19' Bed- Memory Foam Topper - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
19' Bed- Memory Foam Topper

I am trying to plan out a 19' bed and have a question about using memory foam

First, I do not have a clue as to the quality and comfort of the mattress that ships with the 19'. Any opinions of new users?

Second, how many of you had to add something to make sleeping tolerable?

Third, if you added memory foam, egg carton foam or a new mattress what dimensions worked best. I know the specs say 60x80 but it seems many of the memory foam toppers come in a 58x77 size. Do we now have a gap problem around the mattress? Or if it is a true 60x80 do we now start the 30 minute struggle to put on the sheets?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Re: 19' Bed- Memory Foam Topper

The mattress our 19 is great, we slept on it for a week after we picked up
our trailer. My wife found a one inch memory foam mattress topper (Queen size) we had
laying around and put it on for our last trip, I didn't really notice any difference.
The topper was a bit smaller then the mattress so the 58" x 77" is probably right.
We have had no problems making the bed, even tucking in the sheets.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I expect the foam in my 17B is the same that's used in the 19. I find it perfectly comfortable, but you may or may not. That's why mattresses are offered in soft, medium, firm, extra-firm, when you buy a bed for your home. I'd just try it and decide if you want it softer. I do know from my experience, making up the double, that the more you add, the harder it is to make the bed. My wife got a fitted mattress cover and then "fitted" sheets. I made the bed a couple days ago and it is a struggle, and doesn't look much different than if I had just thrown it all on the bed.

I'm dealing with four sections of foam and the mattress topper and fitted bottom sheet. The foam cushions themselves fit very tight, so when you start adding more layers it gets tough.

My inclination is to get two top sheets and sew a bag. Throw that on top of the cushions and the comforter on top of the lot.

baglo

Old 07-06-2009, 10:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Both my wife and I are quite happy with the mattress that came with the 19'. We have spent 24 nights in it now, with no complaints. Based on the level of my wife's snoring, I would have to rate it at least a 9/10.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:11 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to Edgar

Lisa and I just finished 7 nights on the Queen bed in the 19'. Very comfortable. We both slept well. We have a 1" memory foam topper from Walmart still sealed in the box. I may test it next week for comfort. My wife calls me a hard ass.

Edgar
19'
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:09 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape

We have not slept on the 19' mattress without the 2" memory foam topper I bought. I really wanted one with a removable cover, and purchased this one from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product

This one actually is 60 x 80. The Escape's mattress is also, except that it's not a perfect rectangle due to the rounded back of the trailer. So the pad is a tiny bit larger than the mattress in a couple of corners. I don't think the pad makes the bed any more or less difficult to make - it's a bit of a hassle if you're picky about having a neat-looking bed!

We've only spent 10 nights in our trailer so far, but every time my husband gets into bed he can't help but comment about how comfortable it is!
Old 07-07-2009, 01:17 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 'Houdini 2'

We have a 3" memory foam topper on the mattress that comes with the 19. We like a soft landing, and this is an absolutely perfect combination for us. We just make the bed on the 3" topper, so that the mattress cover, fitted bottom sheet and top sheet just go over the topper and do not include the mattress under all of it. We just have a comforter over all that and it is great. It really makes it much easier to make than including both mattresses, or for you 17ers, you wouldn't have to worry about the cushions falling apart when you make up the bed if you just tuck everything under the topper. I hope that makes sense!
Jenny
Old 07-07-2009, 01:26 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddys
We have a 3" memory foam topper on the mattress that comes with the 19. We like a soft landing, and this is an absolutely perfect combination for us. We just make the bed on the 3" topper, so that the mattress cover, fitted bottom sheet and top sheet just go over the topper and do not include the mattress under all of it. We just have a comforter over all that and it is great. It really makes it much easier to make than including both mattresses, or for you 17ers, you wouldn't have to worry about the cushions falling apart when you make up the bed if you just tuck everything under the topper. I hope that makes sense!
Jenny
Trailer games, eh!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:12 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

Don't forget to put the stabilizer jacks down..... :
Old 07-15-2009, 07:19 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: All...The original owners of "Our Escape Hatch" traded out the 5" foam for an 8" memory foam mattress. What a dream sleep...better than at home!!! The only prob. in the 5.0 is that it makes you 3"'s closer to the overhead storage bins... The other prob. is how to turn the mattress over for even wear I will have to live up to my handle "escape artist" to pull that flip off. Where's "Houdini" when you need him
Thanks to Ian& Jenny for a great time en route east...your trailer is AWSOME!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:52 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

That 8" mattress must be very heavy. I found that a 3" full sized one weighed nearly 30#. Is it possible to roll it up? Perhaps, if you know the manufacturer, they might have a toll free consumer line where hep may be be obtained. I'm trying to decide whether to wrestle with the 30#er. Good luck!
Old 07-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014

Thanks for all the excellent replies. After research into memory foam I decided on the following: Serta 3" memory foam mattress pad/topper in Queen Size at a 4lb weight from overstock.com. What does all this mean?

Here was my rationale. In my plans I wanted only a topper, read Escape Artist's issue above and you have one reason. In my research it appears that 3" is the recommended when you have some other cushioning under the topper. I have a four inch firm foam pad. Options are Queen Size or one can opt for a California King at the same price. The Queen is 1+" short on each side, probably not significant. Its actual dimensions are 58x77. The California King could be cut down with an electric knife to an exact size if you choose. Finally the weight, this is not how much the product weights but rather the density, it is how much a cubic foot of memory foam will weigh. This is a tricky part: your ideal foam weight depends on 1) your body weight, 2) what is under the foam, 3) side sleeper or back sleeper 4) quality of the foam. So what is right for you - depends! The majority of memory foams stops at 4lb, the Tempur-Pedic® are the only product I saw at 5.3lb.

I did not struggle with this as much as the thickness. More depth will be harder to move, carry and make up, but it will compress less. I really wanted 4" but was concerned about portability and frankly cost. The price went from $139 to $189 for the extra inch. Finally, I choose Serta because of the brand and a feeling that I could depend on quality. The web site overstock.com must have had over 1,000 customer reviews of the Serta products; I just did not see that with some of the "off" brands

Well, I got my memory foam today, three day delivery from the order date. It was just as expected. It has been open now about three hours, it has risen to the advertised 3" thickness, it still has a mild smell of the foam (they say 48 hours to two weeks to air out), fits with the expected short edge all around a queen bed and in my 10 minute trial feels wonderful. The true test will be an upcoming two week trip.

As a side note it weighs close to 40 pounds, will fold into thirds and really requires two people to move the Queen Size. It is subject to tears and if mishandled can be ripped.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:54 AM   #13

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Thanks for the "heads up".