12volt or regular TV - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2016, 08:06 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
From everything I've read, you need to be close enough to an unobstructed signal, that you're likely camped in a RV Resort with cable.
At my house I can receive the local broadcast stations (all of which are now digital and high-definition), but there is no cable service available in this rural area. I wouldn't count on cable in a campground unless it is in an urban area.

The digital broadcasts are more "finicky" than analog. With analog you could just settle for a snowy image if the signal was weak, but in the same situation (same channel, same transmitter power, same antenna) reception might be sporadic (and unwatchable) with digital... but when it works, it's a nice picture!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:23 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
That was my point. If your antenna works, you probably have the option of cable.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:32 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
We were near Huntsville, Texas. (We did NOT have a cable option at the Calge Recreation Area, Sam Houston National Forest.)

The Super Bowl broadcast came in from College Station. About 40 miles away. We were able to pick up CBS, FOX, and NBC. There was no ABC station that we could pick up. (Fox and NBC were coming in from Houston.) At first we could not get the NBC broadcast, but after a time we got it. Tried the antenna outside and in, front of trailer and back.

We don't usually go camping when we "need" to watch television, but there are occasional exceptions. One reason we were interested in pulling in the Stupor Bowl is we are going to be in Phoenix/Scottsdale AZ in March, and it would be NICE to be able to catch some of the NCAA basketball...

So, was it perfect? No. Was it good enough? We're hopeful.

We have DirecTV at home, but DirecTV on the go is Soooooo expensive... And really, watching teewee at a campsite is just not (usually) a high priority.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:35 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
That was my point. If your antenna works, you probably have the option of cable.
But that was my point: my antenna works at home, and I don't have the option of cable. There's a campground very close to my house; if you camp there, you will have a working signal from an antenna, but you won't have the option of cable. I don't think this situation is rare, and this is why an antenna can be useful; this is a specific combination of conditions so how useful depends on how often you hit this situation.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote