17B Front Dinette Seats - UNCOMFORTABLE - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2018, 04:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B SOLD
17B Front Dinette Seats - UNCOMFORTABLE

- Has any body else found the seats uncomfortable to sit on in the 2017 17B.

I read Jon (Oswego, NY) had replaced the seats with a chair with a regular back (When he had a 17)

But any other.......??
I welcome any ideas/mods to improve those seats.

Regards
disneydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Perhaps a little slope of the back? We use a very large pool noodle to make it happen...not a new idea...many do it.
Attached Thumbnails
9C66C1A7-0121-40DA-B219-329ADB15A27A.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydoc View Post
- Has any body else found the seats uncomfortable to sit on in the 2017 17B.

I read Jon (Oswego, NY) had replaced the seats with a chair with a regular back (When he had a 17)

But any other.......??
I welcome any ideas/mods to improve those seats.

Regards
My problem was the fairly straight rise of the back section. As noted, I replaced both sides with West Marine High Backed Chairs. Very comfortable, and very adjustable. Not cheap, but I just bought one for the 21 since they were on sale for $99.00 over the 4th.

You might try some different cushion material since Escape has to fit the average "butt" and few of us are average. Just a warning - restuffing the cushion is a daunting task (although made easier if you put the new foam in a plastic bag before stuffing).
Old 07-11-2018, 05:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
We just use throw pillows where most comfortable. Wish the West Marine came in a colour other than blue.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:24 PM   #5

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I was getting butt fatigue from the dinette cushions on our 21. Ended up getting some very dense foam from a local store. They took out the old and put in the new. It wasn't cheap, but it was worth it.

I also use this pillow from Select Comfort/SleepNumber for reclining against when I'm reading. It gives me lots of support.

https://www.sleepnumber.com/sn/en/Al...llows/p/421160
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i just bought a pool noodle but may have bought the wrong one i bought the 2 and a half inches one
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:48 PM   #7

Thanks everybody,

I am getting inclined towards West Marine after reading the great reviews on their web site & from Jon.

Best
Old 07-11-2018, 10:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Not for everyone but we had the cushions redone using the foam that Escape uses and only on the seat added a additional 2 in so now have 6 in total for the seating . Also use the large pool noodle behind the back cushion , gets you a more comfortable slant and helps to keep back cushion away from the wall . A lot more comfortable . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:40 AM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Not a 17 but I added 1" dense foam under the cushion as I sink through to the wood over time, we also use the large size pool noodles.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:24 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 21NE
We have a 17B and find the cushions okay, but they could use some improvement. Mostly our problem is the back cushions keeps falling forward when we get up. I may try the pool noodle suggestion, but cut it at a slant for a more natural slant backwards for the back cushion. Don't now if it will work, but worth a try. Pool noodles are a cheap fix.
MaryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:25 AM   #11

In my case the problem is, my back does not reach the back cushion & ends up with no support, adding a throw cushion at the back does not help much.
The Seat Cushion is not much of a problem.
It is almost like sitting on a stool

Thanks for the suggestions, I will experiment with a Pool Noodle first before buying the West Marine Chairs ($300 for the pair)

Regards
Old 07-12-2018, 11:07 AM   #12

Trailer: 2012 E19
My Hauley has enough room for me to set up just about any chair I'd care to take along. No climate control, though. There are upsides and downsides to everything.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:30 PM   #13

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
In my case the problem is, my back does not reach the back cushion & ends up with no support, adding a throw cushion at the back does not help much.

The pillow I mentioned previously from SleepNumber gives me really good support. I'll also put it in the center of the u-shape for when I'm eating. We didn't get the table installed as it wasn't going to get used (now stashed in the attic). When I eat or use the laptop or color in stamped images (inside), I set up a folding TV tray (that travels on the bed while in transit). The pillow acts as my back support.

Note - if you get one of those pillows and want to make your own cover - be sure to allow LOTS of room to put it on as it's thicker at the bottom due to foam beads (or whatever). If you're using the measurements for the envelope style pillow covers - add lots more to the standard measurements. I already had one cover rip in a corner as I didn't allow enough extra (and I had already added more than on my first attempt; third time was the charm).
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:40 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
The Seat Cushion is not much of a problem.
It is almost like sitting on a stool

Thanks for the suggestions, I will experiment with a Pool Noodle first before buying the West Marine Chairs ($300 for the pair)

Regards
If you install the large pool noodle behind you back cushion at the bottom , it will slant and be a lot more comfortable . Cost about 3.00 . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:39 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
We have two pillows similar to these https://www.target.com/p/grey-bedres...3/-/A-14328157 that work great. Used in the front dinette they take up some of the horizontal space in these two deep sitting positions. We also put them in side by side on the bed to watch videos, or in opposite corners to turn the space into a lounge, reading space. Work great.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:00 PM   #16

Trailer: 2012 E19
I just had a thought... after seeing the zillionth MyPillow commercial today, I wonder if the MyPillow would conform enough to provide a slanted back support? Anybody have one?
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:07 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I just had a thought... after seeing the zillionth MyPillow commercial today, I wonder if the MyPillow would conform enough to provide a slanted back support? Anybody have one?
Yup, My Pillow comes in different densities; the firmest one would probably work for you. Nice that it's also washable.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote