21' Exterior access hatch questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Bend, Oregon
Trailer: 21' Escape Trailer (June 2018)
Posts: 54
21' Exterior access hatch questions

I have two questions concerning the option of the exterior access hatch on a new 21' Escape:

1) Is this a useful addition?

2) Is one side (rear driver side or rear passenger side) superior?

thanks
Bob in Bend
__________________

Bob in Bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:06 PM   #2
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 14,886
The stock is driver side, front, under the bed. Anything else is optional and if you study the layout, between batteries and converter and other components, your locations are limited.
__________________

__________________
Jim
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why………..Mark Twain
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:16 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Bend, Oregon
Trailer: 21' Escape Trailer (June 2018)
Posts: 54
Are the dual 6 volt batteries not located in the storage box on the 21'?
Bob in Bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:21 PM   #4
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 14,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Bend View Post
Are the dual 6 volt batteries not located in the storage box on the 21'?
No, they are located inside, on the curb side under the dinette. The converter is on the opposite side where the power and water hook ups are. So your dinette space is limited.
__________________
Jim
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why………..Mark Twain
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:28 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Posts: 2,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Bend View Post
Are the dual 6 volt batteries not located in the storage box on the 21'?
No, in back. If you get the "U" shaped dinette , the battery case is in the passenger side of the added rear bench seat. Not sure, but I believe the batteries are under the passenger rear bench seat when you get the standard dinette.

I did add an external hatch to the rear passenger side, but have the "U" shaped dinette, so the only thing that takes up space in the area under the passenger side sheet is the inverter.
__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2016 Tacoma, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:39 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Murrieta, California
Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 on order
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Bend View Post
I have two questions concerning the option of the exterior access hatch on a new 21' Escape:

1) Is this a useful addition?

2) Is one side (rear driver side or rear passenger side) superior?

thanks
Bob in Bend
Hi Bob, I don't speak from experience as I don't yet have my Escape 21 so take my opinion far more lightly than that of a current Escape owner. We have added two additional rear exterior hatches to our build sheet on our 21. We will have the U-Shaped dinette which would seem to make rear access hatches more useful. If we were getting the standard dinette we probably would have just stuck with the standard front hatch. Our thought is the more access we have to our storage the better. We realize the storage area and access is somewhat limited. However, we have plenty of items that we would like to be able to get to from the outside that are not large items (extension cords, etc.) Before making our decision I read several posts from 21 owners that were happy they got the additional hatches. I don't remember seeing any post from owners who regretting getting the additional hatches.
__________________
Matt & Mary (and Scrappy the Wonder Dog)
matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:17 PM   #7
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 14,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
Hi Bob, I don't speak from experience as I don't yet have my Escape 21 so take my opinion far more lightly than that of a current Escape owner. We have added two additional rear exterior hatches to our build sheet on our 21. We will have the U-Shaped dinette which would seem to make rear access hatches more useful. If we were getting the standard dinette we probably would have just stuck with the standard front hatch. Our thought is the more access we have to our storage the better. We realize the storage area and access is somewhat limited. However, we have plenty of items that we would like to be able to get to from the outside that are not large items (extension cords, etc.) Before making our decision I read several posts from 21 owners that were happy they got the additional hatches. I don't remember seeing any post from owners who regretting getting the additional hatches.
Be sure and communicate your wishes with ETI, I requested that nothing be installed in the rear of the "U" area, otherwise they were going to install the converter in the rear. So I had a fairly large rear storage in my 21. You may want to rearrange the needed components and communicate your desires with ETI.
__________________
Jim
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why………..Mark Twain
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:20 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Bend, Oregon
Trailer: 21' Escape Trailer (June 2018)
Posts: 54
We are getting the standard dinette. With this in mind, how could we best utilize an additional exterior hatch on the rear driver side?
Bob in Bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Steve Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Fremont, California
Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Posts: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Bend View Post
We are getting the standard dinette. With this in mind, how could we best utilize an additional exterior hatch on the rear driver side?
Bob, we have the drivers side rear hatch and find it very useful. Since your 30 Amp service, water, and cable are all on this side of the trailer, we keep our White Hose, 30 Amp Cord, and Television Cable in this hatch. Makes for very convenient hookups. We did not get the outside hatch on the passenger side, and therefore have only access from inside bench seat. We don’t access it often and tend to store supplies such as extra TP, paper towels, and water filters in this area.
__________________
Steve and Debbie
2016 - 21' SSSScape
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:32 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Notasulga, Alabama
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L 4x4
Posts: 1,428
We have a 2017 21' and ordered the optional driver side rear hatch instead of a utility box on the tongue. The hatch gives us outside access to the 12V DC water pump, the winterizing T-valve and major electrical components. It also gives us storage space for wheel chocks, stabilizer pads, power cords and adaptors, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09359.jpg (132.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09357.jpg (150.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09355.jpg (168.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09479.jpg (151.8 KB, 39 views)
__________________

War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.