2017 Dometic AC fan is quite loud. - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2017, 10:13 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... I wear memo foam ear plugs to drown out the chainsaw running next to me. That way I don't hear the A/C either!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:20 AM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
I would also be happy to pay for a refrigerator I did not have to worry about when the temperture got above 90 degrees.
So would I. Off topic, but tropical rated rv fridges already exist. They just aren't sold in the US.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2017, 10:37 AM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
So would I. Off topic, but tropical rated rv fridges already exist. They just aren't sold in the US.

Is there much of a cost difference between the standard refrigerator sold in NA and the tropical rated ?
It maybe a worthwhile option ( if available) for those who live in the Southern USA.
We only has 2 days last summer where temps got above 90 deg but even when temps are in the 80's a refrigerator that could maintain safe temps would be welcome.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:52 AM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
Its all about how much money they can make not about how good of a product they can make.
SNIP
They would be double the cost but I would bet most anyone that lives where A/C is needed would be happy to pay the price.
If the market was there, somebody would fill it.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:10 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The American way of life! Buy cheap, throw it away and buy again.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:11 AM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Is there much of a cost difference between the standard refrigerator sold in NA and the tropical rated ?
It maybe a worthwhile option ( if available) for those who live in the Southern USA.
We only has 2 days last summer where temps got above 90 deg but even when temps are in the 80's a refrigerator that could maintain safe temps would be welcome.
I totally agree a T rated fridge would fit the north American market. There's really no cost difference either. But, the issue is that the manufacturers won't sell them here.

Old 04-16-2017, 11:15 AM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Especially if the manufacturing cost were substantially higher. A lot of people will choose price over quality, and then complain when the cheap, Chinese made gadget they bought at Walmart fails to last 1/10 as long as a well made, similar item that is priced accordingly. For example, stainless steel hardware that won't rust is priced higher than carbon steel. Many people refuse to pony up the higher price, and then complain when their screw heads are rusting. It's human nature to try to find a "bargain." I've know people to drive 10 miles one way because gasoline is 3 pennies less per gallon across town. That is primarily why a small market will not be filled.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:28 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
A lot of people will choose price over quality, and then complain when the cheap, Chinese made gadget they bought at Walmart fails to last 1/10 as long as a well made, similar item that is priced accordingly.
Exactly!!
Old 04-16-2017, 11:32 AM   #29

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If your 2011 Casita was fairly quiet, you were lucky. I follow the CasitaForum and everyone over there is $%^& about the new Mach 8. They're all trying to order the older model.

Sorry I have nothing to offer, I don't have A/C... just pre-wired.
Speaking only for this camper and don't frequent the Casita forum, but checked out this Coleman issue a while back during newbie trailer research with regard to AC brands. At the time it seemed the concern was associated with the increased outside noise versus previous Coleman models....studying the design led one to be concerned and thus this campers preference was for a trailer with a Dometic AC. However, after listening recently on two occasions to a new Coleman AC (latest factory revision) it would seem that Coleman has addressed the previous issue, at least to this campers ears. The new Coleman was very quiet inside compared to an 11k Dometic in another new trailer and outside neither was objectionable . Granted this listening test was not very scientific and an 11k Dometic and 9k Coleman ain't the same capacity. Perhaps a sound meter could have validated the listening test better.
Finally common sense prevailed and decided the AC was a not something to be concerned about...after a day of hiking, this camper would be in a state of deep sleep anyway ..what AC noise!.

Manufacturer's must love/hate the internet...even Escape Trailers is not immune to this...problems swarm social media and if the mfg later fixes it, the original problems live on the internet without being updated or deleted... thus perhaps affecting future sales for something that may no longer be an issue.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #30

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
More and more people are going full-time or PT/FT which is changing the market. Short weekend trips made one more concerned with cost over experience, but now with the shift to more FT users the demand and pressure will increase for better performing products. It will take some time to catch up, but if the trends continue the change will come.
Now the big problem going forward will be where are you going to park these rigs as more and more are hitting the road and spaces are becoming a premium.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:50 PM   #31

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
More and more people are going full-time or PT/FT which is changing the market. Short weekend trips made one more concerned with cost over experience, but now with the shift to more FT users the demand and pressure will increase for better performing products. It will take some time to catch up, but if the trends continue the change will come.
So when I'm able to import or design a rooftop with variable speed fans and compressor who is coming out east to be the first to have it installed?
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:18 PM   #32

I only expect my A/C to adequately cool my trailer and be relatively free from maintenance issues . I do not need nor do I want all the latest technology or bells and whistles. If an A/C was offered that was a few decibel points quieter or only slightly more energy efficient at double the price of the standard A/C unit , I would choose the standard A/C.
The increased value has to match the increased price.
Being CHEAP does not enter the picture.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:41 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
So when I'm able to import or design a rooftop with variable speed fans and compressor who is coming out east to be the first to have it installed?
We named our future retirement trailer 70 Degrees cause that is where we'll usually be hanging out. Maxx fan weather.... Not anticipating going to many locations where AC will be required at least for long stints, so not an area we'd put any money in unless the unit needs replacement. At that point we might head your way if you have something going on.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 03:32 PM   #34

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I only expect my A/C to adequately cool my trailer and be relatively free from maintenance issues . I do not need nor do I want all the latest technology or bells and whistles. If an A/C was offered that was a few decibel points quieter or only slightly more energy efficient at double the price of the standard A/C unit , I would choose the standard A/C.
The increased value has to match the increased price.
Being CHEAP does not enter the picture.
Steve: The target audience is someone who uses their A/C much more than 5 nights a year. I'm thinking Texas for one. As far as sound level did you go to the YouTube link in my earlier post and listen to the mini-split? Granted I haven't heard every overhead A/C out there but for the ones I have we aren't talking just a little bit quieter. We are talking extremely quiet.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:42 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Steve: The target audience is someone who uses their A/C much more than 5 nights a year. I'm thinking Texas for one. As far as sound level did you go to the YouTube link in my earlier post and listen to the mini-split? Granted I haven't heard every overhead A/C out there but for the ones I have we aren't talking just a little bit quieter. We are talking extremely quiet.
If you live next to an interstate highway, after a short period of time you don't even notice the traffic noise. Someone visits you and mentions it is loud, and your typical response is "I'm used to it, I don't really notice it.
If you hop into a new trailer and turn on the A/C, you might think it is loud. Pretty soon you will tune it out, especially if you live in a hot climate and need to run A/C frequently. Personally, I would rather be annoyed by a bit of noise than to sweat my butt off or be trying to go to sleep when I am sticky with perspiration. Frankly, I don't even hear the A/C when it is running; my brain has learned to tune it out. Anybody who wants to spend hundreds of dollars to get a stealth A/C, be my guest. I have no problem with the Dometic, and living in Florida, I can assure you it gets used more than 5 times a year.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:14 PM   #36

Red face

Quote:
To be fair I have a 70% hearing loss in one ear and a 75% loss in the other. I installed / wired many mini split A/C's when I worked in the trades . They serve their purpose in certain select applications but I didn't find them anything spectacular.
I can sleep through a thunder storm or screaming kids as my wife can a test .
I am not impressed by many of today's technological so called improvements ( except for the TV remote) , to me they are just reinventing the wheel by making it more complicated.
We're not fans of warm / hot weather and avoid it if at all possible ,
some don't have that luxury . It was a warm 58 deg here today so we went for a boat ride.
Maybe the mini split will someday be an option but hopefully not standard equipment.. I just would go without A/C if the cost gets any steeper
I am old school and old so please forgive me !
Old 04-16-2017, 05:55 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Steve, my hearing has really declined also, to where if I can not see your lips, I can not hear you.
The other day when the phone rang, I picked up the tv remote and started talking....without realizing no one was there??
Old 04-16-2017, 06:21 PM   #38

Trailer: 17
Losangeles
yes, our's is loud too. On High you cant hear someone talking across inside a 17 footer. You have to get up and walk over and talk. Low is slightly better. But I'm glad to have it. Would you describe it the same was as I did above?
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:37 PM   #39

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Just pretend you are camping on the edge of Niagara Falls, and your A/C is the white noise of millions of cubic feet of crystal clear water crashing to the misty depths below. Then pull your covers a little higher and enjoy the fantasy as you fade off to sleep.

That's the spirit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:43 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Steve, my hearing has really declined also, to where if I can not see your lips, I can not hear you.
The other day when the phone rang, I picked up the tv remote and started talking....without realizing no one was there??
If I have an important phone call to make or if I call and a women or someone with an accent answers , I either let my wife call or hand the phone to her .
Little children and women's voices are almost impossible for me to hear . Lip reading is becoming SOP .
I believe that's why when I read posts about noisy furnaces or air conditioners my mind says " WHAT NOISE".

Thanks Jim , it's nice to know someone understands and can empathize.