12v power but no 120 AC power. - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-26-2019, 02:06 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Jill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Sacramento area, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Posts: 384
12v power but no 120 AC power.

Nothing that plugs in to a standard outlet is working in our trailer but the 12v stuff like the fridge is fine when we are connected to power. We are driving now but will look at it tonight when we get to Bakersfield.

We had a battery issue last fall which turned out to be a fuse problem on the battery. I’m guessing this problem is some how related to that. Do you think this is just another fuse problem? Or is there something else we will need to look at?
__________________

Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:31 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
sclifrickson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Port Townsend, Washington
Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Posts: 1,408
Check your GFCI outlet to make sure it’s not tripped. It is probably on the outside of the trailer.
__________________

__________________
💩-p+☕️+n
sclifrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:45 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mid Left Coast, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 1,418
yeah, that surprised me, I didn't realize one GFCI outlet could protect several... I've had to reset mine several times. same on the casita, but the GFCI was on the outlet near the kitchenette, and protected the outside outlet.
__________________
2014 Escape 21 (home away from home)
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4 (tug)
1993 Mercedes 300CE Cabriolet (daily driver)
2006 Yellow Lab (Maggie... RIP Feb 2019 )
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:46 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
sclifrickson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Port Townsend, Washington
Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Posts: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
yeah, that surprised me, I didn't realize one GFCI outlet could protect several... I've had to reset mine several times. same on the casita, but the GFCI was on the outlet near the kitchenette, and protected the outside outlet.


Yes, it is frustrating the first time it happens. But then you never forget, right?
__________________
💩-p+☕️+n
sclifrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 03:15 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 3,145
Are other 120V appliances working? The GFI outlet only protects itself and maybe one or two outlets near the galley. If other outlets are not working your problem is further down the line. Check all the breakers in your power center to make sure none are tripped. If you have the inverter option that is wired to all outlets you should also have another gray box under one of the seats that has two additional breakers.
__________________
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 03:17 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Jill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Sacramento area, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Check your GFCI outlet to make sure it’s not tripped. It is probably on the outside of the trailer.


Good idea. That’s an easy fix I will check it first!
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:58 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
We had a battery issue last fall which turned out to be a fuse problem on the battery. I’m guessing this problem is some how related to that. Do you think this is just another fuse problem?
No, if you are plugged into external (shore") power - not running on an inverter - nothing in the 12-volt DC system has any effect on the 120 volt AC system. There are no fuses in the AC power system.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:15 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mid Left Coast, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 1,418
the AC side has circuit breakers rather than fuses
__________________
2014 Escape 21 (home away from home)
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4 (tug)
1993 Mercedes 300CE Cabriolet (daily driver)
2006 Yellow Lab (Maggie... RIP Feb 2019 )
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:40 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Jill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Sacramento area, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
the AC side has circuit breakers rather than fuses


Good to know. I learn a little bit every day. Thanks!
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:29 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Jill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Sacramento area, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Are other 120V appliances working? The GFI outlet only protects itself and maybe one or two outlets near the galley. If other outlets are not working your problem is further down the line. Check all the breakers in your power center to make sure none are tripped. If you have the inverter option that is wired to all outlets you should also have another gray box under one of the seats that has two additional breakers.


Thank you SO very much. We do have the inverter and needed to flip the breakers on the gray box. Whew! We are ready to camp again. Thanks again. This forum and people like you who are so helpful have saved us a few times. Thank you!!!
__________________

Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.