5.0 TA specific questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2016, 08:38 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
5.0 TA specific questions

Are the opening windows in the loft sliders or awning style? Is there any insulating cover provided for the escape hatch over head. What about insulation under the bed?
Can a shelf be installed between the overheads at the head of the bed? Is there storage space along the sides of the bed along the floor? Thanks for any help....
Old 01-26-2016, 09:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
My windows in the loft are awning style and I am very happy I have them rather than fixed windows. I love the fresh air - in almost any temperature. There is some insulation overhead but not the foam. I believe I read someplace eon the Forum a few days ago that they use something special for the ceiling cover. Not sure what it is but there is some insulation there. Yes, there is storage space along the sides of the bed. I store a lot of clothes and (I'm a pillow hog) pillows there. In effect, if I should roll over that far there is no 'falling out of bed' - so to speak.
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:37 AM   #3

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
Mine is a 2014 TA

I've answered within your post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Are the opening windows in the loft sliders or awning style?
Awning style
Is there any insulating cover provided for the escape hatch over head.
No
What about insulation under the bed?
Carpet on plywood (I think)- not sure if there is insulation
Can a shelf be installed between the overheads at the head of the bed?
Don't know but there is cubby hole storage on each side
Is there storage space along the sides of the bed along the floor?
Plenty of storage 'aisle' space on each side
Thanks for any help....
Are you switching to a TA?
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
I've answered within your post:

Are you switching to a TA?
The propane tanks must be getting low on the 21'!

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:53 AM   #5

I'm getting the itch and like skiman says, I do not like to refill my propane tanks....
Old 01-26-2016, 10:06 AM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Are the opening windows in the loft sliders or awning style? Is there any insulating cover provided for the escape hatch over head. What about insulation under the bed?
Can a shelf be installed between the overheads at the head of the bed? Is there storage space along the sides of the bed along the floor? Thanks for any help....
Dual pane are fixed

No cover, it's a DIY project.

Looks like just the carpet, but a couple of the build pictures make it look like the floor could be a plywood sandwich, which would leave room for some insulation. Hard to tell. See the first 2 pics below.

I asked about a shelf, Reace came up with cubbies instead. Doesn't look too hard of another DIY thing.

Go for it Jim, you have the truck already. On 2nd thought, what are you going to do with the dogs?
Attached Thumbnails
010.jpg   048.JPG   066.JPG  
Old 01-26-2016, 10:45 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Hi Jim! We are not getting the dual pane windows in the loft area because I have to have good ventilation or I feel claustrophobic. The non dual pane are awning windows to the best of my recollection - from our factory trip last fall. I remember thinking it was a good design for a rainy climate.
Jan
Old 01-26-2016, 12:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Jim, I’m glad that my wife insisted on the awning windows in the loft, they are actually a benefit for cold weather camping. We have had great success just barely cracking the loft window open with the Max fan in “ceiling fan mode” with that vent cover closed and having little to no condensation during cool, cold weather camping. (The windows are right by your face so most of the condensation goes out the small crack).

The extra room along the side of the bed provides plenty of extra storage and helps with venting condensation. I was planning on adding a layer of reflectix underneath the hypervent but so far have not found it needed, even in cold temps.

Jim B posted the most elegant solution for the escape hatch cover. Chris’s fabric covered reflectix with the rare earth magnets. That is on my spring project list. Scott
Scott, Lori and a Schnauzer named Fritz
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 02:38 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I have the dual-pane non-opening windows in the loft and have zero regrets and no condensation. Crack the large overhead vent a bit and turn on the Maxx fan to exhaust and it pulls plenty of air from the vent down into the loft. Since I sleep with the blinds down, this works for me.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I have the dual-pane non-opening windows in the loft and have zero regrets and no condensation. Crack the large overhead vent a bit and turn on the Maxx fan to exhaust and it pulls plenty of air from the vent down into the loft. Since I sleep with the blinds down, this works for me.
Hello Donna, the loft of the 5.0 TA is similar to our old Northern Lite truck camper. We had over a decade of cold, sometimes below 0 camping experience when chasing caribou on the haul road and learned what worked for us. On really cold nights we actually cover the escape hatch with an insulated cover to cut down heat loss and condensation, we also keep the max fan running on low with the max vent closed to help retain heat. Cracking the window very slightly has worked very well for us. Trailer stays warmer, not as much heat loss or condensation.

When we were building our trailer I wanted dual pane windows in loft and no exterior shower for our cool, cold weather camping trips. Lori gets what Lori wants, so we have awning windows in the loft and an exterior shower that I have to keep a close eye on when the temps drop on our spring and fall trips.
Had to work with what the better half wanted.

Now if I could get insulated windows that open in the loft everyone would win. Scott

Scott and Lori the build sheet boss
Old 01-27-2016, 04:00 AM   #11

Hey Jimbo...

Good on you... I knew this was going to happen... it was just a matter of when... like Bennett in Calgary... a 5.0TA is the way to go...

However with the winters that you have had the last couple of years, I suggest that you name your 5.0TA either "Snowbank" or "Snowdrift" instead of "Blackjack"

Regards,
Larry
Stargeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:58 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
My windows in the loft are awning style and I am very happy I have them rather than fixed windows. I love the fresh air - in almost any temperature. There is some insulation overhead but not the foam. I believe I read someplace eon the Forum a few days ago that they use something special for the ceiling cover. Not sure what it is but there is some insulation there. Yes, there is storage space along the sides of the bed. I store a lot of clothes and (I'm a pillow hog) pillows there. In effect, if I should roll over that far there is no 'falling out of bed' - so to speak.
I also have the awning opening windows and love them.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:30 AM   #13

Mike,
With your 2014 Ram, what position did Escape make the suspension, over or under and are there clearance issues, I have the Quad cab not the bigger crew cab model.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:36 AM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
What about insulation under the bed?
None.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Looks like just the carpet, but a couple of the build pictures make it look like the floor could be a plywood sandwich, which would leave room for some insulation. Hard to tell. See the first 2 pics below.
The build photos show that the sleeping platform extends rearward into the trailer interior over the storage (including propane) compartments. I think there's also a lip, but not a thick structure continuing under the mattress.

I believe that it is carpet, directly on plywood, directly on the lower fiberglass shell, which rests on the (raised portion of) the frame... with no space between the layers.

Insulation (such as foam board) could be added externally, at least between the frame rails, but it would be quite visible so some suitable surface finish would be desirable.

Internally, an insulating foam panel - presumably topped by another carpet layer - could be placed on the floor, then the mattress on top of that, at the expense of headroom.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:37 PM   #15

We have camped down into the single digits and have not noticed any frost or condensation underneath the mattress. We are using hypervent underneath the mattress and a 12 volt mattress warmer between the mattress and the gel topper. Have not really noticed any problems with cold intrusion. (The open sides by bed really help with air circulation). I do have a roll of reflectix that I planned on installing but have yet felt a need to do it.

Our previous camper had absolutely no insulation under the mattress and we use to get water underneath the mattress from the body heat hitting the cold surface, the reflectix totally fixed it. Scott

Scott, Lori and Fritz the Schnauzer
Fat bikes are FUN!
Old 01-27-2016, 01:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Mike,
With your 2014 Ram, what position did Escape make the suspension, over or under and are there clearance issues, I have the Quad cab not the bigger crew cab model.
I also have the quad cab, no clearance issues at all. The leaf springs are mounted in the upper hole, if that is what you were asking about? If I am looking at it correctly, mounting in the lower hole will raise the trailer a few inches.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-27-2016, 01:42 PM   #17

Okay, I understand that now, I thought they flipped the spring over to change the height, but it makes sense to have an adjustable mount, easy to raise or lower by removing a bolt.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Okay, I understand that now, I thought they flipped the spring over to change the height, but it makes sense to have an adjustable mount, easy to raise or lower by removing a bolt.
Yes, that's exactly how I see it.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:50 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I believe that it is carpet, directly on plywood, directly on the lower fiberglass shell, which rests on the (raised portion of) the frame... with no space between the layers.
There has to be air space between the loft floor and the bottom of the loft fiberglass. The bottom of the nose is not flat. Looking at this picture of Alf's 5er, I'm betting the plywood is just a bit below the belly band. I basing that on what I remember where the bottom of the window was to the floor in Ten Forward.
Attached Thumbnails
EscapeHatchIIHomewardBound.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:56 PM   #20

Of course if Alf is in the bed it may be lower than normal....