Re: 17B Questions
Yeah, as Jon mentioned, it really does depend on how you use your trailer. No two purchasers are the same, and many quite different despite the choice to buy an Escape.
Though we have a 19, I will give my thoughts on your queries too.
1. Having a permanent bed was not just a desire for my wife, but a 'must have'. There was no way she (or me either really) wanted to tear down and set up every day. Besides, I get up much earlier and it is nice to have a separate area to lounge if it is dark or wet outside.
2. Not sure of the standard laminate colour, but it sure is nice to be able to pick your own.
3. We have the 5 cf in our 19, and really like the size of it. We could get by with smaller if necessary though.
4. For us at this time, the storage box is a no go. We just don't need the space for storage, nor the extra weight it would be all loaded up. Maybe later for extended trips once I retire.
5. A/C was a no go for us too, and have never needed it. For now, our travels don't take us where we need it. The hottest we ever camped, with the trailer in the sunshine, was 30°C (89°F), and with the dual glazed windows, and doubled insulation, plus having the awning out, it never got too bad inside, and by the time we were headed in the trailer for bed, it was nice inside. Again, it is something I might consider later on.
6. As mentioned above, I highly recommend the added insulation and windows. Whether to keep the heat in or out, it is a worthwhile investment in my mind. If boondocking much, the dual 6V batteries are nice. I have only done 5 night, and never needed any charging for the batteries which were still in good shape.
2017 Escape 5.0 TA (someday soon, I hope
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln