17B towing questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2009, 07:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
17B towing questions

Hello,

I hope to be picking up a used 17B in a few weeks.

Questions:
1. What is the receiver ball size that matches the trailer hitch?
2. How far past the hitch does the trailer electrical harness go? Do I need an extender? My 7 contact plug is mounted roughly flush with the outside edge of the tug bumper.
3. Towing with a Toyota minivan, factory towing package, with load distribution hitch. Is anti-sway hardware also necessary?
4. Anyone with experience with towing with a similar vehicle.......do you use overdrive in flat land or disengage? I've read conflicting advice, but tending towards shutting it off. A few mpg vs. a tranny rebuild is my consideration.
5. What sort of highway speeds do you travel at?
6. What wind speed presents problems in towing?
7. Do you have any general or specific towing advice to offer?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Re: 17B towing questions

Questions:
1. What is the receiver ball size that matches the trailer hitch?

Two inch.

2. How far past the hitch does the trailer electrical harness go? Do I need an extender? My 7 contact plug is mounted roughly flush with the outside edge of the tug bumper.

Two feet. My plug is pretty close to the bumper, so I don't think you'll need an extension.

3. Towing with a Toyota minivan, factory towing package, with load distribution hitch. Is anti-sway hardware also necessary?

I'm towing with a RAV4, with V6. If you have a class three hitch, you'll be fine. Trailer has caused me no discomfort in crosswinds or with semis passing ( but I do keep an eye on the rear view mirror.

4. Anyone with experience with towing with a similar vehicle.......do you use overdrive in flat land or disengage? I've read conflicting advice, but tending towards shutting it off. A few mpg vs. a tranny rebuild is my consideration.

On the flat, I do tow in 4D ( which I'm guessing is OD ). On the hills I shift to 4.

5. What sort of highway speeds do you travel at?

I try to keep at or under 90 KPH, which is 56 MPH. Huge difference in fuel mileage between 90 and 110. So, stick to 55.

6. What wind speed presents problems in towing?

Don't know. Strong crosswinds between Vancouver and Chilliwack, but I haven't noticed.

7. Do you have any general or specific towing advice to offer?

Have you installed a brake controller to operate the electric brakes?

baglo

Thanks in advance.

Tom
[/quote]
Old 03-29-2009, 07:37 PM   #3

Habberdabber:

check out post: http://escapeforum.org/index.php?topic=29.msg108#msg108

I kind-of outlined our MPG in the above post..

We didn't notice too much wind push, but wind definitely effects the mpg..

I echo Glenn.. brake controller.. but I'm still clueless on how/what is the right setting..

We kept everything under 65 MPH - didn't need to go faster..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I don't know what setting for the controller either even after following the instructions. You're supposed to go down a paved road at ?? MPH ( about 30 ) and then operate the controller's manual lever, but not the brakes on the tow. When the wheels on the trailer just lock up, you've reached the setting. Well, I couldn't tell and I'm set at 4.7 on my Prodigy.

I'd love it if somebody would just tell me where to set it.

Note that the brake lights do not go on when you apply the brakes using the manual lever, so you don't want any traffic behind you.

baglo
Old 03-29-2009, 09:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van

Hello,

Yes, I'm installing a brake controller. My back is sore from all the under vehicle work, and I'm pretty close to finishing the job. Not an easy job on an "older" 2000 vehicle....no quick connects and had to run wires from bow to stern on the tug, as well as alot of underhood tinkering. But it's done right, I hope. Won't know for sure until I drive away.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:42 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

I just installed my brake controller the other day, a Tekonsha P3. This is the first time I even had a trailer ready package, and man was it worth it. About 5 minutes to install, 2 screws into the dash, 2 to hold the bracket together, and a pigtail that both ends just plugged right in. I have done the full install before like HD is doing, so can relate to the amount of work entailed in getting the brake controller and wiring harness all installed.

What took me the most time was trouble shooting when the unit never powered up. I decided to check the fuse. There are FOUR fuse boxes in my Pilot, wow. Anyhoo, I did figure it out after consulting the manual, and sure enough there wasn't a fuse installed for some reason, dunno why.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote