5.0 landing gear manual operation - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-11-2015, 08:19 PM   #11
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 6,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Donna, how do your two parts fit together? The problem for Bob is that the end of what he was given is just a plain round shaft, so even if there were another part there would be no apparent way to turn the part he has with it.
I have no idea how it's put together and Ten Forward isn't at home. But the picture Bob posted definitely shows two different pieces based on the color. So my comment is the fact the handle portion may fit two different use tools.
__________________

__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:46 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Delta, British Columbia
Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I have no idea how it's put together and Ten Forward isn't at home. But the picture Bob posted definitely shows two different pieces based on the color. So my comment is the fact the handle portion may fit two different use tools.
The adapter for our 5.0TA is identical to Bob's. The two different coloured pieces are permanently bonded together. Some sort of clamping device (like a drill chuck) will have to be used. I don't think I will try a pair of vice grips. If Reace tells me that a drill is what is intended than I will weld a 13/16" nut to the shaft as has already been suggested. I don't want to pack a rechargeable drill. If the stabilizer jack crank isn't strong enough I'll make a more heavy duty one. If I am in a situation where I need to raise the front of the trailer I will use my hydraulic jack to assist.

Mark
__________________

GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:04 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerriJ View Post
The adapter for our 5.0TA is identical to Bob's. The two different coloured pieces are permanently bonded together. Some sort of clamping device (like a drill chuck) will have to be used. I don't think I will try a pair of vice grips. If Reace tells me that a drill is what is intended than I will weld a 13/16" nut to the shaft as has already been suggested. I don't want to pack a rechargeable drill. If the stabilizer jack crank isn't strong enough I'll make a more heavy duty one. If I am in a situation where I need to raise the front of the trailer I will use my hydraulic jack to assist.

Mark
There's no need to rig up something that will work without a drill. The hand cranks with a handle are readily available online or at an RV supply store, and they're cheap -- $20 - $30 from the ones I've checked.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:22 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
t-twnbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 174
Thanks to everyone for their input, it's turned into an interesting conversation. I did look everywhere in the 5r for any additional parts, but no luck. I did send a note to ETI shortly after starting this thread and included the link. One would think that manual operation could be achieved without Having to buy a cordless drill or making a trip to fab shop to have something welded. We are going camping this weekend and I would like have the ability to manual raise the landing gear if needed. I really wish I had discovered this during orientation! Hopefully ETI will send a response tomorrow and I will post it. Thanks.
__________________
2013 GMC Sierra CC Max Tow
2011 Casita 17 SD-sold
2015 Escape 5.0TA.
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:54 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 3,828
Couldn't you use Vise-Grips if you don't get something from ETI by the weekend?
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:58 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Delta, British Columbia
Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Couldn't you use Vise-Grips if you don't get something from ETI by the weekend?
Probably, in a pinch, however vice grips aren't know for their gentle action. What sort of device came with your 5.0 TA?

Following Robert's post I found a couple of cranks on line but nothing I could get by the day after tomorrow. I don't think anything serious will come up this weekend so I will wait to talk to Reace.

Mark
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:04 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Posts: 388
Mine looks very similar to the one ETI supplies for the rear stabilizers. The one time I had to use it I found it to be awkward because it is not a straight line into the socket on the landing gear. Maybe that is why there is a different tool now?
__________________
2015 Escape 5 TA
2016 Ford F-150
captmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:13 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
escape artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Thomas not BVI., Ontario
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 5,287
Hi: All... I had to fire up the manual crank for the 5.0 landing gear twice. Once when the kill switch got tripped by accident and the second time when the battery finally died... at "Boothill" country music jamboree http://www.boothilljamboree.com. I hope I never have to do it again cause the threads on the legs are very fine and it takes a lot of cranky to adjust the trailer for loading on the truck. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
__________________
Quote Bugs Bunny..."Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it ALIVE"!!!
'10 Frontier CC. S.E. 4X4 Lng. Bed V6 '14 Escape 5.0TA
St.Thomas Ont.( Not the Virgin Islands)
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:52 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 3,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerriJ View Post
Probably, in a pinch, however vice grips aren't know for their gentle action. What sort of device came with your 5.0 TA?

Following Robert's post I found a couple of cranks on line but nothing I could get by the day after tomorrow. I don't think anything serious will come up this weekend so I will wait to talk to Reace.

Mark
Look at post #3, it's one piece. The Vise grip idea was just for the weekend.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:07 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Victoria, Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Posts: 199
Using some of the suggestions above, I have modified the end of the shaft from my trailer. I now have 3 alternatives to use as backup, cordless drill, 7/16 inch socket/wrench or the tool to lower the stabilizers which is 3/4 inch. Basically, I filed down the shaft so a 7/16 inch socket would fit on it or the cordless drill. Then I filed out the centre of a 3/4 inch nut so it can slide on to the shaft if needed. This took all of 15min to finish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_5541.jpg (81.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_5543.jpg (54.5 KB, 5 views)
__________________

__________________
Chris
https://escape440.wordpress.com
Chris R is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.