1st trip out... Fridge won't operate on gas - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2016, 01:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold
1st trip out... Fridge won't operate on gas

Tuesday was our first trip out since picking up the trailer in Calgary last August. I don't think we fired up the fridge on gas even returning home from Calgary. It was always on shore power or 12 volt. Anyway, When we got to the campsite I turned on the gas at the bottles fired up the stove elements, then tried the fridge and got the blinking red alert sign as well and the blinking green light to indicate startup with gas failed. Instructions say fire up other gas appliances as there could be a air lock. So I fired up the hot water tank and even "tested" the furnace. Tried the fridge again, but still the blinking alert LED's. Guess I have to take it to a RV center to have them check the fridge. Or... does anybody have any other suggestions? We had shore power so it didn't spoil our experience.

Fred Alexander
fbalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:42 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Make sure the door is closed securely. Not familiar with what model the 17 is currently using, you might mention that. Open the outside access door and check that it is attempting to ignite, there should be a loud clicking as the piezo lighter fires. Is the control panel lighting up? Can you switch to 12 volt for a quick check to see it is working as such?

After doing the above, provide more details so others can add.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Try it a couple more times. It doesn't use much gas and there may still be air in the lines.

Remove the outside cover and listen for the igniter clicking/sparking while someone else turns it on. Open the burner covers and be sure the gas orifice and combustion area are clean and clear. Check/reposition the igniter gap.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:40 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If you're new to this... Checking all appliances on gas is one of the mental checklist items I do a few days before we travel. 2 or 3 days ahead gives me time to fix something if needed.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
Try it a couple more times. It doesn't use much gas and there may still be air in the lines.
I agree. Running the other appliances ensures that the lines are full of propane (and not air), except for the final bit of line which runs only to the refrigerator - that's from under the floor to the control valve on the refrigerator. It could take a few tries to flush out that part.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:32 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbalexander View Post
Tuesday was our first trip out since picking up the trailer in Calgary last August. I don't think we fired up the fridge on gas even returning home from Calgary. It was always on shore power or 12 volt. Anyway, When we got to the campsite I turned on the gas at the bottles fired up the stove elements, then tried the fridge and got the blinking red alert sign as well and the blinking green light to indicate startup with gas failed. Instructions say fire up other gas appliances as there could be a air lock. So I fired up the hot water tank and even "tested" the furnace. Tried the fridge again, but still the blinking alert LED's. Guess I have to take it to a RV center to have them check the fridge. Or... does anybody have any other suggestions? We had shore power so it didn't spoil our experience.

Fred Alexander
Hi: fbalexander... Could be that the igniter points are mis-aligned.
An earwig crawled through our home A/C external contacter and fried the contacts on the hottest day of the year so far. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:42 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
At least he got what he had coming. But it was a spensive bug zapper.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:

Fred Alexander

You might need to push the reset button on far right and then try again.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:08 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17B, 2012
I once had a mess of spider web on the burner. I heard that spiders and other critters like the smell of propane.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I agree. Running the other appliances ensures that the lines are full of propane (and not air), except for the final bit of line which runs only to the refrigerator - that's from under the floor to the control valve on the refrigerator. It could take a few tries to flush out that part.

Over the three days of camping I tried several times but all I got were the same LED's lighting up.

Fred
Old 07-14-2016, 09:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
You might need to push the reset button on far right and then try again.

This is the optional fridge on the 17. The only button I see on the right is the button to adjust how cold you want the fridge. Is the reset button at the back of the fridge?

Fred
Old 07-14-2016, 10:08 PM   #12

Quote:
This is the optional fridge on the 17. The only button I see on the right is the button to adjust how cold you want the fridge. Is the reset button at the back of the fridge?

Fred
Sorry, I don't know where I got the idea that you had the same fridge, as the 17' would be different --- think I only looked at the year. Since it is the first trip out, good chance as someone has mentioned that something is in the burner. I can only tell you to do what others have said and keep trying a few times after checking the burner. Hopefully, it is a minor matter to do with not having been used a while. I don't know if you have a reset button.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:14 PM   #13
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
We just got back from a trip to Yosemite and had the same problem. We e-mailed Escape and Reace said to push the "triangle" button on the unit--we couldn't find it! Does anyone know where it is?

But, when we put the fridge on battery and then selected the propane, the propane worked and we used propane the entire week. It was a work-around for us and we are pleased with the outcome. Now that we are home, we'll have more resources to figure out what is going on....
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:17 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Inside your fridge is a label. It will give the model number. If you post that, maybe somebody with the same fridge can help.
Attached Thumbnails
fridge label.jpg  
Old 07-14-2016, 10:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post
We just got back from a trip to Yosemite and had the same problem. We e-mailed Escape and Reace said to push the "triangle" button on the unit--we couldn't find it! Does anyone know where it is?

But, when we put the fridge on battery and then selected the propane, the propane worked and we used propane the entire week. It was a work-around for us and we are pleased with the outcome. Now that we are home, we'll have more resources to figure out what is going on....
Ha, ha, ha, that is the reset button on ours which is inside on strip of buttons. I take it you do not have such a strip you use inside the refrigerator to operate it, as some of us do, far right for that button. So you may have a triangle someplace else. Or not!

P.S. I should not say reset "button" because it is merely a flat place on a strip that you push, just as for operating.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:51 PM   #16

Success! I think!

Just went out to the trailer again to try it. Took the cover off outside first then went in and pressed the buttons. Rushed outside to "hear" for the clicking. Clicking she was. Could not tell if it was lit so I took the screw out that holds the metal cover. On the second cycle, it seems to have lit. Going to leave it running for a few hours to see if the fridge cools more on propane than it did on 110.

This whole scenario begs the question (which I asked before) is it better to leave the propane bottles "on" or turn them "off" when the trailer is not in use. BUT... will I lose all my propane over time if I leave them on?!

Fred
Old 07-15-2016, 12:57 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have always had better luck with 120v than propane and if available I use 120v operation. Leaving your propane system "on" can run the risk of leaks if unattended. I use propane while towing and find that it is almost just as cold as with 120v.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:07 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Leaving your propane system "on" can run the risk of leaks if unattended.
What leaks are you referring too? My guess was gas, but don't want to jump to conclusions. There is no more risk of gas leaking whether turned to gas or electric.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:09 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, propane leaks anywhere from the tanks to the appliance, was where I was referring to. There has to be some release other wise you would not have to reprime the lines each season..
Old 07-15-2016, 01:40 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
This whole scenario begs the question (which I asked before) is it better to leave the propane bottles "on" or turn them "off" when the trailer is not in use. BUT... will I lose all my propane over time if I leave them on?!
While it makes good sense to leave the tanks shut off when the trailer is unattended for a long time (that is, in storage), there is no reason to shut it off while you are camping - whether you are using anything propane-fueled or not. If propane is leaking out of the system, the loss of propane should be the least of your concerns... any leak needs to be fixed.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote