Yet another storage box question... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2016, 10:39 AM   #1

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Wink Yet another storage box question...

Hi all!
Well, we are still working on our build sheet. Ironically, as a woman who is a seasoned and careful shopper concerning any and all things from clothing to household goods up to purchasing a car or house, I'm finding that this dang storage box option is giving me a headache!
So, the sticking point in finalizing our build sheet seems to be this storage box. (well, the window option over the sink is the other sticking point. ...). DH is leaning towards getting the box ( and wants the window over the kitchen sink ), while I'm not so sure.

I do realize there have been many prior discussions about this box; some find it indispensable, while others manage without it.

I would like a fresh perspective about whether or not we should include this on our 19'. Keep in mind that we are trying to keep both extra cost and weight as low as possible, especially any extra weight that could tax my Chevy (tow max of 5200 pounds).

Regarding our trips, the two of us anticipate traveling with the trailering basics, bedding materials, one or two suitcases of clothes, 1 or 2 bags of dry goods, some cleaning materials, fishing poles and tackle box, two folding captains chairs, 1 or 2 small folding tray tables, and the equivalent of a camping rucksack size of art/painting materials. Of course, we can't forget our little 5 pound canine companion. DH may also bring his lighter-weight bike. (If I forgot something that people usually include, please tell me...)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking we can put muddy/dirty chocks, hoses, and other basic trailer necessities in a sturdy bag or two, and store it in the hatch.

Regarding the weight, we will be reinforcing a couple of walls, to the tune of an extra 50 to 75 pounds. We don't intend on adding other options that have significant weight additions besides the wood reinforcements.

For those of you without the storage box, do you find there's enough room to carry the basics as well as a few extra items in the hatch or your vehicle? Any regrets about not having the storage box? If so, what are they?

Likewise, from those of you who do have the storage box, could you manage without it?

So, could I hear from seasoned trailer owners regarding if this box is a "must-have" versus a "convenience that's nice to have"?

I would appreciate your input put very much! Thanks!
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:58 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
Hi all!
Well, we are still working on our build sheet. Ironically, as a woman who is a seasoned and careful shopper concerning any and all things from clothing to household goods up to purchasing a car or house, I'm finding that this dang storage box option is giving me a headache!
So, the sticking point in finalizing our build sheet seems to be this storage box. (well, the window option over the sink is the other sticking point. ...). DH is leaning towards getting the box ( and wants the window over the kitchen sink ), while I'm not so sure.

I do realize there have been many prior discussions about this box; some find it indispensable, while others manage without it.

I would like a fresh perspective about whether or not we should include this on our 19'. Keep in mind that we are trying to keep both extra cost and weight as low as possible, especially any extra weight that could tax my Chevy (tow max of 5200 pounds).

Regarding our trips, the two of us anticipate traveling with the trailering basics, bedding materials, one or two suitcases of clothes, 1 or 2 bags of dry goods, some cleaning materials, fishing poles and tackle box, two folding captains chairs, 1 or 2 small folding tray tables, and the equivalent of a camping rucksack size of art/painting materials. Of course, we can't forget our little 5 pound canine companion. DH may also bring his lighter-weight bike. (If I forgot something that people usually include, please tell me...)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking we can put muddy/dirty chocks, hoses, and other basic trailer necessities in a sturdy bag or two, and store it in the hatch.

Regarding the weight, we will be reinforcing a couple of walls, to the tune of an extra 50 to 75 pounds. We don't intend on adding other options that have significant weight additions besides the wood reinforcements.

For those of you without the storage box, do you find there's enough room to carry the basics as well as a few extra items in the hatch or your vehicle? Any regrets about not having the storage box? If so, what are they?

Likewise, from those of you who do have the storage box, could you manage without it?

So, could I hear from seasoned trailer owners regarding if this box is a "must-have" versus a "convenience that's nice to have"?

I would appreciate your input put very much! Thanks!
Hi Art Lady . For us the storage box is a must have . One of the first items to go on our build list , then I removed it basically because of the price . Finally put back on when we understood more the benefits . The number one reason is the front protection of the trailer , otherwise you will get vinyl that snaps on and Tammy said would have to be replaced about every 3 years . You will also have snaps in front of trailer for that cover . The box has like a line-ex sprayed on it . Much better protection for the front of your trailer . Also like that our batteries are in that box , out of sight , and easy to work on . Then the storage for items you don't want in your trailer or vehicle . Finally we came from a 9 1/2 camper and have found we don't have the storage we had in a smaller space of the camper . So we could not not have that box . It is the one item we are so glad we put back on the build list . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:59 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We have tons of dirty blocks that are used for leveling and under the stabilizers and tongue. Just couldn't manage all of those in a hatch without a lot of trouble. In addition, sewer items, chocks, hitch grease and other hitch items, which in our case includes WDH bars. Other people add some larger items such as you have in there but we have about all we can fit. Your batteries would take up much of the space, assuming they are still put in there?

Our hatches are reserved for cleaner non-sewer non-hitch items such as two water hoses, two 30-amp electrical cords, another extra cord extension cord and items such as for winterizing.

Don't think weight is a problem for you. We have 5000 towing capacity and a 21'.

We camp quite a lot and no box would be difficult. If owners do not plan to camp much, they may not know the difference.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:03 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I am now in the process of cleaning up our 21 to take it to storage for several months and have just finished blowing out the storage box with compressed air. And boy is there ever a lot of "junk" in there. Let's see, leveling planks, blocks for under the jack stand and stabilizer pads, 3 water hoses, 2 30 amp cords, the ball hitch, door mats, tools, chemicals for the toilet, a hitch lock and other stuff. I suppose if we never had it, we probably wouldn't miss it but it sure holds a lot of stuff and it is very easy access to get what you need. Otherwise, we would have to use the pickup box which would do the trick but is not as handy and harder to access. Plus it has enough in it already. After the insulation options, this was next on our build sheet. The 2 options we couldn't decide on right away were the u-shaped dinette and the WD hitch. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:05 AM   #5

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
We have a storage box and wouldn't order another 19 without it. I think it maybe less useful if we had a pickup to put the chocks, hoses, leveller, hiking poles, etc in. I don't like putting dirty stuff in the trailer. We have a small weber BBQ which goes in the Highlander - although I would rather it not as I would rather any extra weight be in the trailer than in the tow vehicle unless it is a larger pickup with more space outside the cab with more power. We also have the opening window above the sink and wouldn't be without that as we like the airflow it provides. We do not have reinforced walls as we don't hang things on them.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:05 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
Hi all!

DH is leaning towards getting the box ( and wants the window over the kitchen sink ), while I'm not so sure.

** Good for him, couldn't agree more. When it's dark and raining the more light that can get in, the better.

** Picture this; it's been wet and raining. Everything outside is wet and muddy. Put it into bags and put them in the hatch. Now the bags get wet and muddy. Keep doing that and now you have other stuff in the hatch under your bed damp and muddy. No thanks, wouldn't dream of not having a storage box. That's where my wet and muddy things go.

** Reinforcing walls seems to be the flavor of the day. Don't have any, and if I need to hang something I'd use other methods. The only reason I'd have a reinforced wall is if I had a specific heavy load that I knew exactly where I wanted to place it.

** Tongue box; don't leave home without it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:06 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Well, you are correct that there are many who think it is indispensable, and those who are/were happy without it.

You most definitely will still have an enjoyable experience without having one. This holds true for many of the options available, we all just decide what is best for our own style.

It was not even an option in 2009 when I got my 19, and I think starting without it showed us that is was very doable without. The 19 has a ton of storage space. Just under the queen bed there is more than you might ever need.

Given your focus is being minimalistic, I would suggest not getting one. We brought along everything we needed, and carried very little in the tow vehicle. All our outdoor and trailer setup gear easily fit into the outside hatch under the bed in clear storage boxes. ( I did add a larger hatch for better accessibility, something I think will be standard in the 2017 model) There is lots of upper cabinet storage too. Unless you bring along lots of "just in case" items, you can definitely survive very well, and with lots of comfort without it.

Besides, I think the trailer looks better "sleeker" without it. just my opinion.

I know I am likely to be chastised for this opinion as I have before, as those that did get it sometimes seem to need to justify it.

If you were to do extended multi-month trips it might be handy, but not necessary. I think this kinda sums it up, that it can be a nice thing, but definitely not necessary.

Moving to the 5.0 TA, it is not even an option. Plus, we will lose some storage space in the back of the tow due to the hitch. I am not the least bit worried about this. Actually, I fear that with me doing the cabinet finishing, and maximizing storage in there, that we will end up with lots of unused space, and I hate taking along things that just might get used. After many years of trailering, we know what we need, and will use.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:09 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Pat reminded me of one major plus with the storage box which is the protection of the front of the trailer. I had talked to the line-x people about doing the front of the trailer for $500.00. The box was $700 so we went that route. I think almost everyone here on this forum would be in favor of getting the box. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
We have tons of dirty blocks that are used for leveling and under the stabilizers and tongue. Just couldn't manage all of those in a hatch without a lot of trouble. In addition, sewer items, chocks, hitch grease and other hitch items, which in our case includes WDH bars. Other people add some larger items such as you have in there but we have about all we can fit. Your batteries would take up much of the space, assuming they are still put in there?

Our hatches are reserved for cleaner non-sewer non-hitch items such as two water hoses, two 30-amp electrical cords, another extra cord extension cord and items such as for winterizing.

Don't think weight is a problem for you. We have 5000 towing capacity and a 21'.

We camp quite a lot and no box would be difficult. If owners do not plan to camp much, they may not know the difference.
Hi Cathy just about everything you mentioned ,we have in that box . The only thing missing for us is the hitch bars , don't need . We were surprised how much could go in box even with the batteries . And as said really like where they are , the batteries ,and don't care for some of the other placements . Just our honest opinions and believe if we don't like something I will tell you . We are too old to just settle . In the end if their needs are not like ours . They need to go with what works for them . Pat
Old 05-18-2016, 11:14 AM   #10

After over 6 years of towing our 19 with no storage box to protect the front of the trailer, there were only a few chips in the gelcoat, nothing major at all, and something easily fixable. This is mostly because I drove a lot on gravel to get to where we camp. It would be inexpensive to use something like the 3M protectant on the front, something I intend to do with my 5.0.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-18-2016, 11:15 AM   #11

One question for 19 owners that do use the storage box. Do you just leave the space under the bed mostly empty?

I do realize that later versions of the 19, and the awning placement on them, did not allow for a very big hatch like I had, or the 2017's will have.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:19 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I think it's obvious that since so many do NOT have the storage box and manage quite well, that it's a "convenience that's nice to have."
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:32 AM   #13

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
Under the bed we have our camping chairs and small plastic table for outside, a small vacuum, extra TP, some cleaning supplies, a small air compressor, and a couple dirty laundry bags.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:39 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
I think two important aspects of the box are it keeps the dirty stuff out of the trailer and the hitch hardware is right where you need it. I carry our dirty outdoor carpet, axe, oils (chainsaw, outboard, auto, etc), wiener sticks, chocks, leveling blocks, hose, fire starter and more in the box. Under our bed we have camp chairs, extra blankets, dirty laundry and stuff for longer trips. If you can't afford the box you certainly can live without it, but it is high on our list of great options.
Bob K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:44 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Yet another storage box question...

My opinion hasn't changed from day one with the trailer. Love the storage box, and I consider it the best - and most functional - option we chose on the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2016, 11:47 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I guess it depends.
I don't have the front storage box and my tongue weight is 320-340 lbs.
The RAV4 has a 350 lb. tongue weight limit.
Don't need to add more.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:49 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
This is a rabid topic, but I think it mostly comes down to what you tow with. If I towed with an SUV then I would have considered the storage box, although I probably would have gone for a sturdier aluminum aftermarket box myself.
I tow with a pickup truck equipped with a backflip cover so the storage box is not something I need since I have an entire bed of the truck that is easily accessible in sections. Rock chips have never been an issue on any of my molded fiberglass trailers so for me a non issue on that one. The storage box is not something I've missed having at all, and not having it allowed me to put that money towards solar.
You just have to evaluate what ur going to tow with and where you want to allocate the money on the build.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:51 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape 19, Escape 23 on order
Another vote for indispensable here. For sake of a data point, I'll list my contents.
Keep in mind my family is 4 people (me & wife, 2 young daughters), so I have less room in my trailer/vehicle.

-wheel chocks
-electrical cord, extension cord
-water hookup gear (hose, filter etc)
-gloves
-rags
-blocks of wood (jack pad for trailer)
-awning deploy rod
-tools (I bring a drill with stabilizer bit, carry other tools in my vehicle as well)
-bike pump & chain lube
-spray lubricant (for hitch or whatever)

other messy items may get tossed in as well, such as
-muddy shoes/clothes
-wet screen room, tent, blankets
-dog food/toys

All of this could be stowed within the trailer or trailer of course, but the convenience of dealing with potentially dirty/wet gear and just tossing it in the storage box is worth the price (and weight), if you can swing it.
smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:53 AM   #19

Linda just brought up a good point , considering the items you will most likely have in the storage box , say you have a breakdown and they get you to a campground . You forgot to get your items from your TV . If you have the storage box ,pretty much you already have it all on the trailer . Pat
Old 05-18-2016, 11:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
This is a rabid topic, but I think it mostly comes down to what you tow with. If I towed with an SUV then I would have considered the storage box, although I probably would have gone for a sturdier aluminum aftermarket box myself.
I tow with a pickup truck equipped with a backflip cover so the storage box is not something I need since I have an entire bed of the truck that is easily accessible in sections. Rock chips have never been an issue on any of my molded fiberglass trailers so for me a non issue on that one. The storage box is not something I've missed having at all, and not having it allowed me to put that money towards solar.
You just have to evaluate what ur going to tow with and where you want to allocate the money on the build.
Hi Gregg have 8 ft truck bed too . Have to carry extra jugs of water , gen ., chairs , dog pen , barbucue , ice chest , etc. etc. . Hard to get in truck for smaller items . Box is so much easier for sewer , set up items and box is just as sturdy as trailer . Pat.