2nd Gen Dometic Frig situation - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2017, 12:00 AM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
2nd Gen Dometic Frig situation

So, I went to the link that I had bookmarked for the thread about the fuse situation on the frig. However, I can't find all of the information that was originally on there. Just a post from the ETI office about contacting Dometic.

Is that all there is? What happened to all that information? And all the posts by others in that thread? Or am I thinking about another thread? If so, I could NOT find it.

If it was removed, it never occurred to me to print it out as I never dreamed it would be removed by the moderators and/or list owner. That information was quite valuable, to say the least. What justification could there be for removing it? (Ignore this paragraph if it was another thread and someone has posted the link to it.)

I'm concerned about our frig as it's been plugged in for hours and the frig part has not cooled off one iota. The freezer is quite cold. I moved the frozen gel packs to the frig to see if that will help.

I had bookmarked that thread, as well as sending the link to Dirk so he would have the information as well. It would be nice to know how to do that temporary fix if the frig truly isn't working.

If any of you have that temporary fix information, I would GREATLY appreciate it being sent directly to me via email at laurap@UnderKittySupervision.com.

I just might need to fix it tomorrow.

I'm also wondering for those that had to make the temporary fix because your frig stopped working - was it just the frig part or was the freezer also not working?

Thanks much!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:17 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
So, I went to the link that I had bookmarked for the thread about the fuse situation on the frig. However, I can't find all of the information that was originally on there. Just a post from the ETI office about contacting Dometic.

Is that all there is? What happened to all that information? And all the posts by others in that thread? Or am I thinking about another thread? If so, I could NOT find it.

If it was removed, it never occurred to me to print it out as I never dreamed it would be removed by the moderators and/or list owner. That information was quite valuable, to say the least. What justification could there be for removing it? (Ignore this paragraph if it was another thread and someone has posted the link to it.)

I'm concerned about our frig as it's been plugged in for hours and the frig part has not cooled off one iota. The freezer is quite cold. I moved the frozen gel packs to the frig to see if that will help.

I had bookmarked that thread, as well as sending the link to Dirk so he would have the information as well. It would be nice to know how to do that temporary fix if the frig truly isn't working.

If any of you have that temporary fix information, I would GREATLY appreciate it being sent directly to me via email at laurap@UnderKittySupervision.com.

I just might need to fix it tomorrow.

I'm also wondering for those that had to make the temporary fix because your frig stopped working - was it just the frig part or was the freezer also not working?

Thanks much!
Laura good that you put the gel packs in frig. It will cool better with items in it . Hey just in case bring a cooler Ok ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:19 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Laura:
The fusible link would drop out the operation of the entire cooling system as I understand it. Also it is not to hard to imagine the thread was altered. When I saw the picture of wiring and a description on how to bypass the link I was like oh geez. While some owners may be capable enough to execute it and the temporary fix may have "worked" it may not be very safe. It puts Escape in an awkward spot if something happens. Contacting the appliance manufacturer might not be convenient, but it is the best course of action.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:26 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Laura good that you put the gel packs in frig. It will cool better with items in it . Hey just in case bring a cooler Ok ? Pat
Laura it was removed . I checked probably what Dave is saying is the reasoning . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:21 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

The thread was edited as requested by Tammy. An administrator took care of it, neither Jim nor myself. Tammy didn't want people to get confused or try to jerry-rig a solution but to contact Dometic directly.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:59 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Laura, Don't forget that there is also a little black cylindrical "reset" button situated between the two red wires attached to a brown cylindrical device (I hope that made some sense). Look at it, and you'll see what I mean. But again, I believe that deals with both the freezer and fridge. When I monitored the cooling speed of our two-compartment Dometic, the fridge lagged considerably behind the freezer.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:32 PM   #7

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Thanks folks.

Huge knock on wood, the frig is working just fine. It took way longer than it has in the past for it to start cooling down, so I got super concerned after reading that other thread last week or so.

Yep, that's me. Worrywart and all that.

Do need to invest in a good, decent cooler somewhere down the road. Probably sooner, rather than later.

One quick question. Does the frig fan turn on as soon as you plug into shore power, even if the frig isn't turned on? I plugged into the house and went into the trailer. Yep, power is coming through. But there's this noisy fan running. However, I hadn't turned on the frig yet. It ran for an awful long time - I went to bed before it stopped. It's stopped now. Least the super noisy part.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:57 PM   #8

Quote:
...Does the frig fan turn on as soon as you plug into shore power, even if the frig isn't turned on? I plugged into the house and went into the trailer. Yep, power is coming through. But there's this noisy fan running. However, I hadn't turned on the frig yet. It ran for an awful long time - I went to bed before it stopped. It's stopped now. Least the super noisy part.
Laura, Next time you hear that "super noisy" fan, pull the outside fridge cover off, look for the "Refrigerator Ventilator Fan Switch" kill switch, and turn it "OFF" to see if the noise stops. That fan is normally thermostatically controlled and pushes heat out from behind your fridge to help keep that heat from getting into the cabin during hot weather. Remember to turn the kill switch back on if you want it to operate thermostatically!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC09532.jpg  
Old 07-21-2017, 01:33 PM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Might be the converter fan, if the battery is down any the fan will run as soon as it's plugged into shore power.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
That would be a good mod to bring that switch into the cabin.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:45 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Propane vs AC fridge power

Quick question - I noticed our new fridge gets maybe 5-6 degrees cooler on propane than it does on AC. Anyone else have this problem? It's the RMD (I think) which was replaced under the Dometic change-out program ETI arranged. I did install the freezer door foam plug, but the difference is still there too.

Cools pretty well, just not enough to keep wifey's fudge bars solidly frozen (usually 15-19 degrees in the freezer.)

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:48 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I just came in from the trailer after checking the fridge. I was going to shut it off, but now checking further.
I had it on electric at 4 for a couple days. Temp inside fridge is 50F / outside under 70F.
Had the fridge serviced recently and it works just fine on propane, but warms up on electric. So, I'm no help, but paying attention.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:51 PM   #13

Charley, Do you have one of the thermostats with a memory? My RMD seems to be a decent size temp swing. If I clear the thermostats memory and leave it run for a day I can see a 5 or so degree temp variation, maybe even more. Who knows what it'll read at any specific point. I've seen the freezer register from 0 to the mid teens.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:10 PM   #14

Tom (tdf-texas) steered us to these. They work great!
https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-00986.../dp/B004QJVU78
Old 07-21-2017, 05:19 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
We have used the AcuRite thermometer system that War Eagle referenced and it seems to be working well. Only used it for 4 short trips so far. So far, so good.
mcdonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Tom (tdf-texas) steered us to these. They work great!
https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-00986.../dp/B004QJVU78

Same as I have.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:40 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Charley, Do you have one of the thermostats with a memory? My RMD seems to be a decent size temp swing. If I clear the thermostats memory and leave it run for a day I can see a 5 or so degree temp variation, maybe even more. Who knows what it'll read at any specific point. I've seen the freezer register from 0 to the mid teens.
I've got the Accurite dual readout many favor; yup I clear the memory each morning of my testing. On propane I can get the freezer down to 7, on electric it runs about 17.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote