17B Questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 17B
17B Questions

We are in line to get a brand new Escape 17B with a completion date in July. I have many questions - hope it's ok to have them all in 1 posting.

1. What is the dimension of the dinette when it is made up into a bed. Can I use standard double size sheets? Is it better to have a permanent bed made or keep the dinette/bed. I really doubt that once it is made into a bed, it will ever be used as a dinette, but, hey you never know.

2. What is the standard formica color? Std cushion color and std floor color? Is it really better to pick my own custom colors?

3. Fridge - it comes standard with a 3 cf refrigerator - is that big enough or is it worth moving up to the 5 cf?

4. Front storage box - yes or no?

5. A/C - do you need it?

6. Any other tidbits you like to share with a complete newbie?
JudyVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Re: 17B Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyVT
We are in line to get a brand new Escape 17B with a completion date in July. I have many questions - hope it's ok to have them all in 1 posting.

1. What is the dimension of the dinette when it is made up into a bed. Can I use standard double size sheets? Is it better to have a permanent bed made or keep the dinette/bed. I really doubt that once it is made into a bed, it will ever be used as a dinette, but, hey you never know.

I had a 2005 17B and aways had it made up as a bed. I found that double sheets worked but I tightened them with elastic straps underneath. I found that a single comforter or duvet worked best though as the mattress is thinner that a regular one. The bed dimensions are 49 x 77. I had a permanent mattress made up by Escape and used that but kept the cushions just in case I wanted to revert back to a dinette.

2. What is the standard formica color? Std cushion color and std floor color? Is it really better to pick my own custom colors?

The pictures on the Escape website show the colours of the formica and cushions. The lino on the floor has just changed to a beige tile look.

3. Fridge - it comes standard with a 3 cf refrigerator - is that big enough or is it worth moving up to the 5 cf?

I had the 3 cf fridge and found it sufficient but I've just moved up to a 5.0 with the 5 cf fridge and it's really nice. One thing to consider is the larger fridge makes the isle narrower as it protrudes out more

4. Front storage box - yes or no?

5. A/C - do you need it?

All Escapes are A/C ready so you can try it without and if you feel you need it you can add it later. I've never found the need for it but I do live on the West (Wet) Coast.

6. Any other tidbits you like to share with a complete newbie?

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

We kept the dinette as a bed for a couple years, and then the Old Bag decided she wanted more elbow room for dining and playing cards so we started setting it up as a dinette each morning. This could be an issue if you like to dine with friends.

So, we are undecided, but flexible.

I would go with sheets that aren't fitted since the "bed" isn't quite standard. I find a couple sleeping bags zipped together are easiest to deal with, and you don't have to wash and fold sheets, but Old Bag insists on sheets.

And, I'd go with the 5 cu. ft. fridge, especially if you don't want to be running to the store for more milk.

baglo
Old 04-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD

Front storage box - yes! Don't leave home with out it.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17B, 2012

Hi Judy,
We just picked up our 17B and are really pleased. We've had a pop up trailer and Class B Rv previously and decided a lightweight trailer would be our best option.

We keep the rear dinette as a bed and as suggested somewhere on this site we bought a 2 inch memory foam topper. It now has the firmness (or softness) that is comfortable for both of us. We use a double sleeping bag or full sheets/blankets depending on the weather. As Barry said they full sheets need to be fitted to the smaller dimensions of the Escape mattress/cushions.

We picked out our own fabric and then chose the Formica to match. It came out really nice and they even did the valances in the same fabric. I seem to recall that we sent 7 yards of 54" fabric to Tammy. But you better check with Tammy on that figure...memory is foggy, again. There is even a little left over to make a small cushion.

We had a 3 cf fridge in our Class B Pleasureway and it was adequate for us. A 5 cf would be nice but we didn't want to use up the space in the trailer hall. There are a few times when "adequate" is not enough but we make do.

I found that a storage box is handy. I didn't order one from Escape so I bought a tongue box and put it on myself. It's not as classy as the Escape box but I didn't want to wait until I made the next trip up there.

We did get the A/C. We found that trips to Southern California and the Southwest was a little too hot in the afternoons and the A/C was really nice...if we had hookups! It will only work if you have electric hoop ups or a big generator.

I'm sure you will like the trailer and good luck!
Eric

Old 04-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #6

I would get the bigger fridge.. we used the dinette as as permanent bed with a memory foam topper..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

What you need to keep in mind, especially in view of all the advice available on the forum, is how YOU plan to use the trailer. ( if you haven't, use the search function - above right - to read previous posts ).

If you plan to do a lot of dry camping, you want to invest in dual 6V batteries and maybe solar ( or a generator if you don't expect a lot of sun). Sun will also impact on whether you need A/C or not, and that depends if you are camping next to a power tree since you won't want to run a generator for the A/C when you and others are trying to sleep.

The smaller fridge means buying a smaller container of milk ( for more money ) and more trips to the store. If you have kids with you, you need milk and lots of it. We're not camping with kids, but Old Bag likes to provision the trailer before we leave so we need a large fridge. I've tried to explain to her that there are grocery stores where we travel, but I can't win this one.

Back to the bed. We camp with friends who have a 19' and end up having dinner in their trailer because they have a four-seat dinette ( and a queen bed in the back ). When we are not with them, we can't have people in our trailer for dinner, unless the bed can be used as a dinette.

We have a topper for the bed, but I don't know where it is. There wasn't room to store it in the trailer when the bed was converted to a dinette, so I think it might be in the attic at home.

I have a storage box on a cargo rack on the back. It's handy for all that stuff you don't want to bring inside, but I may have a problem if I get the Old Bag a bicycle for her birthday since I'll need to replace the box with a bike rack. And, buy myself a bike.

So, after four years of camping in Toad, we are still figuring it out. To make matters worse, people on this list keep coming up with good ideas and things that I should have done.

baglo

Old 04-10-2012, 02:16 AM   #8

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

Oh Glen--isn't that the truth--all the new things that come out and the new ideas from people..
We have upgraded the blinds and the front storage box.... (wishing we had the 6 volt batteries and solar......)

We have the 17 B and keep the bed up permanently--with a foam topper... Heck I was trying to figure out last week how I could do bunks so we would have the larger dinette free all the time--but I couldn't figure it out---guess the few times that we'll "need" it I can throw all the bedding and topper in the car...

25 more days till we are off for a week.....
Old 04-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

I have a 17B I purchased last April.

Since I travel single, I leave the rear dinette set up as a bed. I exchanged the cushions with a mattress & topper - more comfortable. I usually use double sheets, however I just purchased a set of 3/4 sheets which should fit better. My bed size is 48" X 77".

If the weather is bad I eat at the front dinette - I've had a couple of occasions where 3 of us could eat there using a camp chair. Tight, but much easier than setting up & down the larger rear dinette. I find that most of the time I end up eating outdoors.

I have the 6V & solar options, along with LED lighting - I love the combination. I added an inverter so I can make a pot of coffee in the morning.

I have AC, and although I don't use it all that much, on the few days that I did I was awfully glad I had it!

I have the front storage box & feel it is a very useful option.

I have the 5 cu ft refrigerator & like the size.

As to other suggestions, it really depends on how you use your trailer. I had Reace add a cell phone antenna & amplifier to mine - I post a blog every day while traveling and am often in areas with weak cell coverage. I also had a rear view camera installed - works great as a rear view mirror.

I've made a few additions - I posted a page showing them on my website: http://lakeshoreimages.com/trailer.html

Old 04-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #10

Trailer: 2012 17B

Thanks!! These are great ideas and things for us to think about. I must say, it is really nice to know this forum is here and to get such a quick response from you all.
JudyVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Yeah, as Jon mentioned, it really does depend on how you use your trailer. No two purchasers are the same, and many quite different despite the choice to buy an Escape.

Though we have a 19, I will give my thoughts on your queries too.

1. Having a permanent bed was not just a desire for my wife, but a 'must have'. There was no way she (or me either really) wanted to tear down and set up every day. Besides, I get up much earlier and it is nice to have a separate area to lounge if it is dark or wet outside.

2. Not sure of the standard laminate colour, but it sure is nice to be able to pick your own.

3. We have the 5 cf in our 19, and really like the size of it. We could get by with smaller if necessary though.

4. For us at this time, the storage box is a no go. We just don't need the space for storage, nor the extra weight it would be all loaded up. Maybe later for extended trips once I retire.

5. A/C was a no go for us too, and have never needed it. For now, our travels don't take us where we need it. The hottest we ever camped, with the trailer in the sunshine, was 30°C (89°F), and with the dual glazed windows, and doubled insulation, plus having the awning out, it never got too bad inside, and by the time we were headed in the trailer for bed, it was nice inside. Again, it is something I might consider later on.

6. As mentioned above, I highly recommend the added insulation and windows. Whether to keep the heat in or out, it is a worthwhile investment in my mind. If boondocking much, the dual 6V batteries are nice. I have only done 5 night, and never needed any charging for the batteries which were still in good shape.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:57 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: JudyVT... We have a permanent Queen Bed in the 5.0 and a 5cu.ft. fridge and all is good. When Traveling with our 30 something daughter she uses the dinette with a privacy drape across it on a spring filled shower curtain rod as her space.
It's all up to your interpretation of camping and what you feel is good for you. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
morning after.jpg   where\'s the Baileys.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote