4.3 frig replacement door - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2015, 01:58 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape
4.3 frig replacement door

If you are or will be one of the lucky seven that have or will receive the replacement door, you are on your own. Two small plastic strips were included with the door and I cannot determine the application. I will try to contact Dumbetic but am not optimistic.

Hello Bob,
Glad to hear that you received the fridge.
We did not open the boxes when the doors arrived from Dometic and are unsure as to what the white strips are for. I would recommend contacting Dometic and taking the fridge door into one of your local RV service centers to have the door re and re’d for you.

Please feel free to forward any questions you may have.

Tammy Harmatuik,Business Manager

Escape Trailer Industries Ltd.
43851 Industrial Way, Bldg. B
Chilliwack, BC, V2R 4L2

Tel: 604 703 1650 Toll Free: 1 855 703 1650
Fax: 604 703 1651

info@escapetrailer.com

Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 7:12 AM
To: Escape Trailer Industries
Subject: FW: Website Inquiry

Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 9:54 AM
To: 'mailto:info@escapetrailer.com'

Hello Again
We received the replacement door today. I am not sure how the two narrow white plastic strips are used or where they are installed. We do appreciate you continuing efforts to increase the efficiency of the 4.3 refrigerator.
Thank you, Bob

Is this good service or what ?
I am not optimistic that will be affix for the 4.3 frig but I am hopeful. Is ETI continuing to build trailers with the defective 4.3 cooling units. If so let the buyer beware.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
If you are or will be one of the lucky seven that have or will receive the replacement door, you are on your own. Two small plastic strips were included with the door and I cannot determine the application. I will try to contact Dumbetic but am not optimistic.

Hello Bob,
Glad to hear that you received the fridge.
We did not open the boxes when the doors arrived from Dometic and are unsure as to what the white strips are for. I would recommend contacting Dometic and taking the fridge door into one of your local RV service centers to have the door re and re’d for you.

Please feel free to forward any questions you may have.

Tammy Harmatuik,Business Manager

Escape Trailer Industries Ltd.
43851 Industrial Way, Bldg. B
Chilliwack, BC, V2R 4L2

Tel: 604 703 1650 Toll Free: 1 855 703 1650
Fax: 604 703 1651

info@escapetrailer.com

Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 7:12 AM
To: Escape Trailer Industries

Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 9:54 AM
To: 'mailto:info@escapetrailer.com'

Hello Again
We received the replacement door today. I am not sure how the two narrow white plastic strips are used or where they are installed. We do appreciate you continuing efforts to increase the efficiency of the 4.3 refrigerator.
Thank you, Bob

Is this good service or what ?
I am not optimistic that will be affix for the 4.3 frig but I am hopeful. Is ETI continuing to build trailers with the defective 4.3 cooling units. If so let the buyer beware.
Ours is supposed to be here today . When someone finds out what those white pieces are for please share . Pat and Linda
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
If we could see pictures of these strips maybe we could take a few wild guesses?
Old 04-07-2015, 03:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
If we could see pictures of these strips maybe we could take a few wild guesses?
Still waiting for door to be delivered . Pat
Old 04-07-2015, 03:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Good idea Myron.
The plastic strips are 2 3/8" long, 1/8" wide and 1/16" thick.
Only wild guesses are acceptable.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0954.jpg  
Old 04-07-2015, 03:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:
Quite frankly, you'd be on your own if you had had to contact Dometic yourself and arrange for the door to be shipped instead of Reace at ETI going out of his way and doing his best to come up with a solution on your behalf. ETI installs the fridge it doesn't manufacture them.

I had a problem on my Classic 5.0's 5 cubic foot fridge overcooling (the fridge going down to minus 12C); I took it back to ETI and Reace repaired it at no charge to me ........ something he did not have to do as the fridge is guaranteed by Dometic not ETI.

I've never felt on my own dealing with anyone at ETI.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Ok, here is my guess: It appears that Dometic was confident that the fridge will result in at least the freezer portion of the fridge working. The two plastic strips appear to be "swizzle sticks", normally used for mixing the ice (from your fridge) and liquids in an alcoholic beverage prior to consuming it.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I don't have our trailer yet but in doing a lot of mechanical work sometimes shims are provided to adjust a door. I have no idea how the hinge or latch situation is in this case so this is just a very long shot. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Good idea Myron.
The plastic strips are 2 3/8" long, 1/8" wide and 1/16" thick.
Only wild guesses are acceptable.
Just got my door . Everyone look at page 22 in your Refrig manual pic # 1 . I think that is it.for those little strips Also did any one notice all the holes like at the bottom and the latch area we will if you chose need to close off . Pat
Old 04-07-2015, 04:17 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
I agree with Loren, they are they exact dimension of they shims we used in glazing.

Cheers
Doug
Old 04-07-2015, 04:18 PM   #11

Can someone tell me how I can manual turn at least the 1 fan I can see on when you open outside vent . . It never seems to come on and it does get hot back there where the tubing is sorry if wrong name .
Old 04-07-2015, 04:23 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Can someone tell me how I can manual turn at least the 1 fan I can see on when you open outside vent . . It never seems to come on and it does get hot back there where the tubing is sorry if wrong name .
There should be a temperature switch mounted on the rear coils, if you remove the 2 wires from it and connect a regular switch to the wires it should work for you.

Cheers
Doug
Old 04-07-2015, 04:28 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Ok, here is my guess: It appears that Dometic was confident that the fridge will result in at least the freezer portion of the fridge working. The two plastic strips appear to be "swizzle sticks", normally used for mixing the ice (from your fridge) and liquids in an alcoholic beverage prior to consuming it.
Stir sticks was the first thing that came to my mind too.

So, with this bit of rationalisation from two great minds, it must be true.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:35 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Just finished installing our new door. Very easy swap out. I did not use the shims. I like the swizzle stick idea!! New door appears to have different insulation inside, may be more rigid and seems to close better because of being more rigid. Maybe wishful thinking too...

You do need to tape up the holes on the bottom same as old door. I also taped up the crack for the latch same as old door so it will not condensate at latch area when exhaust fan is on.

Now if it would just warm up so we could go camping.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 04-07-2015, 04:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I installed a switch in parallel with the temp sensor and mounted the switch inside when I had the fridge removed so I can control the fan from inside.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 04-07-2015, 05:26 PM   #16

Here is a picture of the temperture switch when the fridge was removed.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 04-07-2015, 05:28 PM   #17

And another
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 04-07-2015, 05:45 PM   #18

Tom
Thank you for the information. I probably will not remove the frig unless there is hope of a positive outcome. The bypass switch has proven ineffective for those that have tried it.
If you have positive results please post them.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:47 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Did not think they were swizzle sticks; note other places they could work as shims. Looked more like Dept. of Research and Developments' answer to the rolling straw.
Attached Thumbnails
shims.jpg  
Old 04-07-2015, 06:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
Quite frankly, you'd be on your own if you had had to contact Dometic yourself and arrange for the door to be shipped instead of Reace at ETI going out of his way and doing his best to come up with a solution on your behalf. ETI installs the fridge it doesn't manufacture them.

I had a problem on my Classic 5.0's 5 cubic foot fridge overcooling (the fridge going down to minus 12C); I took it back to ETI and Reace repaired it at no charge to me ........ something he did not have to do as the fridge is guaranteed by Dometic not ETI.

I've never felt on my own dealing with anyone at ETI.

Congratulations ! It is always rewarding to hear of a positive outcome. I have yet to experience it concerning the expensive RM8551 frig. We did not place our confidence in the right place and lost a bit of food and expensive meds that needed to be kept refrigerated. Now starting on the third season without reliable refrigeration.