19 Escape Storage - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2015, 03:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 17
19 Escape Storage

Hello,
We have just pushed the button on the final build sheet. To say that we are excited would be an understatement. What my wife wants to know is the brand and size of bins that would be best for under the bed. We are unloading our 17B in preparation to list for sale. We thought we might as well load the things into bins that would work in the 19. The other question is the size of the mat that people have used inside the door. We saw some at Osoyoos that people bought at Walmart. The runner size was easy, but the mat for the door comes in two sizes. One final question, has anyone mounted Umbra hooks on the dinette side of the bathroom. If so what size of the hooks did you mount?
Thanks,
Greig
Groma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
We went with 2 Sterilite 67Quart Wheeled Latch Boxes from the Home Depot and took off the two front wheels. You have to put something in front of them to keep one from "migrating" out into the aisle when traveling. I either use a 1 quart thermos or roll of paper towels in the space before the door. (there is a slight drop in the floor between the door & the "raised" floor of the bin below the bed. When you need something from the right one, you just lift up the front and pull it out. If you need something from the left one, you have to remove the right one first. Left keeps items that I don't need all the time such as extra 30Amp wire, extra hose, etc. The one on the right holds our cookware.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 17
Thanks Kevin,
So they have to be put under the bed in a special order? If so why?
Cheers,
Greig
Groma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:05 PM   #4

I had a friend construct a couple of wooden boxes to go under the bed. I mounted some back and side strips to contain them, and have a removable bar in front that keeps them from sliding forward. So far they're not on rollers, but seem to work OK.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1301.JPG   IMG_1302.JPG   IMG_1303.JPG   IMG_1304.JPG  
Old 06-05-2015, 06:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groma View Post
Thanks Kevin,
So they have to be put under the bed in a special order? If so why?
Cheers,
Greig
The under bed storage has the water pump on the right (passenger) side taking up space. Because of that, you can get one bin in straight, while the second one (on the drivers side) is to the left of the double door opening. One bin fits straight in, while the other is to its left.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:03 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
I had a friend construct a couple of wooden boxes to go under the bed. I mounted some back and side strips to contain them, and have a removable bar in front that keeps them from sliding forward. So far they're not on rollers, but seem to work OK.
The veneer on the floor mounted rail your boxes are sliding over isn't very thick. You might want to add a higher rail behind that, or put the drawers on slides, otherwise it'll soon show ugly wear marks.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:13 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
We picked up our new 19 in May and had Umbra hooks installed at orientation. We bought an 8 hook Umbra hook. Escape cut it in half and installed a row of 4 to the right of the bathroom door and the other row of 4 around the corner in the dinette. We hang jackets on the first row and cameras and binoculars on the second row. We are pleased with the arrangement.

dave
Dave Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:35 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groma View Post
Hello,
We have just pushed the button on the final build sheet. To say that we are excited would be an understatement. What my wife wants to know is the brand and size of bins that would be best for under the bed. We are unloading our 17B in preparation to list for sale. We thought we might as well load the things into bins that would work in the 19. The other question is the size of the mat that people have used inside the door. We saw some at Osoyoos that people bought at Walmart. The runner size was easy, but the mat for the door comes in two sizes. One final question, has anyone mounted Umbra hooks on the dinette side of the bathroom. If so what size of the hooks did you mount?
Thanks,
Greig
We had two bins under the bed side by side that were 14" wide. Our water pump was on the driver's side so I take it that has changed. We stuffed rugs to the one side of the bins. The bins had lids so we would have to take them out and open the lids. You can get plastic drawers, however. A plastic frame goes around a drawer and the drawer can be easily pulled out instead of having to move the whole bin every time you want something. That is what we will likely change to and have seen them at several stores. We will not be able to store as much though unless we have four drawers with two behind the other two. Not sure how that will work. The other bins were larger. You can find the drawers at a discount or home store. To keep bins from bursting the doors open, we use a Gear Tie in the handles.

The mat we use outside that is nylon or vinyl was not sufficient for the rain and mud we would often encounter so we have a second all-weather mat inside. Large if you want to run it across to the bath, or small if not.

There are lots of hooks at many places if you google them, so we have ordered a variety.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:22 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We went the same route as Kevin & Barbara; however, the bins I got were from Target and didn't have wheels (the one on the left is a 34q Hefty brand). I pack our dry food "stuff" in these bins because: they're basically at floor level and easy to get to, and the area is close enough to the axles so the weight is somewhat at mid-point. If I want to see everything in the bin on the left, I do have to remove the bin on the right; however, most always, I know what's in that bin and can just reach in. When we travel, I bungee the doors together and haven't (so far) had it slide forward once. There is still enough room underneath to have another bin in back (accessible from the outside hatch) for things like garbage bags, black water deodorizer, etc. And there's still more room after that (that's our screen room in the very back but it's only there when the trailer is being stored).
Attached Thumbnails
Storage.JPG   Storage1.JPG  

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:25 AM   #10

This picture shows how the bins fit under the bed of the 19. The bins open in the middle which is convenient. Also, we use the one on the left for items we don't need often such as extra 25' water hose, extra 25' electrical cord, step stool, dog bone (30A to 15A adapter), etc. As you can see, the floor beneath the bed is raised with about a 4" gap before the doors. By inserting either our thermos, paper towels or 12Volt vacuum, the doors don't take any abuse from the bins hitting them. We've taken the front wheels off and I am considering adding some rubber feet to the front to reduce sliding.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0577.jpg  
Old 06-06-2015, 01:36 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
We used the 5 hook Umbra
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 06-06-2015, 03:24 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Whiting View Post
We picked up our new 19 in May and had Umbra hooks installed at orientation. We bought an 8 hook Umbra hook. Escape cut it in half and installed a row of 4 to the right of the bathroom door and the other row of 4 around the corner in the dinette. We hang jackets on the first row and cameras and binoculars on the second row. We are pleased with the arrangement.

dave
Ours are in the same location. We gave them two 5 hook models, and they cut one hook off the one facing the door.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
The veneer on the floor mounted rail your boxes are sliding over isn't very thick. You might want to add a higher rail behind that, or put the drawers on slides, otherwise it'll soon show ugly wear marks.
Actually, the boxes don't touch that veneer at all. Sliding out, they rest on the aluminum strip on the raised portion of the floor under the bed (I believe it's the water tank under there). Extended out into the galley area, they completely miss that veneer strip, even with the front end resting on the floor. The only time they might touch is moving the boxes in or out completely, which we don't do very often. When we do, we're careful.

That said, I'm still considering some sort of roller mechanism, just to ease the access.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:18 AM   #14

Here is a link to a drawer I built for our 19' a couple of years ago. It's still working great.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...rage-1464.html

Paul S.

2012 Escape 19'
2013 F350 crewcab 4x4
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S. View Post
Here is a link to a drawer I built for our 19' a couple of years ago. It's still working great.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...rage-1464.html

Paul S.
That's a great design! I considered a single drawer, but decided two would be more flexible. I don't recall the final length of them, but did want to leave some room at the back so I could easily slide in things from the exterior access hatch. The space at the very rear driver corner isn't easily usable, so that where I'm stashing the stuff I hope to never or very seldom need: 12 volt air pump, the wedge for raising the tire in case of a flat, and a spare water pump.