3M paint protectant film - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2018, 12:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 2006 17' Casita SD sold 2018
3M paint protectant film

Anyone using 3M paint protectant on the front of their 5.0TA? Looking for a way to keep from chipping our new Escape. Any pros or cons would be helpful.
Kare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kare View Post
Anyone using 3M paint protectant on the front of their 5.0TA? Looking for a way to keep from chipping our new Escape. Any pros or cons would be helpful.
Should really help . When we purchased our new Subaru, they had installed near the bottom rear the 3 m tape to help with dirt and debris destroying the body and paint . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 E19'
One of the first things we did when we got the trailer was to jack it up, pull the wheels, and apply the clear 3M film to the insides of all 4 wheel wells - inside of each arch all the way from front to back - as well as the part of the trailer behind the wheel wells that would be in the line of fire for rocks being thrown up. After 2-1/2 years and 8,500 miles we have had no issues with peeling or discoloration or anything. We used the isopropyl and water mix and the special squeegee. You might want to look at a few how-to videos on YouTube.

Since we did it right after we picked up the trailer, I made sure that there would be no issues with using the isopropyl on the fresh gel coat.

Per ETI: "There is no problem with using isopropyl on your gel coat, so go ahead with the rock guard protectant."
Old 05-02-2018, 03:10 PM   #4

Never thought of doing the wells. Found 3M at amazon in one foot and two foot wide. What did you use? Did you put it on front of trailer?
Thanks
Kare
Old 05-02-2018, 04:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 E19'
Quote:
Never thought of doing the wells. Found 3M at amazon in one foot and two foot wide. What did you use? Did you put it on front of trailer?
Thanks
Kare
I used some 6" wide that was available at that time, but it's just about the width of the tire treads so it just barely provides enough side-to-side coverage. If rocks or whatever deflect to the side a little then the unprotected gel coat would get hit. I was hoping to find some that was 9" or 10" wide, but was in a hurry before our first trip so just applied the 6" wide material and hit the road. I'm planning to get some wider material and apply it over the top of the 6" that's already on there, giving it double thickness for the tire tread area and single thickness to the sides.

I have a box on the tongue with maximum coverage mud/stone flaps that hang down below and stick out to the sides that protects the front, so didn't need to apply it there. I think that the film would work well on the front of the trailer if there is no storage box there - better than the vinyl snap-on protectors that come with the trailer. With a 5.0TA you should be able to cover as much of the front as you want.

If you do it, use special squeegee. It has just the right stiffness for good pressure and chasing out the bubbles.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-02-2018, 04:53 PM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You can find installers via 3m's site if you don't want to try it yourself.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Forum members talked about protecting wheel wells by spraying them with the stuff used on truck beds, back in 2009. I said I'd wait until I had chips and then cover them with the spray.
I saw no need to spray the wheel wells then, and I have no need to do it now.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:15 PM   #8

Thanks to all for responding. All great ideas.
Kare
Old 05-02-2018, 10:17 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
You might want to check out XPEL Ultimate Plus paint protection film. I had it applied to my brand new truck prior to taking delivery. It covers the entire front end like a cap extending back over the hood and down the sides of the front end.

I will have it applied to the front end of my 5.0TA when I get it home.

Very happy with the install and product. Here is link to product website if you want to read up on it.

XPEL ULTIMATE PLUS - XPEL Technologies Corporation
Attached Thumbnails
2018 GMC Canyon Frt End.jpg  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:15 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
3M Protective Film Elastomeric Tape

Just an info bit: The original protective film tapes from 3M were developed to protect the leading edges of helicopter blades from damage during deployment in Viet Nam. Very tough stuff, although back then clarity for appearance sake was not important. I was able to use their toughness as a basis for a two US patents!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:13 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Yep, I had it put on right after I got my trailer home. I had them do from the frame out to the sides, and under the propane hatch. Have to look close to see it is there, and it has definitely saved a bunch of chips already. In another few years I may redo it if it becomes too ratty.

I had thought about the wheel wells, but you really can't see them and they never got too bad on my first Escape. Saved some money, and will just do a quick gelcoat repair in 10 years if needed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
You might want to check out XPEL Ultimate Plus paint protection film. I had it applied to my brand new truck prior to taking delivery. It covers the entire front end like a cap extending back over the hood and down the sides of the front end.

I will have it applied to the front end of my 5.0TA when I get it home.

Very happy with the install and product. Here is link to product website if you want to read up on it.

XPEL ULTIMATE PLUS - XPEL Technologies Corporation
Hi Kent, any plans for protection on return trip to MT? We have a 3000 mile trip back to Illinois after pickup. I have extended my weather techs to within 2" of ground clearance. Looked at Rocktamers but wasn't sure that it would clear corners of 5.0 TA on sharp corner turns. Reviews are good and bad. Was thinking of installing film from Amazon right after pickup till we get back. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 05-03-2018, 08:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Yep, I had it put on right after I got my trailer home. I had them do from the frame out to the sides, and under the propane hatch. Have to look close to see it is there, and it has definitely saved a bunch of chips already. In another few years I may redo it if it becomes too ratty.

I had thought about the wheel wells, but you really can't see them and they never got too bad on my first Escape. Saved some money, and will just do a quick gelcoat repair in 10 years if needed.
Thanks Jim and Tractor for the info. All information is always welcome.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

Hi Jim, do you know what the measurement is from frame to edge of 5.0 TA and height to bottom of loft. Was thinking of putting something on myself at Sumas to get me back to Illinois. Any information much appreciated.
Thanks
Old 05-03-2018, 10:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Hi Jim, do you know what the measurement is from frame to edge of 5.0 TA and height to bottom of loft. Was thinking of putting something on myself at Sumas to get me back to Illinois. Any information much appreciated.
Thanks
Not certain but could measure tonight. I went just around the edge and only up 18-24".

Do you have a heat gun? You will definitely need one for the corners to get the material to confirm to all the curves. This is why I had the pros do it after I got home. Cost me less than $200 CAD.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-03-2018, 10:52 AM   #16

Thanks Jim I will check see if I can get it installed at Chillawack
Old 05-03-2018, 11:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Thanks Jim I will check see if I can get it installed at Chillawack
I tried, and the only place I could find could not get my trailer inside, though this was in January and they could now do it outside.