear will exacerbate sway. Best stability is having heavy stuff near center.

Was afraid the box would be much heavier than estimated earlier today. Biggest draw to the box is lower front end protection. We travel fairly light and really don't need the extra space but will use it for hoses, electrical cords, feathers, etc. Truck has a 2 door panel top easy to load.

I will keep the tongue close to 10% more or less so it definitely won't be 500 pounds unless adding more helps stability. If the box was magically going inside the cabin near the axles, I would not give it a second though.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:01 AM   #71

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
storage box

We have been using the storage box since the first one Reace made and would not live without it. I put the dirty stuff in there, mats, chocks, broom, drain hose, etc and last trip I was surprised when opening with a Brown recluse, I had to grab the spray quickly.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:17 AM   #72

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
a brown recluse?

I had never even heard of these... now i'll have nightmares.

THEY HAVE THREE EYES, and also a super nasty venom.

I often wear sturdy gloves when doing things outdoors.... before or after camping.... stuff in the garden, etc.... but now i'll be extra careful!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_...spider#Habitat

and

I was on the fence about detachable power cord, or not.... and your post makes me want to get the detachable power cord!!! Just to have one less point of ingress into our 2017 21'
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:08 PM   #73

Quote:
Thank you both but I wanted the weight of the box itself. I sent email to Escape, should know next week, will post what they tell me.

Thank you again.
Escape emailed me with empty box weight, 40 pounds per Sarah.
Added to storage box to the build sheet, its a good front end protector.

Will fill with Styrofoam peanuts to make like its being utilized. Hope the lid does not fly open while in transit.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:52 PM   #74

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
we live-aboard for 6 months a year. Last year, no storage box. This year we added one over the winter. Unbelievably useful! battery protection, front of trailer protection, chocks, hoses, cords, propane grill, etc. We used to store the propane grill under the bed.... YUCK! Plus it's a nice, level surface for sorting things from the back of the TV (Ford E-250) and a place to put my tea mug while hooking up!

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote