17b bedding - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
17b bedding

We leave a week from today to pick up "The Lark". In the meantime we have been buying towels, dishes, cookware etc. to outfit the trailer. I told Lindy that it is just like "playing house", or perhaps like when we were young and living in a studio apartment with a murphy bed. But now we have "Murphy-The-Dog".

We think we want to have a mattress topper for the rear bed, and leave it as a bed most of the time. I can see from the forum that a lot of folks use mattress toppers that are between 1.5 and 3" thick. I am curious has to how others made their toppers. Here are the alternatives that I see:

1) Buy a larger (queen size) topper, make a pattern using the cushions, and then cut the foam. Have Lindy sew a custom cover for it.
2) Do to an upholstery shop or some place that specializes in such things, and have them construct a topper.
3) get a full size mattress (54X75), cut 5 inches off the width, and call it "good enough" even though it will an inch or two too short on the length.

One option I am considering is going through Eugene on the way home and stopping at Interior Coach Creations to have them measure it and make some custom bedding. Does any one have experience with them?

http://www.interiorcoachcreations.com/

Thanks for any advice. It is much appreciated.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Re: 17b bedding

I leave the rear bed set up permanently and changed the seat cushions to a gym mat. (Some photos near the bottom of my Trailer Modifications page.) The advantage was a lower bed. I added two toppers - a tapered one that went from 2" at the bottom to 6" at the top & a standard 2" topper on top of that. The rake is because my doctor suggested sleeping on a slant to help my stomach & tilting the entire trailer was a option, but I liked this better! Both toppers were full size - I cut them to 48" width & sewed a mattress cover to fit them both & don't mind the missing 2" at the bottom - I'm used to being able to hang my toes off the end of the bed & missed that with the original set up. The bed platform for my trailer is 48" X 77" since I have the 5 Cu ft fridge. Overall, it works great. The gym mat provides easy access to the seating compartments and the entire set up is comfortable.

One thing I forgot - I found some 3/4 sized sheets on the internet (48" X 75"). Much easier to use than trying to fit full sized sheets - Bedding Direct. While I wanted the Bamboo, the price was just too much - got the 200 count an am pleased with them...
Old 06-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19

We have a 19, but our solution may be adaptable for you. A 2" Costco topper on the 5" factory foam was too much -- squishy bed. I went to a good medical supply place and bought a high-quality, dense foam egg crate topper. It has worked perfectly for us on many trips now.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

Airstreams used Trav-a-Sak sleep system until they went out of business, but you can still buy them at Tuesday Mornings. http://rv-living-magazine.com/travas...p-systems.html
They are a 4 season bed set up with one side for summer and one side for winter, really nice if you can find them.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour

We bought a bed a while ago that outgassed something awful. We decided to get a natural latex topper for the Escape. Figured it costs a bundle as toppers go but nowhere near the cost of a bed with similar. We have a bamboo material cover on it.
Attached Thumbnails
P1040641.jpg  
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions, especially the 3/4 sheets. I didn't know such a size was available. We finally decided that we are going to pick up the trailer, use some twin sheets that we have from around home along with a twin size duvet. When we the trailer back to St. Paul, we will think about getting a topper and some 3/4 sheets.

Thanks again.