19 tire pressure - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2018, 07:59 PM   #21

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Adventures View Post
Not sure I think the change to Rainier is an improvement but I am pleased to have D rated instead of C. Fortunately, Escape trailers are lightweight so as long as the tires are inflated properly they are much less likely to be a "China Bomb" on an Escape than if installed on one of those huge 5th wheel, heavy, rolling homes. I'm sure that when replacement time comes, I will be very discerning on which brand to purchase but for now, the trailer came with these, they are new and I am not going to toss money at replacements just because they are new to the market and to Escape.

I'm guessing that since you state you will not be running these tires on your Escape that you plan to replace them as soon as you get your trailer?.
I agree that the lighter weight of the Escape (and not running under inflated)will make it less likely to experience the China bomb. But after spending over $30k on a new Escape the cost of a better (or better known) tire seems like a small & worthwhile expense to me if nothing more than some piece of mind. Yes my plan is to replace the tires. I was planning for the aluminum wheels but now may purchase wheels on my own with the tires I want. The steel wheels can be used for storage or sold. Luckily my build sheet is not due yet.

We also tossed money to replace the perfectly functional fabric...and flooring...and counter.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:43 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbiscuit View Post
I agree, it's one of those topics. I guess I should have asked if anyone remembers what ETI says TP should be set to.
The 50 psi recommended by ETI fits the max psi on the Carlisle tires fitted to my 5.0 TA.
So far I’ve only put about 8000 mi on them and they are not showing any wear. The trailer must be ridding pretty smooth cause nothing is ever out of place. Towed at speeds as high as 70 mph and the tires never get excessively warm.
Works for me 😎
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:19 AM   #23

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Couldn't find a manufacturer for Rainier other then the distributor Tredit pulled the patent for them. Tredit looks to be the major tire distributor for the RV trade in Elkhart. There's mention of Jaco and Keystone using them. The oldest mention I saw was from 2014. I saw one post about a problem with one at 3000 miles, nothing else. Personally I'd leave them on and just keep an eye on them for uneven wear, but bles, cracking, and so forth.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:08 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Couldn't find a manufacturer for Rainier other then the distributor Tredit pulled the patent for them. Tredit looks to be the major tire distributor for the RV trade in Elkhart. There's mention of Jaco and Keystone using them. The oldest mention I saw was from 2014. I saw one post about a problem with one at 3000 miles, nothing else. Personally I'd leave them on and just keep an eye on them for uneven wear, but bles, cracking, and so forth.
Jayco has gone to GoodYear, not that it says anything about either tire. Jayco to install American-made tires on all RVs | RV Daily Report
Old 06-13-2018, 07:36 AM   #25

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
1 down.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:32 AM   #26

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
I agree that the lighter weight of the Escape (and not running under inflated)will make it less likely to experience the China bomb. But after spending over $30k on a new Escape the cost of a better (or better known) tire seems like a small & worthwhile expense to me if nothing more than some piece of mind. Yes my plan is to replace the tires. I was planning for the aluminum wheels but now may purchase wheels on my own with the tires I want. The steel wheels can be used for storage or sold. Luckily my build sheet is not due yet.

We also tossed money to replace the perfectly functional fabric...and flooring...and counter.

You are fortunate in that you know going in that Escape has changed tires from a known brand to an unknown brand. I thought that my trailer would have Carlisle tires on it and was disappointed when we picked it up and it had tires from an unknown company. Unfortunately, we were stuck with what we had and will give them a few years before replacement.

Perhaps you could ask ETI if they will put the tires of your choice on the trailer during construction if you have a local vendor provide the tires to ETI. Who knows, ETI might provide you some credit for not taking the Rainier tires which would save you a few $$. Further, if enough purchasers make the request for name brand tires, perhaps ETI will at least begin to offer them as an option.
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Adventures View Post
You are fortunate in that you know going in that Escape has changed tires from a known brand to an unknown brand. I thought that my trailer would have Carlisle tires on it and was disappointed when we picked it up and it had tires from an unknown company. Unfortunately, we were stuck with what we had and will give them a few years before replacement.

Perhaps you could ask ETI if they will put the tires of your choice on the trailer during construction if you have a local vendor provide the tires to ETI. Who knows, ETI might provide you some credit for not taking the Rainier tires which would save you a few $$. Further, if enough purchasers make the request for name brand tires, perhaps ETI will at least begin to offer them as an option.
Yes, lucky by 2 weeks...so that was cutting in close. I wish ETI would list all these specs but I suppose it would get to be an updating issue as they don't seem to keep the website totally current/accurate as is. Most people probably don't care anyway.

I think others have tried to provide other wheels tires and it requires you to get the mounted tires to ETI. I can buy the aluminum rims locally for about the same price as ETI charges so really my only extra cost is the tires and I will get the 5 steel wheels for "free". I also can avoid the exterior wheel weights on the aluminum wheels that you get from ETI. Might not be bad to keep the steel wheels to make future tire replacements potentially easier, if putting on old wheels is easier than putting it up on jack stands.

I would like to think the industry has learned about the junk ST tires and has made improvements, so the standard tires by be just fine especially on the lighter Escape. Just keep them properly inflated.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:49 AM   #28

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
I appreciate members posting information based upon their experience rather than guessing or assuming.

Thank you for the valuable contribution to the discussion. Very insightful.

I was curious about his intentions based on his comments and "guessed" that his plan was to replace the tires. I am sorry that this struck a nerve with you.

If members of this forum complied with your desire there would be at least 50% fewer posts. Perhaps more useful overall but much more sterile without an atmosphere of community.
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:35 AM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Opinions

I consider opinions and anecdotal experiences to be conversation whether germaine the to the topic at hand or as an oblique reference. For me it stimulates thought and investigation, if it doesn’t interest me, I move on. Of course I have lived a sheltered life with few experiences so I’m interested in about anything.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-13-2018, 11:48 AM   #30

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
There are a number of posts on the sticky forums concerning the Reindeer tires, so many times people may not have direct experience, but informed experience. I wouldn’t discount anyone’s input, all is valuable.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:34 PM   #31

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
While the Rainier-branded tires may be junk, it seems that so are most ST tires... including in the opinion of many the Goodyear Marathons and Carlisles previously used by Escape. I wouldn't want any of them, but have no issue with ETI using them... they have to use something and would be criticized for using anything other than an ST tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
According to Escape, their new tires are Rainier ST205/75 R15 ST tires with load rating of "C" which is 6 plies. The tire is 23.3 did/8" wide, 2150# capacity @ 65 psi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Ranier does have a "D" tire with 65 psi which some owners are saying is on their tire, maybe the person at ETI looked at the wrong tire Rainier
This information from someone at Escape is inconsistent and so must be incorrect. An ST tire in that size of Load Range C has a maximum inflation pressure of 50 PSI, while an ST tire in that size of Load Range D has a maximum inflation pressure of 65 PSI. As suggested by other posts, the tire with a load capacity of 2150 pounds capacity @ 65 is a Load Range D.
Rainer STR

The "ply" numbers are references to an antiquated system of tire construction. Load Range C is sometimes called "6 ply rating", and Load Range C is sometimes called "8 ply rating".
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:23 AM   #32

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 on order
Thanks to all who replied. The Max Pressure listed on the sidewall of mine says 65 PSI. I've decided to set it at 65 and be done with it. I'll replace the tires with a higher load and speed rating at some point in the future. I just didn't feel like replacing brand new tires at this point. I'll probably do it before next season.
Kingbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:48 AM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbiscuit View Post
Thanks to all who replied. The Max Pressure listed on the sidewall of mine says 65 PSI. I've decided to set it at 65 and be done with it. I'll replace the tires with a higher load and speed rating at some point in the future. I just didn't feel like replacing brand new tires at this point. I'll probably do it before next season.
Sounds sensible, though I certainly would not even consider replacing them until they are either worn or 6 years has passed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:01 PM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
regardless of the tire rating, the proper pressure is based on the actual load.

I happen to have load range E all terrain tires on my Tacoma, their sidewalls say 80 PSI... but the Tacoma only weighs like 5300 lbs max, and its optimal pressure is like 29 PSI front, 36 PSI rear (or something like that, I'm not going to go check it). Running 80 PSI would be suitable for a F350 rear axle at max load.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:15 PM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
regardless of the tire rating, the proper pressure is based on the actual load.
It is actually minimum pressure based on load, not the proper pressure. Most tire manufacturers and shops stress this.

For instance, many trailers with ST tires have loads that vary all the time. To change pressure to match the minimum a the time would be crazy.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:19 PM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
the standard compromise is to use the trailer GWR, for our Escapes, thats the 50 PSI given by the factory

I note many of my cars have two sets of pressure numbers. one for max capacity, the other for 2-passengers with minimal cargo representing every day use, which gives a more comfortable ride. my wife's 1994 mercedes wagon, also says, 'for speeds over 100MPH, add 8 PSI", or something like that.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:19 PM   #37

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I finally checked my tire pressure it says 50 max on the closet door and on the tire soi filled them to 50 I have a 5.0 so most likely different tires
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:34 PM   #38

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I have a 5.0 so most likely different tires
No, the 5.0TA gets the same tires as every other current Escape model. The 17' puts the most load on each tire (because it has only two tires), and the 19' puts the least load on each tire (because it is the lightest of the tandem-axle models).

50 PSI is not required for sufficient load capacity for any Escape model (although the 17' is close) but it is not unreasonably high for any of them, either.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:17 PM   #39

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
When returning home from the Mississippi River Rendevous we encountered some heavy rains . Our trailer has the Rainier D rated tires and we expierienced some hydroplaning
which was rather scary
Has anyone else encountered this issue ?
Our past trailers had Goodyear or Carlisle tires which were quite stable in the rain
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:33 PM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've experienced my vehicle hydroplaning ( not while towing ), but how can you tell the trailer is hydroplaning?