12V issues - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-04-2018, 10:53 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Red Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Retired from Dallas & Full-Timing, Texas
Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Posts: 1,097
12V issues

OK friends,

Starting some trouble shooting this morning.

After being in an RV park for a couple of months, we disconnected to spend a few days at a state park.

Upon disconnecting from shore power, I noticed that fridge was having issues switching to propane. It did not take long to lose all 12V in the trailer.

However, when I turned on the TV, 12V returned to the trailer and fridge came on propane.

Arrived at state park, connected to shore power, all seems well.

Summary: while not on shore power, TV provides 12V DC, trailer has 12V power...TV turned off, trailer has no 12V power.

Gonna start by checking the two 6V batteries, but any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Fred M.
__________________

__________________
Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:46 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 3,130
Fred: Starting simple...did your battery isolation switch get mistakenly turned off? If you are on shore power you would never know until you unplug. Power from tow vehicle would serve items directly even if this switch is off.
__________________

rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:43 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Power from tow vehicle would serve items directly even if this switch is off.
I think that varies - the 15A for which Steve (St3v3) traced the wiring and provided a diagram had the power from the tow vehicle going to the battery side of the isolation switch. Still, in Fred's case, it does seem likely that tow vehicle power goes to the power centre side of the isolation switch, and the switch is accidentally off (or in the "storage" position).

If the battery is isolated from the power centre by that switch, it's not going to be charging back up even when on shore power, except by solar (if so equipped). If there's no solar charging, it will take some time to recover the battery charge before there will be usable 12 volt power without the tow vehicle.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:13 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Red Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Retired from Dallas & Full-Timing, Texas
Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Posts: 1,097
12V issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Fred: Starting simple...did your battery isolation switch get mistakenly turned off? If you are on shore power you would never know until you unplug. Power from tow vehicle would serve items directly even if this switch is off.


Good thought. Battery isolation switch was checked and was never turned off.
__________________
Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:18 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Red Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Retired from Dallas & Full-Timing, Texas
Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Posts: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I think that varies - the 15A for which Steve (St3v3) traced the wiring and provided a diagram had the power from the tow vehicle going to the battery side of the isolation switch. Still, in Fred's case, it does seem likely that tow vehicle power goes to the power centre side of the isolation switch, and the switch is accidentally off (or in the "storage" position).

If the battery is isolated from the power centre by that switch, it's not going to be charging back up even when on shore power, except by solar (if so equipped). If there's no solar charging, it will take some time to recover the battery charge before there will be usable 12 volt power without the tow vehicle.

I will also check to make sure the connections behind isolation switch did not come off
__________________
Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:26 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 3,130
I had this same power issue once with an old Scamp where 12V power was dead until plugged into the tow vehicle. It ended up being corrosion on the trailer battery terminals. This would be another simple check. I think there is also a fuse on the Escape 12V system. That should be checked too.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:51 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Red Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Retired from Dallas & Full-Timing, Texas
Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Posts: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I had this same power issue once with an old Scamp where 12V power was dead until plugged into the tow vehicle. It ended up being corrosion on the trailer battery terminals. This would be another simple check. I think there is also a fuse on the Escape 12V system. That should be checked too.


I am all over it, as soon as I finish my brewski!
__________________
Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:03 PM   #8
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 19,093
Fred has his priorities set right.......
__________________
Jim
It is not the years in your life but the life in your years Lincoln
cpaharley2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:10 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Fred has his priorities set right.......






__________________
No good deed goes unpunished.
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:10 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Red Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Retired from Dallas & Full-Timing, Texas
Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Posts: 1,097
Found the problem! It was a 30 Amp fuse.

The question now becomes. Why did it blow.?

I had this happen one month after picking up our new trailer and now, 16 months later, it happens again.

IMG_4536.JPG

Fred M.
__________________

__________________
Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.