12V fan to combat global warming? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B
12V fan to combat global warming?

When we were out last week boondocking, temps were still above 80F at bedtime, making things pretty uncomfortable (even with the Maxx fan cranked). I'm wondering whether any of you use a 12V fan, say, like this one, to point directly at your sweaty selves?

http://www.amazon.com/O2-Cool-Model-.../dp/B000I4L15Q

And if you do -- is it a huge battery drain? We have solar and seem to charge up lickety split every morning, so I'm hopeful this might be an option for us.

Also -- which way should we run the Maxx fan in order to cool the trailer -- blowing in or out? I can never remember, alas!

Thanks,

Elizabeth
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: 12V fan to combat global warming?

Elizabeth, I think the best solution to your issue is to stay up later and drink more cold beer.

Seriously though, 80°F (27°C) to try to sleep is is too warm for me too. What we do is to crack the window at the head of the bed only, and turn the Maxx Fan on, drawing the breeze across our heads.

That fan you listed would not drain the batteries too bad, I would think. Even though it is 12v, it seems to only supply and AC adapter, and not a 12V plug, though you could easily get one.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #3

I bought one of these:

http://www.hellamarine.com/en/produc...turbo-fan.html

I tapped into the 12v power from one of the overhead cabinet lights and it circulates the air very nicely in the 5.0's loft. I painted it to match the wood, but it looked just fine in white, so it was probably an unnecessary step.

I like the fan a lot and it doesn't seem to be too big a power hog. Running all night, it dropped the battery by .1 V (but we also ran lights and watched a movie, so its hard to judge its actual draw.

Dave
Old 06-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #4

Here's a picture. I actually painted it to match the upholstery and countertops, not the cabinetry.
Attached Thumbnails
Fan.jpg  
Old 06-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B

Oooh! That's fancy. That AND a cold beer -- if we can get the fridge working -- and I'll be in heaven.

Jim, when you do the "cool breeze over your head" setup -- Maxx fan blowing OUT, I take it?

Incidentally, the hot nights were in Northern Michigan, along Lake Michigan -- I'd say it was extremely unusual for it to be that hot in June and at night up there, but it seems like there's no normal anymore. I'm in the camper in southern Michigan right now cleaning, plugged in with A/C cranked, it's 92F (33C) out with 100+ (37-38C) in line for tomorrow. Hottest and driest June on record here so far. Ugh.
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

You want the fan blowing out on exhaust with a window open near the bed to feel the air currents which should make you feel cooler. You can also use those fans mentioned with the a/c on (windows are closed now) to circulate the cool air or close your maxxair and let it circulate any cool air trapped at the ceiling, like a casablanca fan which we use with the a/c on to move the cool air around, again air movement makes it feel cooler.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by medora
Oooh! That's fancy. That AND a cold beer -- if we can get the fridge working -- and I'll be in heaven.

Jim, when you do the "cool breeze over your head" setup -- Maxx fan blowing OUT, I take it?

Incidentally, the hot nights were in Northern Michigan, along Lake Michigan -- I'd say it was extremely unusual for it to be that hot in June and at night up there, but it seems like there's no normal anymore. I'm in the camper in southern Michigan right now cleaning, plugged in with A/C cranked, it's 92F (33C) out with 100+ (37-38C) in line for tomorrow. Hottest and driest June on record here so far. Ugh.
Warm weather, and less than cold beer. What a terrible combo. LOL

And yes, the fan is blowing out, so it draws the fresh air in over our heads.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #8

Trailer: '09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"

Speaking of hot weather, we hit 109F in Austin yesterday. It broke the record for hottest day in June in Austin since they began record keeping over 100 yrs ago. Not very camping friendly even with the a/c.

We crack a window by our head with the MaxFan set to pull air out of the trailer to get a draft for sleeping as others have suggested. However, for times when we would like a little more air circulation than the maxfan or a/c can provide, we also use a small 12v oscillating fan. It has a big clip on it so we can position it wherever it's needed most - wherever we're hanging out or sleeping. We also use it to circulate the a/c air when camping in miserable 100+ weather which seems to help. If only it were practical to bring a giant warehouse sized fan to make it tolerable outside the trailer.
Attached Images

'09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
'14 MB GL350 BlueTEC; '99 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
Texscapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:53 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

"If only it were practical to bring a giant warehouse sized fan to make it tolerable outside the trailer."
There is an alternative, here http://www.amazon.com/Fan-Tastic-Ven.../dp/B0000AY2Z6
plug it in the 12v outlet by the door
Attached Images