1st trip out... Fridge won't operate on gas - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2016, 01:50 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes, propane leaks anywhere from the tanks to the appliance, was where I was referring to. There has to be some release other wise you would not have to reprime the lines each season..
Boy, if there are leaks at all, there are problems that need to be addressed. Leaks would not be a reason that you need to purge lines, as they would still be full of propane. The only time I have had to purge is after changing out a tank.

My propane goes on in the spring and the bottle does not get shut off except for going and refilling. Never had a problem, but make sure the detector is doing its job.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:52 PM   #22

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I turn off my tanks if the trailer is going to sit for a while, like a month or more. Have not noticed any leaks.

When it sits for a month, the appliances start right up. When it sits for 4-6 months it takes a minute to get the gas flowing. I start the stove first.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:40 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Propane

We get things fired up in the spring before we go out for the first time and after that I generally leave the valves open until I notice a switchover. I take off the empty, get it refilled. hook back up and reopen the valve. Stays that waytill we winterize. If it's leaking, you will smell it. Worked for me for many years, doubt I will change now. Had a Chinese regulator leak on my 500 gallon at the house, you could smell it at 50 yards.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:22 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold
Assuming success was premature

Well I guess I spoke too fast! The fridge (RM8551) has been on for several hours and has not cooled down at all! The burner was on and the area around it warm (hot) but getting no cooling. Not a particularly warm day here either. It worked while we we camping (on 120 AC) so this is a puzzle!

I saw on a video a technician cleaning a burner with "canned air" like you might use on a computer. But if the burner was dirty, it probably would not light... right?

Fred
fbalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:29 PM   #25

Leave it longer, watch the freezer temp.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:32 PM   #26
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Ha, ha, ha, that is the reset button on ours which is inside on strip of buttons. I take it you do not have such a strip you use inside the refrigerator to operate it, as some of us do, far right for that button. So you may have a triangle someplace else. Or not!

P.S. I should not say reset "button" because it is merely a flat place on a strip that you push, just as for operating.
Now we feel silly (another word comes to mind). We thought the reset button was on the back of the fridge....see it on the strip. Dugghhh!
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:03 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold
Still no success on gas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Leave it longer, watch the freezer temp.
Tried a different approach. Left the fridge on 120 over night and this morning I switched it over to gas. The gas ticked and then lit. When I switched over to gas the fridge was at about 37F. Now eight hours later the fridge is at 70F. Water on the fins in the fridge. Checking outside and removing the metal housing around the flame I can see that it is still lit. In fact, some parts in there looked red hot. So obviously there is something wrong. Guess I'm going to have to take it to a RV tech.

Fred Alexander
fbalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:40 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
My RM8551 when on propane has just begun refusing to get cold. Works great on shore power but tests on propane the last 2 days have been totally bad, as in DOA-bad.

Got all fridge lights, plenty of gas, blue Piezo flame, but no refrigeration. Doing my best to not going nuclear.
Attached Thumbnails
piezo.jpg  
Old 07-20-2016, 06:48 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Time to get the big "D" model.....
Old 07-20-2016, 06:55 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
My RM8551 when on propane has just begun refusing to get cold. Works great on shore power but tests on propane the last 2 days have been totally bad, as in DOA-bad.

Got all fridge lights, plenty of gas, blue Piezo flame, but no refrigeration. Doing my best to not going nuclear.
Hi: MyronL... This is the first I've heard of a "Nuclear" fridge!!! Who makes it?
Sounds like a regulator problem or something clogging the gas line. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:26 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post

That was same as what happened with mine. Worked well for first year and one-half, but then just stopped cooling on propane, even though the burner was working. We ended up switching the fridge out for the RMD8551 and so far it has worked ok.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:28 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
A door closure issue, seems more common on the double door model. Need to do a reset on the electronics? I have not examined my flame that close but that looks like a pretty good blaze going on. Is it staying on? Blockage in the tube? Mud dauber nest? Location of the thermistor?

If that flame keeps going it maybe something with the coolant, an ammonia loss? Are the fins getting cold? Is the refrigerator level? Here is a link that maybe relevant,

Did I ask if the refrigerator is level?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:06 PM   #33

Don't both the electric and the gas heat the same ammonia?
Old 07-20-2016, 08:25 PM   #34

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Don't both the electric and the gas heat the same ammonia?
Yes, so if it works off electric then it still is using the ammonia for cooling.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:29 PM   #35

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Yes, all of the heat sources drive the same absorption cycle system. If it worked on both AC power and propane, and now only works on AC power, it seems to me that there are two possibilities (or it could be a combination of the two):
  1. the propane burner is not producing as much heat as before (even if it still lights), or
  2. the performance on any heat source has degraded, and the problem is only really noticeable on propane because that was the more marginal source all along.

The second option is certainly possible, but in most of these refrigerators the propane burner is the strongest heat source.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:17 PM   #36

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
fridges

I wish ETI would let us take out the 3 way fridge and put in a truck fridge with 12 volt with duel batteries and solar why screw around with propane ? I've had friends come down to SW Florida and their 3 way fridges don't work so well . I talked to Sarah she said they could delete fridge and leave the cabinet open .I would have to get my own . I still don't know what $ one would get deleting the 3 way fridge .

If we get the 3 way can we just run on 12 volt or 110 ac and forget propane .(I did order the extra rear fridge fan)The only time propane comes in handy is boon docking for hot water and burners for coffee.The SE of America most campsites have elec 110 even in national parks . That's why I wanted solar to keep up the fridge on 12 volt . I hope this new Fridge for the 21 is up to the SW Florida Summers
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:19 PM   #37

Trailer: 2014 19'
Clean the propane jet? Crap from the propane filling tank flies in and restricts flow.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:24 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 19'
Add a couple of these to the system, one on each side of the regulator. Got mine on Amazon.

by Advanced Fuel Components

Advanced Fuel Components Universal Inline Propane Lpg Filter Replaceable Filter Magnetic Liquid High Psi
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:37 PM   #39

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Add a couple of these to the system, one on each side of the regulator. Got mine on Amazon...
This looks like the AFC Model 155, a 40-micron inline filter. That makes some sense to me to catch particles, although I don't know that it would make any difference to the water and oil that also comes with propane.

How often do you find you need to clean these filters? Does it come apart without rotating the pipe threads? It seems like would be a pain to clean if everything on one side of the filter had to rotate to unscrew the filter holder, and of course it's crazy to undo a tapered pipe thread just to clean a filter.

Also, the differential pressure to flow chart suggests that nothing will flow through it in low-pressure plumbing, so it would only be useful upstream of the regulator. AFC suggests it only for the inlet of the regulator.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:43 PM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
I wish ETI would let us take out the 3 way fridge and put in a truck fridge with 12 volt with duel batteries and solar why screw around with propane ? I've had friends come down to SW Florida and their 3 way fridges don't work so well . I talked to Sarah she said they could delete fridge and leave the cabinet open .I would have to get my own . I still don't know what $ one would get deleting the 3 way fridge .
I don't see the problem. Order your trailer with the fridge deleted.