30 Amp Home Supply challenges. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2017, 07:39 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
30 Amp Home Supply challenges.

Just realized that our new 17B trailer due at the end of the month will require a 30 Amp power supply to plug in to at home and we don't have one. Adding one would require a fair degree of effort, because it means adding a new circuit to the main electrical panel, adding a receptacle to the outside wall of the house, as well as a 50 foot run of the appropriate gauge cable extension cord as the only convenient external wall to the electric panel is nowhere near where the trailer will be stored.

Thinking about the power draw of the systems that the trailer uses, the only two high power users would be the water heater and the AC. As our trailer does't have AC and we wouldn't be using the trailer's water heater at home, the only power being used would be to keep the batteries charged, for lighting or maybe the fridge just prior to taking off for a trip. I am thinking that maybe to avoid a huge effort to install a receptacle, I could somehow construct an electrical cord with a 30 amp female plug at one end, that plugs into the 15 Amp receptacle that I currently have where the trailer will be parked when not being used.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I recognize that this is probably not ideal, but might work as a reasonable alternative.

Thanks Much.

Chris
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:44 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
Just realized that our new 17B trailer due at the end of the month will require a 30 Amp power supply to plug in to at home and we don't have one. Adding one would require a fair degree of effort, because it means adding a new circuit to the main electrical panel, adding a receptacle to the outside wall of the house, as well as a 50 foot run of the appropriate gauge cable extension cord as the only convenient external wall to the electric panel is nowhere near where the trailer will be stored.

Thinking about the power draw of the systems that the trailer uses, the only two high power users would be the water heater and the AC. As our trailer does't have AC and we wouldn't be using the trailer's water heater at home, the only power being used would be to keep the batteries charged, for lighting or maybe the fridge just prior to taking off for a trip. I am thinking that maybe to avoid a huge effort to install a receptacle, I could somehow construct an electrical cord with a 30 amp female plug at one end, that plugs into the 15 Amp receptacle that I currently have where the trailer will be parked when not being used.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I recognize that this is probably not ideal, but might work as a reasonable alternative.

Thanks Much.

Chris
Hi Chris, they sell just what you're looking for at Walmart or Camping World. Also available on Amazon.

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:45 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You do not need 30 amp, I'm using a 15 amp outdoor receptacle and have been for past 6 years. I leave the trailer plugged in 24/7. Other than the a/c there is no issue and I have used the a/c occasionally. Make sure it is a GFCI outlet with a cover, I use a 10' extension w/and adapter. like one of these https://www.amazon.com/NU-SET-dogbon...15+amp+adapter
Old 01-10-2017, 07:51 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
ETI will (or used too) supply you with a 30 to 15 amp adapter for the end of your cord. If not you can get one at Wal-Mart.

It will look something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55223-1...amp+rv+adapter
Old 01-10-2017, 07:54 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 (Serenity).
Whew - this question prompted me to check the electrical panel in the basement. I learned that we have the capacity to add a 30 A circuit in the garage, using existing lines (two conductors, 40 A per conductor).

We don't have AC in the house, but on the rare occasion when it is >35 C and we are not camping, we're likely to retreat to the trailer for its AC.
FlatlandFlyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:00 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Or pick up one of these for about $5.00 next time you're at Walmart:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Road-Powe...apter/16817350
But that leaves your camper's 30 amp cord exposed to the elements when in use.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:17 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16, TV Rav4 V6
I use a 30amp ext. cord with adapter for 20amp plug. You can buy the 30 amp cord from Walmart or Amazon for $30- $50 bucks. Then i take it with me when camping, just incase. Carl
civi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:32 AM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Or pick up one of these for about $5.00 next time you're at Walmart:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Road-Powe...apter/16817350
But that leaves your camper's 30 amp cord exposed to the elements when in use.
Unless I'm missing something that is the wrong adapter. You need 30 amp female (to accept the trailer plug) to 15 amp male to plug into the extension cord end like the one Kountrycamper linked above.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:37 AM   #9

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
ETI will (or used too) supply you with a 30 to 15 amp adapter for the end of your cord.
I got one when I picked up our trailer on Black Friday. It's in use right now.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You do not need 30 amp, I'm using a 15 amp outdoor receptacle and have been for past 6 years. I leave the trailer plugged in 24/7. Other than the a/c there is no issue and I have used the a/c occasionally. Make sure it is a GFCI outlet with a cover, I use a 10' extension w/and adapter. like one of these https://www.amazon.com/NU-SET-dogbon...15+amp+adapter
Please make sure the outlet is GFCI as Jim indicated above. Be sure to test it! The electric water heater element burned out and failed hot-to-ground on our trailer which electrified the frame. Coupled with a damaged ground prong on an extension cord and plugged into a regular outlet the trailer was allowed to operate and my father became the ground path and was shocked on the stabilizer. As soon as the trailer was plugged into a GFCI outlet it would trip which is exactly the protection it is supposed to afford and tells you that something is wrong. Anyone that says it is normal for a trailer to trip a GFCI outlet is not correct. I think the water heater element failing as it did is a strange exception but weird stuff can happen with electricity nonetheless.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:46 AM   #11

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Unless I'm missing something that is the wrong adapter. You need 30 amp female (to accept the trailer plug) to 15 amp male to plug into the extension cord end like the one Kountrycamper linked above.
You are correct. I clicked on the wrong image. This one should be the correct one. On sale for $2.79.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Road-Powe...Y1cV4hiHoceqBY
We're all talking about the same thing....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:49 AM   #12

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
ETI will (or used too) supply you with a 30 to 15 amp adapter for the end of your cord. If not you can get one at Wal-Mart.

It will look something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55223-1...amp+rv+adapter
That's right, Tom. Ours came Standard from ETI in April '16.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
You are correct. I clicked on the wrong image. This one should be the correct one. On sale for $2.79.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Road-Powe...Y1cV4hiHoceqBY
Thanks for clarifying. Didn't want Chris blindly ordering from your first link and standing there excited to plug in only to find he had the wrong adapter. If ETI is supplying these adapters now with a new trailer then it sounds like he doesn't need to worry.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:19 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
If ETI is supplying these adapters now with a new trailer then it sounds like he doesn't need to worry.
Not certain, but I think it is just when you get a starter kit. At least that was the case in 2009.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:29 AM   #15

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Is there a one-piece cord that goes from 30 amps to 15? I used an adapter but had it near the trailer and exposed to the elements, so it might be better to get a 30 Amp cord and then put the adapter at the inside end (in the garage or a covered outdoor receptacle.) I hadn't thought of that before but it makes sense.

I guess this is what I need but with a longer cord.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:21 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
If you have the removable power cord option, you can purchase a Marinco twist lock to 15 amp adapter, or, make your own for less. I carry one I made as a way to keep a spare Marinco twist lock connector (sometimes hard to find on the road) as well as a way to use a standard extension cord when plugged into a 15 amp receptacle. If you make your own, the cord can be as long as you wish - I'd use at least a #12 cable.
Attached Thumbnails
ASG_6494.jpg  
Old 01-10-2017, 12:04 PM   #17

Thank you to all that responded, I knew that it wouldn't take long to get an answer. Some of you guys must live on the forum 24/7!

We in Canada can't always shop on Amazon or Walmart US websites, however, a quick search on Amazon.ca revealed a similar product can be had cheaply. However, I will e-mail ETI to see whether anything is included on delivery or with the starter kit.

PS, it seems that any question always generates useful comments for others too, so no question appears to be a dumb question!

Chris Young
Old 01-10-2017, 12:09 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
North Shore RV is just down the hill from you, and so is Walmart. No guarantee Walmart will have the adapter, but NSRV will.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 10.06.57 AM.png  
Old 01-10-2017, 12:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
North Shore RV is just down the hill from you, and so is Walmart. No guarantee Walmart will have the adapter, but NSRV will.
Thanks, I keep on forgetting as I was aware of them from previous days of towing a tent trailer. As to Walmart, I wouldn't really expect them to carry anything in the way of RV supplies, Canadian Tire might almost be a better option.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:18 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Walmart does have a small section of RV stuff in the Automotive area.