12 volt adapter for MacBook Pro - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2015, 08:18 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
12 volt adapter for MacBook Pro

Hi,

Anyone use a 12V adapter for a MacBook Pro? If so, any suggestions for where to find. Was at Apple Store last night and nada.
Thanks!
Old 10-04-2015, 08:26 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Amazon has several. The one I bought shows as currently unavailable but I just went with the one that got the best reviews

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:38 AM   #3

I'll go the amazon route. Was hoping that apple made one--admit I'm an apple groupie but thought if there was one they made, it might work better.
Thanks, thoer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Amazon has several. The one I bought shows as currently unavailable but I just went with the one that got the best reviews
Old 10-04-2015, 08:42 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
12 volt adapter for MacBook Pro

I know what you mean. Apple stuff is expensive but almost always top quality. And there has been problems with some 3rd party wall chargers in the past.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-04-2015, 10:14 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I'm using a Lind Electronics #MB1650-2550 LB adapter, however I did a search for it and it appears they no longer make it.

Which ever you order, make sure it has the correct MagSafe connector. There is an inexpensive adapter available from Apple to go from an older MagSafe connector on a power supply to the MagSafe2 used on the newer Macs, however I have not seen one going the other way...
Old 10-04-2015, 11:44 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
I bought this one and have used it a few times without any issues.

Amazon.com: Pawtec Macbook Car Charger High-Speed 45W 60W 85W Compatible MagSafe 2 for Apple Macbook / Air / Retina Mid-2012 - Present: Computers & Accessories
46indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The idea of Apple hardware being better doesn't match my experience. I've had one non-Apple power supply dies in a couple of decades of using non-Apple laptops. Our first Mac laptop consumed three of Apples pretty but poorly designed supplies. Also, Apple doesn't actually make any hardware - it's all farmed out to other companies in Asia.

Of course you want a well-made adapter. It can come from anyone... perhaps the same factory as Apple's, but without the Apple logo.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:34 PM   #8

I recall reading that several months back--was in the back of my mind and so the reason I wanted to go with Apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I know what you mean. Apple stuff is expensive but almost always top quality. And there has been problems with some 3rd party wall chargers in the past.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:36 PM   #9

So my MacBook Pro is from 2011. Do you know which MagSafe connector I would need? (whatever a MagSafe is )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I'm using a Lind Electronics #MB1650-2550 LB adapter, however I did a search for it and it appears they no longer make it.

Which ever you order, make sure it has the correct MagSafe connector. There is an inexpensive adapter available from Apple to go from an older MagSafe connector on a power supply to the MagSafe2 used on the newer Macs, however I have not seen one going the other way...
Old 10-04-2015, 03:42 PM   #10

Brian, I have a PC-lovin' friend who's always giving me a hard time about Apple. I've had good experiences and bad (less) experiences with their products. But that darn Apple logo is just so handsome. Kidding, of course, but I'm just so comfortable with their computers and iphones, it's hard to switch. And have had excellent experiences with my Apple Store visits (no charge for tech support) so I'm stayin' loyal.

And I hear ya about the adapter possibly coming from the same factory as Apple's. (Though according to the guy last night at the Apple Store, Apple doesn't make any adapters.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The idea of Apple hardware being better doesn't match my experience. I've had one non-Apple power supply dies in a couple of decades of using non-Apple laptops. Our first Mac laptop consumed three of Apples pretty but poorly designed supplies. Also, Apple doesn't actually make any hardware - it's all farmed out to other companies in Asia.

Of course you want a well-made adapter. It can come from anyone... perhaps the same factory as Apple's, but without the Apple logo.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
My 17" MacBookPro is also from 2011, and has the original MagSafe connector. That is the connector for the power supply that is held in place magnetically. The older one is a bit larger than the new one (MagSafe 2). I suspect you have the original...
Old 10-04-2015, 07:29 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
E Darby,

From your posts it sounds like you may have more Apple products than the MacBook Pro.
I base this on your post #10. "I'm just so comfortable with their computers and iphones, it's hard to switch. And have had excellent experiences with my Apple Store visits (no charge for tech support) so I'm stayin' loyal."

We have a MacBook Pro but also have IPads and IPhones. So far we haven't needed to take the MakBook on the road with us. The pictures we take on the other devices, the documents we start or update on the road update and sync through the Cloud when we get home. For example everything we did on our recent road trip is synced onto all our devices. And safely backed up onto our Apple Tower. The IPad's gave us access to our email, banking and all the rest of it while we were on the road.

All this to say, that we haven't felt the need to look for a 12volt adapter for the MacBook Pro. I think we might change our view if we really got into photography or went on very extended trips. We also bought a 95watt inverter which we use for ur coffee bean grinder which the Apple techs tell us we can use to charge the MacBook Pro.

Truth be told we've been hesitant to take the expensive MacBook on the road with us and haven't felt the need. So perhaps this meandering post is an Apple advertisement meant to motivate you to buy an IPad or IPhone 6 if you haven't got one yet.

As you can see, we've drunk our fill of the Apple cool-aid

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:32 PM   #13

Thanks for the lead. Unfortunately, my MacBook Pro is "Late 2011."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46indian View Post
Old 10-04-2015, 07:34 PM   #14

Yup, I think so. Thanks, Jon (as always).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
My 17" MacBookPro is also from 2011, and has the original MagSafe connector. That is the connector for the power supply that is held in place magnetically. The older one is a bit larger than the new one (MagSafe 2). I suspect you have the original...
Old 10-04-2015, 07:39 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Put your iTunes library on your iPhone and connect with bluetooth to bluetooth enabled speaker ( I have a JBL, but there are better ones ) and you have a sound system, and a camera, and a video camera, and email, and surfing device. Still need a charger, but versatile and compact.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:48 PM   #16

Hi Larry,

Yes, have used Apple computers for close to 25 years. From the towers (back in my video editing days) to laptops and iMacs. And then iphones for several years.
Right now, I have the laptop and my iMac (which a friend will be "babysitting" in Cleveland).

As much as I admire the iPad, just can't justify spending more money now. I do plan on doing a lot of photography on the road. I have Photoshop on the iMac but will not go the subscription route with Adobe. Unfortunately, not possible to buy actual Photoshop software for the laptop. Bought Elements 11 for the laptop just to have something to work with but haven't actually played with it much yet.

I will have to look into the inverter (made the decision not to "splurge" for the 1500 watt from ETI. Thanks for the lead on that!!!

And will be getting the iphone 6 (have the 4 now). Will be stopping in South Dakota on the way to Chilliwack so thinking I will try to get the phone there and not pay for sales tax. Also will be switching to Verizon from AT&T.

Very much appreciate your input!
ellen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
E Darby,

From your posts it sounds like you may have more Apple products than the MacBook Pro.
I base this on your post #10. "I'm just so comfortable with their computers and iphones, it's hard to switch. And have had excellent experiences with my Apple Store visits (no charge for tech support) so I'm stayin' loyal."

We have a MacBook Pro but also have IPads and IPhones. So far we haven't needed to take the MakBook on the road with us. The pictures we take on the other devices, the documents we start or update on the road update and sync through the Cloud when we get home. For example everything we did on our recent road trip is synced onto all our devices. And safely backed up onto our Apple Tower. The IPad's gave us access to our email, banking and all the rest of it while we were on the road.

All this to say, that we haven't felt the need to look for a 12volt adapter for the MacBook Pro. I think we might change our view if we really got into photography or went on very extended trips. We also bought a 95watt inverter which we use for ur coffee bean grinder which the Apple techs tell us we can use to charge the MacBook Pro.

Truth be told we've been hesitant to take the expensive MacBook on the road with us and haven't felt the need. So perhaps this meandering post is an Apple advertisement meant to motivate you to buy an IPad or Ihone 6 if you haven't got one yet.

As you can see, we've drunk our fill of the Apple cool-aid

Larry
Old 10-04-2015, 07:55 PM   #17

Hi Glen!

Haven't done it yet in my new-to-me Tahoe, but plan on connecting my iPhone to bluetooth to listen to audio books (a serious addiction I have!).

Ya know, I seriously considered just going with the iPhone for photography and video, especially with the 6 coming out with 12 MP. ONLY THING that I need my Canon for though is that I want to do a lot of night photography and, as far as I know, iPhones cannot keep their shutters open long enough.

But you're absolutely right, would make life very simple!!! Maybe I'll get night photography out of my system this turn around the country and then just sell the Canon and go with the iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Put your iTunes library on your iPhone and connect with bluetooth to bluetooth enabled speaker ( I have a JBL, but there are better ones ) and you have a sound system, and a camera, and a video camera, and email, and surfing device. Still need a charger, but versatile and compact.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:57 PM   #18

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
There is always the free GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program. Very similar to Photoshop.
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:59 PM   #19

I'm really bummed that Apple is discontinuing my favorite photo editing app- Aperture. My Apple contacts have said that the Photos app will continue to have more Aperture editing features. The newest version allows plugins I know a lot of professional photos have switched to Lightroom but I don't like the Adobe subscription methods.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:00 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
A lot of people take up photography seriously when they retire. As a retired professional photographer, I gave it up.