2017 Dometic AC fan is quite loud. - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2017, 07:56 PM   #41
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Just pretend you are camping on the edge of Niagara Falls, and your A/C is the white noise of millions of cubic feet of crystal clear water crashing to the misty depths below. Then pull your covers a little higher and enjoy the fantasy as you fade off to sleep.
Okay, I may date myself... but YEARS ago I was dating a fella that had a home right by one of the major freeways in Portland, Oregon. You can image the noise 24/7. Over his fireplace was a print of the Oregon coast and waves crashing. He told me, if the noise from the freeway bothers you... look at that picture. Yeah that freeway noise kinda reminded me of the waves crashing on the Oregon Coast.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:00 PM   #42

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Okay, I may date myself... but YEARS ago I .....
No Donna; Owning "Ten Forward" dates you pretty well.

Edit: Me? Oh I'd have to say NCC-1701(A) (not D)!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:04 PM   #43
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
No Donna; Owning "Ten Forward" dates you pretty well.
hahahahahah true story! First episode aired September 28, 1987 and the last May 23, 1994. Twenty-three flippiin' years ago! But Star Trek lives on thanks to cable TV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:14 AM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If I have an important phone call to make or if I call and a women or someone with an accent answers , I either let my wife call or hand the phone to her .
Little children and women's voices are almost impossible for me to hear . Lip reading is becoming SOP .
I believe that's why when I read posts about noisy furnaces or air conditioners my mind says " WHAT NOISE".

Thanks Jim , it's nice to know someone understands and can empathize.
I'm in the same boat guys. The $7000 hearing aids only help so much.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:53 AM   #45

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If my hearing loss is my only malaise, then I'm happy.....we shall see. Fortunately my eyes are still functioning properly, but that list is starting to get shorter as time time goes on.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:09 AM   #46

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Frankly, I don't even hear the A/C when it is running; my brain has learned to tune it out.
Carl: I'm certainly not trying to convince people they have a problem if they don't. I'm glad your setup works for you and you are out enjoying your trailer. It probably helps too that in the 5.0 the A/C is quite a bit further from the loft bed. In the 19 with the bed in the rear the A/C is almost right over top of you. It is not only the fan and compressor noise, but the vibration that was transmitted down the rigid shell. The mini-split may not be for everyone but it has made an unbelievable difference in the experience in our trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
To be fair I have a 70% hearing loss in one ear and a 75% loss in the other. I installed / wired many mini split A/C's when I worked in the trades . They serve their purpose in certain select applications but I didn't find them anything spectacular.
I wasn't accounting for hearing loss. That makes sense now that some on the forum are not so bothered and some are very annoyed with the volume of the A/C. Since you have a Casita it is a similar comparison but not exactly apples to apples due to all the variables involved.

I agree that the application has to be right for the mini-split but they really are nifty pieces of equipment in my opinion. In an effort to provide some objective information and not just say "it's better", here are a couple of the key features that I see over the standard rooftop units offered today:
-Quiet and efficient (variable speed compressor and condenser fan)
-4 fan speeds and Auto (indoor unit)
-Auto/Cool/Dry(dehumidifying)/Heating Modes
-Powerful Mode (for quicker cool down)
-Wireless remote controller
-Adjustable airflow positions or sweep setting
(This last one is an important detail in our setup so that the air can be set to blow over the top of someone in the cot and not blowing cold air directly on them)
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:34 AM   #47

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Carl: I'm certainly not trying to convince people they have a problem if they don't. I'm glad your setup works for you and you are out enjoying your trailer. It probably helps too that in the 5.0 the A/C is quite a bit further from the loft bed. In the 19 with the bed in the rear the A/C is almost right over top of you. It is not only the fan and compressor noise, but the vibration that was transmitted down the rigid shell. The mini-split may not be for everyone but it has made an unbelievable difference in the experience in our trailer.

I wasn't accounting for hearing loss. That makes sense now that some on the forum are not so bothered and some are very annoyed with the volume of the A/C. Since you have a Casita it is a similar comparison but not exactly apples to apples due to all the variables involved.

I agree that the application has to be right for the mini-split but they really are nifty pieces of equipment in my opinion. In an effort to provide some objective information and not just say "it's better", here are a couple of the key features that I see over the standard rooftop units offered today:
-Quiet and efficient (variable speed compressor and condenser fan)
-4 fan speeds and Auto (indoor unit)
-Auto/Cool/Dry(dehumidifying)/Heating Modes
-Powerful Mode (for quicker cool down)
-Wireless remote controller
-Adjustable airflow positions or sweep setting
(This last one is an important detail in our setup so that the air can be set to blow over the top of someone in the cot and not blowing cold air directly on them)
I would rather have the NIFTY Escape storage box on the front of my trailer . It has the qualities and attributes I desire.
There is nothing wrong with the mini split and may be advantageous for some .
I look at it like the $1000 cell phone or my vehicle which have thousands of really nifty applications that I neither know or care about and will never use
What you find as virtues in a mini split , I may find as a vice.
Everyone has a price they will pay for luxury and it differs .
As long as we all recognize that fact then there is no problem .

Hope your A/C works well for you and fulfills all your expectations
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:23 AM   #48

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Dave, I can understand fully. We all spend sometimes spend what others would think extravagantly to keep our individual RVing experiences happy. While A/C noise doesn't bother me, maybe due to the location of the unit in relation to the bed, the false propane alarms in the middle of the night do. So rattled, I couldn't fall asleep again, and it happened frequently, once, three nights in a row. Unfortunately, the propane alarm is located very close to the battery box in the 5.0TA. I strongly suspected it was a result of minute amounts of hydrogen, and the alarm manufacturer agreed the batteries were a likely culprit. I even put a switch on the propane alarm so I could silence it if it were to go off in the wee hours. I now have $300 of 1-1/2 year old Interstate 6v batteries on a maintenance charger in my garage, and I have no use for them. If someone wanted them, I would give them away. And I have $600 invested in two 6v AGM batteries in the trailer. Technically, the total cost is $900. But since I made the change, I haven't had a single false alarm. So I can understand spending a lot to address a problem which literally drives you nuts.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:34 AM   #49
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Carl, if I was anywhere near you, I'd take those Interstates off your hands. 😁

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2017, 12:01 PM   #50

Quote:
While A/C noise doesn't bother me, maybe due to the location of the unit in relation to the bed, the false propane alarms in the middle of the night do. So rattled, I couldn't fall asleep again, and it happened frequently, once, three nights in a row. Unfortunately, the propane alarm is located very close to the battery box in the 5.0TA. I strongly suspected it was a result of minute amounts of hydrogen, and the alarm manufacturer agreed the batteries were a likely culprit.
Had a similar problem that started just after replacing the MTI combination propane/CO detector and then relocating Interstate 6V's inside to accommodate the mini-split condenser on the tongue. Detector would go off randomly and usually during the night. I suspect probably due to less fresh air with windows closed and no general movement in and out of the trailer like during the day. Batteries are in a vented box under the front dinette seat and pretty far from the detector. Started to think more about it and did some research. The CO portion of the detector is supposedly what is triggered by any hydrogen. So it should beep according to the literature (4 beeps, 5 seconds off), but it was a constant beep indicative of propane. Smelled a tiny bit of propane near the stock Atwood DV20 cook top. It seemed to be coming from the small integral regulator. Shortly thereafter I replaced the stove with the Dickinson cook top (no regulator at the stove) and haven't had a problem since. Strange.
Attached Thumbnails
alarm matrix.JPG  
Old 04-17-2017, 12:13 PM   #51

Quote:
Had a similar problem that started just after replacing the MTI combination propane/CO detector and then relocating Interstate 6V's inside to accommodate the mini-split condenser on the tongue. Detector would go off randomly and usually during the night. I suspect probably due to less fresh air with windows closed and no general movement in and out of the trailer like during the day. Batteries are in a vented box under the front dinette seat and pretty far from the detector. Started to think more about it and did some research. The CO portion of the detector is supposedly what is triggered by any hydrogen. So it should beep according to the literature (4 beeps, 5 seconds off), but it was a constant beep indicative of propane. Smelled a tiny bit of propane near the stock Atwood DV20 cook top. It seemed to be coming from the small integral regulator. Shortly thereafter I replaced the stove with the Dickinson cook top (no regulator at the stove) and haven't had a problem since. Strange.
Mine was a propane only alarm labeled Saf-T-Alert (maybe MTI?). There is a separate CO alarm in a different location. It would go off even when the propane tank valves were off, and any residual propane in the lines had been burned off. The manufacturer swapped it out under warranty, but the replacement did the same thing. They told me hydrogen could set it off. Also, a dog laying up against it could also set it off.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:20 PM   #52

Quote:
Mine was a propane only alarm labeled Saf-T-Alert (maybe MTI?). There is a separate CO alarm in a different location. It would go off even when the propane tank valves were off, and any residual propane in the lines had been burned off. The manufacturer swapped it out under warranty, but the replacement did the same thing. They told me hydrogen could set it off. Also, a dog laying up against it could also set it off.
Yes, MTI Industries makes the Safe-T-Alert series of alarms. They make CO, propane and combination alarms. So just so I'm clear it was actually your propane alarm going off, not the CO alarm?
Old 04-17-2017, 01:40 PM   #53

Quote:
Yes, MTI Industries makes the Safe-T-Alert series of alarms. They make CO, propane and combination alarms. So just so I'm clear it was actually your propane alarm going off, not the CO alarm?
Yes. The two are at opposite ends of the trailer. The CO alarm has never gone off. The CO alarm is adjacent to the sleeping loft, the propane to the dinette. People in the RV industry tell me to avoid the combo alarms. I have also read that they are more problematic than individual alarms. I should also note that there are several individuals on the forum that have had the same experience with their propane alarms.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:38 PM   #54

Trailer: 17
I guess Los Angeles OP is stuck in traffic or in camping bliss.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:20 AM   #55

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
It looks like we are in the minority. My wife and I like the low fan AC noise and breeze in our Casita at night. I also like the slight vibration while falling asleep. It must remind me of my Navy days aboard the submarine.

One of our concerns with going to the Escape 21 is the distance from the bed to the AC reduces the noise and breeze at night.