5.0 shelter - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2016, 04:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
5.0 shelter

trying to find a temp shelter to buy if i get a 5.0 TA . i don't want permanent /built structure because of permits etc. most seem to be tall enough inside but the door ways all seem to be 10 feet - doesn't seem tall enough with the extra stuff on top. Anyone ever bought one of those light weight structures your thoughts?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Not just permits to look into but bylaws for such 'structures'. I've seen a couple in my neighbourhood, but if reported to municipality, they have to be removed.

Time is running out for temporary structures in the District of North Vancouver.
Last week the municipality announced it will begin cracking down on portable car tents and other such structures, on the grounds that they violate building and zoning bylaws and create fire and safety hazards.
Al Karimabadi, the district’s manager of permits and licences, says portable structures have been an ongoing problem in North Van neighbourhoods, but notes that recently they’ve been “mushrooming out of the ground left and right.”
As a result, bylaw officers are now taking a proactive approach by targeting the structures district-wide.
Karimabadi says temporary structures break bylaws for a number of reasons, including their inability to withstand wind, snow, and earthquakes.
“A wind storm could lift one of these tents off and send it into a nearby yard or the street,” says Karimabadi. “It could injure someone or cause damage to another person’s property.”
Karimabadi says some residents use the temporary structures when repairing vehicles in the yard. But doing so often means tools and fuel are stored inside, creating a fire hazard for not only the property owner, but neighbours as well.
“They are almost always erected too close to the side lot of the property or the street,” adds Karimabadi.
Anyone with a temporary structure currently on their property is asked to remove it immediately.
Those with further questions about the district’s bylaws can call the building department at 604-990-2480 or visit www.dnv.org.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Even if you have a property where a structure like what you are talking is allowed, the wind is the major problem. I have seen more than one of these wrapped around a tree. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:45 PM   #4

That's why they are described as 'temporary'.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
So temporary structures are not allowed at all in Vancouver. Does this mean that it is breaking the law if your kids want to "camp out" overnight in a tent in your backyard?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:58 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
So temporary structures are not allowed at all in Vancouver. Does this mean that it is breaking the law if your kids want to "camp out" overnight in a tent in your backyard?
I don't think temporary structures are disallowed; after all, the examples are of structures which are left in place permanently. I think structures without permits and not following municipal requirements are not not allowed. A tent used to camp for a night isn't going to be a problem.

I agree that the choice of terminology is unfortunate, as it causes confusion.

Also, baglo's example is specifically for the District of North Vancouver, not for Vancouver itself or the greater Vancouver region.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:04 PM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
trying to find a temp shelter to buy if i get a 5.0 TA . i don't want permanent /built structure because of permits etc. most seem to be tall enough inside but the door ways all seem to be 10 feet - doesn't seem tall enough with the extra stuff on top. Anyone ever bought one of those light weight structures your thoughts?
If you're talking soft top, these folks have an assortment of heights.
Portable Garage RV Storage Building Camper Cover RV Cover
Old 08-10-2016, 05:08 PM   #8

If local rules permit, you can perch one of these structures on top of something to boost it in height, such as low perimeter walls. The question quickly comes up of just how much you want to build, and how portable or temporary you want it to be.

I bought a shelter and assembled the steel tubing, then left it up for a day before I had a chance to put the fabric cover on it. A strong wind bent the tubing. The fabric is an important part of these things.

I also noticed that the shelter that I bought was not supposed to be able to handle snow loads, so it would only be useful over the summer (which would be helpful, but a lot of work to put up and take down). Two neighbors have fabric-covered steel-framed shelters used as garages (not the same brand as mine) and have used them for many years, left up permanently.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:52 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
A permit for a covered permanent shelter for your trailer, in Thurston county at least, looks like it would set you back $26.22 per square foot of pad space - or roughly $5000 for a shelter big enough to house an Escape 5.0TA. I know it doesn't help your situation, but that to me is ridiculous - even criminal. I've no idea why the voters don't revolt against such outrageous fees. In my home city for example, the same permit is $150. Outside the city limits, the fee for a $2000 shelter is $12.50. I know I'll be accused of making this political, but the government is supposed to work for us - not the other way around.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:44 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Permits and fees

When we built the 24 X32 metal building two years ago, for the Escape there were no permits or fees collected or needed. When the next tax assessment comes around, they'll pick it up and increase my taxes some. Being involved in government for 32 + years I had input on many recreation fees and park charges. We worked for an Elected Commissioner. With the exception of one commissioner who only lasted one term, all of them realized that low fees meant happy voters. We used to deliver picnic tables to homeowners for the weekend, carry them to the back yard and pick them up on Monday for a buck a table. Citizens could supply the pipe and we'd bend it into picnic table frames in the winter for free. Split Firewood for camp ground, park stoves and ground ice rinks was free. Our frugal upbringing led us to be pretty creative. We climbed the ball diamond light poles in the fall and moved the 1000 watt bulbs to the free lighted ice rinks for the winter. Those days are gone, now they spend money like a drunken sailor and have lost the Moody's Triple A bond rating but who cares.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
WWe used to deliver picnic tables to homeowners for the weekend, carry them to the back yard and pick them up on Monday for a buck a table.
Sounds like a Commie plot to me.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:38 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Also, baglo's example is specifically for the District of North Vancouver, not for Vancouver itself or the greater Vancouver region.
Right, and the City of Vancouver is too busy closing down streets and making bike lanes to concern itself with tents.

The District has been making an "issue" of these items for years. Personally I'd rather make an issue about the huge percentage of petty bueaucrats making over 100 grand a year. OK, rant over. Oh, and I'm not supposed to park my Escape in my front driveway either. But the mayor's exc. assistant does it also so if they make an issue of it, bring it on.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:52 AM   #13

I never hear anybody complaining about bureaucrats preventing a company from building a animal carcass rendering facility next door to them. Nor do I hear them complaining about bylaws dealing with multiple vehicles owned by people in illegal suites clogging up their block. Don't hear them complaining about bureaucrats building schools or recreation centres either.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Oh, and I'm not supposed to park my Escape in my front driveway either. But the mayor's exc. assistant does it also so if they make an issue of it, bring it on.

Ron
If you read the bylaw, there has to be a complaint by a neighbour who lives within 300 meters of the offender. If you get along with your neighbours, you will be fine.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:30 AM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Always buy fundraiser fruit from the kids when they come to your door and hand out big candy bars at Halloween. Word gets around and tolerance goes up.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:07 AM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Always buy fundraiser fruit from the kids when they come to your door and hand out big candy bars at Halloween. Word gets around and tolerance goes up.
Dave
Wise words. A little extra kindness goes a long way in generating a lot of good will.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:43 AM   #17

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Dave
Maybe that's why we have yet to get egged. Those big Snickers must pay off.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Dave
Good fences make good neighbors... and bribery makes good neighbors, too.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:37 PM   #19

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i am putting it beside my house with a fence around it so only the top will be visible. I've seen them in my neighborhood out in front of houses for years. I don't like the look of them so i want it to be as unobtrusive as possible. 5 k just for the permit makes building one very expensive.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:41 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
i am putting it beside my house with a fence around it so only the top will be visible. I've seen them in my neighborhood out in front of houses for years. I don't like the look of them so i want it to be as unobtrusive as possible. 5 k just for the permit makes building one very expensive.
$5,000 for a permit?? It is only a piece of paper....