19' Escape - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2009, 02:10 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Re: 19' Escape

Hi: GoCougsKev... A fullsize 3/4 ton 4X4 diesel pickup will stand fairly Tall!!! I know there are stingers that will drop dn. to some * but will it be enough for a level tow That was the crux of my question!!! Some smaller SUV 4X4 owners here have the axle lift on their trailers for the same reason.
I know Bob& Irene are coming down from a bigger stick built 5th. to a lightweight straight fiberglass trailer and will need a regular hitch. I'm just not sure of the required heights. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie

escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Alf, you can get a dropped hitch up to 6" in 1" increments if you look for them. The ball on my '02 Ford F250 with a Powerstroke engine, is about 24" to center of the ball on a straight hitch. Only 3" higher then my Pilot, but the Pilot is built in, in the factory setting it up into the bumper a bit.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #13

Here is an 8" drop hitch (adjustable in 1" increments) that will accept a weight distribution hitch and anti sway bar. This particular hitch is a class III hitch, 1000 pounds tongue and has a 10,000 pound tow capacity, plenty for the Escape. You can also purchase these in a 10" and 12" total drop. This drop should be plenty, even for a stock super duty truck. They make these even with a greater drop, but the weight capacities of the hitch will also decrease, but again, this shouldnt be much of a issue if your only using it for an Escape trailer.

Twelve inches of travel will sure beat the heck out of a 3" axle lift, not to mention it is cheaper and a lot more flexible. You can go with the axle lift, but then you have to step into a taller trailer, have less clearance and so forth. But your right, a 3" axle lift alone will not cut it for a super duty truck, you will still have to get a hitch similar to this, so really no need for the axle lift if this is the only consideration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hitch.jpg (9.5 KB, 105 views)
GoCougsKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:23 PM   #14

Thanks for all the help and comments. This forum is invaluable!

I think we will stick with the standard mattress. Sounds like it should be fine.

Bruce, I would be interested looking at the web site for the custom boxes.

Gerry and GoCougsKev I will be looking forward to pictures especially if you can get any of the brackets that are added to accommodate the box. Should we decide to have the trailer shipped back here, then the box would need to be added after delivery.

Alf, I did order the axle lift but mainly because our driveway slopes up and I would like to be able to back the unit in. I thought the axle lift might keep the back bumper from digging into the asphalt. That would have been impossible for my last trailer, but given the short distance from the wheels to the bumper on the Escape, that might not be a problem.
The throat of my truck hitch is about 21” from the ground. I would guess that would put the top of the ball at about 23”. The weight of the trailer should push that down by 1”, I have Timbrens installed so it really wouldn’t be able to lower the hitch more than that. If the trailer is not level at that point I will use the adjustable drop hitch as suggested.
We are going to try the trailer without a weight distribution hitch or sway bar and see how it goes.
Bob120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #15
Geo

congrats on your trailer
Ours well be ready in August 5,
What options did you get.
What are your thoughts on trailer covers?
We live an hour from the escape manf.
Did a tour and liked what I saw.
George
gvandongen@yahoo.com
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:15 AM   #16

Our New 19' Escape

Hello All Escapees,

Last week we took delivery of our Escape 19 from the factory and after reading this thread, we thought to use this opportunity to introduce ourselves. We live in Marysville, WA about 10 minutes from I-5 and two hours from the factory. We are fairly new to trailering, having had a tent trailer, but are experienced boaters who cruise in a 25 foot Ranger Tug so working with small spaces is well within our comfort zone. We are new to some of the systems and will continue to look for tips and wisdom on this forum.

We have spent the last three days getting the trailer set up. We do our own modifications and drilling holes is no longer an emotional experience. We have added 12 volt fans, stereo system that plays the iPod and the movies from the laptop. We also ordered the trailer with twin 6-volt batteries that are mounted between the cabin and the dual propane tanks.

We pull it with a 1/2 ton Dodge quad-cab with 4 wheel drive and the trailer is hardly noticed. Our usual 16 MPG dropped to 12 MPG but we are quite used to 9 MPG when pulling the 8,200 pound tug down the highway. The truck is the mobile storage unit that carries the folding bikes, the scuba dive gear, and the generator (should it be needed).

In mid-March we are heading on a two-week trip to Southern California, Tucson and friends in Phoenix.

Love the product and look forward to hearing from you.

John & Laurie Gray
19' Escape
jlgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:23 AM   #17
M. Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob120
Gerry and GoCougsKev I will be looking forward to pictures especially if you can get any of the brackets that are added to accommodate the box. Should we decide to have the trailer shipped back here, then the box would need to be added after delivery.
I am attempting to attach a picture of the "trailer" portion of the 19' Escape that is modified to accept a box on the tongue. You can see the raised framing just behind the propane tank mount. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trailer frame.jpg (77.5 KB, 188 views)
Old 02-14-2010, 08:11 AM   #18

Congratulations George. We did not have the benefit of a factory visit before we committed, so it’s good to hear your comments about the visit helping you to make up your mind. We tried to ordered options that we thought we might like, but that would be difficult to add in the future, such as the high lift axle, solar, extra insulation and thermal windows. Changes to cushion colour, cabinet shelving/storage are things we felt could be altered in the future without too much difficulty if needed.

We did order the custom fit cover, but we have no experience with them. I just hope it doesn’t end up stored in our basement along with a few of our other great ideas. Our winter storage area has probably over 200 trailers and while many have their wheels covered, I see none with a custom cover. Perhaps they are just too difficult to put on the bigger units. We don’t have indoor storage like Alf does, so I thought it would at least help to keep the ice and snow off. Many have suggested it is more for keeping the sun off the fibreglass. I expect to keep this trailer for a long time so if the cover keeps it looking good for a few extra years, then it will have been a worthwhile purchase.

Bob
Old 02-14-2010, 08:38 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

John and Laurie, congratulations on your purchase. We have really enjoyed the benefits of our 19.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:40 AM   #20

Thanks Mike M for the picture of the raised frame. Can I assume this is done to allow space for the equalizer hitch? Probably a good idea to have this added during the frame construction if I have any intention of adding some type of box down the road.
Bob