21 dinette bed weight capacity - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2018, 02:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
21 dinette bed weight capacity

We have a new 21 and just spent our first night out last weekend. We have the u-dinette and are using it as a bed for our 2yo son.
When I have the table down to make the bed, it has quite a bit of give and will creak with weight. I worry about having a adult sit down towards the center to get into the bed and breaking the table. Has anyone experienced issues with this or know the load capacity? I am tempted to add some reinforcement preventativly because it would be a pain if the table broke.
sailor231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:52 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The table should be resting on the wooden support bars that run along the dinette sides and support the table along each side.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
mine feels very solid when down. three adults sat on it to watch a movie last trip no issues.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor231 View Post
We have a new 21 and just spent our first night out last weekend. We have the u-dinette and are using it as a bed for our 2yo son.
When I have the table down to make the bed, it has quite a bit of give and will creak with weight. I worry about having a adult sit down towards the center to get into the bed and breaking the table. Has anyone experienced issues with this or know the load capacity? I am tempted to add some reinforcement preventativly because it would be a pain if the table broke.
Sight down the edges of the table, maybe it’s warped? It should lay flat on the support rails. Mine sits flat and doesn’t make any noise. Also just for kicks, make sure the support rails are solid and have not some how loosened. Although I don’ see how. Mine are mounted solid, but anything is possible.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
I had the same issue with the bed in a Casita. I could hear cracking noises when I sat on the edge - not good. I cut a piece of baltic birch plywood to fit and used it when I wanted to make up the bed. Baltic birch plywood is plenty tough and I never had to worry again.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:29 PM   #6

It sits on the wooden bars just fine, but it flexes if you sit in the center of the front edge where it is not supported. It is hard to get into our out of the bed without sitting in that area so avoiding it isn't really feasible.
I have been placing it with chamfered corners facing forward not sure if that matters or not. I would prefer not to carry an extra board around so maybe I will look into adding a 2x2 frame or removing the mount hardware and laminating an extra 1/2" thick piece of ply to the back to increase stiffness.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:57 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
It sits on the wooden bars just fine, but it flexes if you sit in the center of the front edge where it is not supported. It is hard to get into our out of the bed without sitting in that area so avoiding it isn't really feasible.
I have been placing it with chamfered corners facing forward not sure if that matters or not. I would prefer not to carry an extra board around so maybe I will look into adding a 2x2 frame or removing the mount hardware and laminating an extra 1/2" thick piece of ply to the back to increase stiffness.
I’ve used the bed set up in our 5.0 with no problems. Between me, the wife, dog sitting on it, about 420 or so lbs. I set the board with chamfered edges facing in . Think you’ll find it a bit more ridged that way.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:29 AM   #8

I will test it flipped around as a first step.