17b Build Sheet for LarryandLiz - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2014, 08:22 PM   #21

Trailer: 2021 Pleasure Way OnTour 2.0
I have a tear drop trailer and the battery isolator was a option on the trailer. It prevents the trailer from discharging the car battery when the car engine of off. Without a battery isolator, we were advised to discount the trailer plug when shutting off the car. The battery isolator can be installed on the trailer of car.
I know the electrical system is more sophisticated on the Escape so maybe someone can chime in as to it's usefulness..
Mob2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:05 AM   #22

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Is that the same as the cut-off switch?
Old 05-28-2014, 09:44 AM   #23

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Ditto's on the 19'. Very easy to tow, I can't imagine a 17 would be much different. Second axle eases the bumps and is great insurance in case of a flat. You'll like a little extra room in the 19.

Greg
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:13 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Battery cut off switch disconnects the trailer from the trailer battery (except for solar) and the battery isolator disconnects your tow vehicle battery from your rv.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:15 AM   #25

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Just heard back from ETI that the toilet shut off valve is a no go. Only available on the 21' as an option.
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:28 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Battery cut off switch disconnects the trailer from the trailer battery (except for solar) and the battery isolator disconnects your tow vehicle battery from your rv.
Thanks. That is helpful.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:21 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
Has anyone had the "isolator" installed?
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:54 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Check with your car dealer. I think most vehicles these days already cut off power to the trailer when the ignition is off.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:15 PM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Check with your car dealer. I think most vehicles these days already cut off power to the trailer when the ignition is off.
Likely yes, if they are wired for towing from the factory (which means roughly just most trucks and some SUVs). If not, you are having it added yourself, and you determine this design feature.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:33 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Likely yes, if they are wired for towing from the factory (which means roughly just most trucks and some SUVs). If not, you are having it added yourself, and you determine this design feature.
I do not know if I have this cut-off feature on my 2005 Sienna w/tow package. Will I need to contact Toyota to find out?
Old 05-29-2014, 01:33 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
The Sienna tow package does not include a 7 pin connector, in fact, unless I'm wrong, it does not include wiring for even a 4 pin connector, although there is a harness available that provides 4 pin wiring.

If you have a 7 pin connector (necessary for both brakes & 12V power to the trailer), it must have been a user add on. The best way to tell if they included a solenoid to cut off power when the engine is stopped it to check the voltage between pins 1 (Ground) & 4 (12V Battery). If you measure 12V with the ignition off, no solenoid, if it goes off when the ignition is switched off, you have one.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:50 PM   #32

I believe that mine came with a 4 pin connector along with the hitch that had a 1 1/4" receiver. There was no included information regarding the hook-up. I added the 7 pin wiring along with a new hitch only because I needed the WDH and at the time (and maybe even now), there was no WDH that worked with that size receiver.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:57 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
I do not know if I have this cut-off feature on my 2005 Sienna w/tow package. Will I need to contact Toyota to find out?
Toyota does not offer pre-wiring for any trailer feature on the Sienna (lights, brake control, or battery charging). The factory-installed "towing preparation package" is all durability features (mostly transmission cooling on the 2005), while dealer-installed (or port-installed) accessories include a hitch and a trailer lights wiring package. The wiring package doesn't have any brake control or battery-charging features at all, so if you have either of those they were a custom installation - Toyota won't know anything about any custom installation which may have been done.

My 2004 Sienna's trailer lights wiring package is the dealer-installed accessory. I added trailer brake control and trailer battery charge wiring myself, and I did include an isolation (cut-off) relay so the van and trailer batteries are only connected when the van's engine is running.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:00 PM   #34

Sorry, I posted the above before seeing the last page of posts. I agree with Jon's comments, and Sandra's 4-pin connector and 1-1/4" hitch receiver (and the lack of information) are typical of the dealer-installed accessories.

As far as I know, WD hardware continues to be available only for 2" (or larger) receivers.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:36 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Liz and I headed out to Escape today and signed off on the Build Sheet. Thanks to everyone for your comments and interest. Our build sheet changed because of your help.

I'm still confused about the isolator switch. But it occurs to me that questions like this are why I am happy one of my son-in-laws is a licensed mechanic. I'll ask him what I need.

Thanks again. Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:17 AM   #36

Trailer: Escape
The "isolated" electrical circuit is in the tow vehicle. If the TV does not have a towing package a 12V circuit is added to provide voltage to the trailer (pin 4). A solenoid or relay is turned on or off using voltage from the ignition switch. When the ignition switch is in the on position the solenoid or relay is energized and allows voltage to pass through it. When the ignition switch is off the relay or solenoid is not energized. The purpose is to keep the tow vehicles battery from being depleted by the trailer.
There are different wiring options depending on how your vehicle is equipped.
http://www.etrailer.com/t1-2012_Nissan_Frontier.htm