5.0TA escape hatch - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2019, 07:31 AM   #1

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
5.0TA escape hatch

Has anyone repainted the over the bed escape hatch? Mine's taken on a very ugly yellow. Wondering if it was removed to do so or painted in place somehow. Doesn't look easy either way.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:40 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I would likely just paint it in place. If you raise the landing gear up the loft drops a bit. I am considering doing that too some time, though could be a while as so much other stuff is more important at this time.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:50 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Has anyone repainted the over the bed escape hatch? Mine's taken on a very ugly yellow. Wondering if it was removed to do so or painted in place somehow. Doesn't look easy either way.
Yes I painted mine. I did not like the light coming in. I used Rustoleum Painter's Touch Ultracover paint and primer spray cans...it says it bonds to plastic. I used black first to block the light then covered that with white to avoid solar gain and an ugly look. I masked off the surrounding area with paper to protect from overspray...kind of...I did have to use some solvent to clean up afterwards and rewax. That was over a year ago and it still looks good, granted we are in New England where the sun is not so strong.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:03 AM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
I think ETI may have changed the escape hatch. Ours does not let any light in, seems like the older one we visited was more translucent and they had made a cover to block early morning light. Also the inside frame is welded metal painted white, I think older ones had a wood grain wood or plastic trim inside.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:04 AM   #5

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Max fan

A little off topic but similar our Maxfan on 3 yr E21 has cracked from high wind here in Illinois. I used JB weld to fix it so the rain wouldn’t come in now when I get home I might paint it to take the ugly grey out . We are not near a Camping world or similar RV place Can one replace just the top of the maxfan? Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:05 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Hi: padlin... Mine's the same, but I only see it for a short time, and think about a remedy!!! Some day I'll get a "Round tuit".
One 5.0TA Escape owner I know had a tree branch accelerate his thinking. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:08 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
Yes I painted mine. I did not like the light coming in. I used Rustoleum Painter's Touch Ultracover paint and primer spray cans...it says it bonds to plastic. I used black first to block the light then covered that with white to avoid solar gain and an ugly look. I masked off the surrounding area with paper to protect from overspray...kind of...I did have to use some solvent to clean up afterwards and rewax. That was over a year ago and it still looks good, granted we are in New England where the sun is not so strong.
If you want to further cut down on the solar gain or heat lose try using this stuff. I attached to the underside with double sided tape. Really noticed a difference when lounging in bed on hot days 😎
Attached Thumbnails
C84B7871-9AB8-400F-9693-AF8A56D79282.jpg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:11 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
If you want to further cut down on the solar gain or heat lose try using this stuff. I attached to the underside with double sided tape. Really noticed a difference when lounging in bed on hot days 😎
Good point! I have used that method for cold weather camping but not warm....hmmm
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:12 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hi: Chotch... Is that red button an "Ejection button"? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:18 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
So Cliff, does this mean you are going for the tacky look?

Okay, I admit this insulating has been a tough of mine to do someday too. Not to bothered by the insulation factor physically as I just use the loft fan to move air around me, but would like to lessen the energy loss due to the large thin shell.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
A little off topic but similar our Maxfan on 3 yr E21 has cracked from high wind here in Illinois. I used JB weld to fix it so the rain wouldn’t come in now when I get home I might paint it to take the ugly grey out . We are not near a Camping world or similar RV place Can one replace just the top of the maxfan? Jim
Jenny, the lid comes with a lifetime warranty. I have one sitting on the bench awaiting install. If you can't do it yourself you'd have to hire out the actual install. You can get the replacement if you call Maxxfan, they need the numbers off the inside of the fan.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

Okay, I admit this insulating has been a tough of mine to do someday too. Not to bothered by the insulation factor physically as I just use the loft fan to move air around me, but would like to lessen the energy loss due to the large thin shell.
I just cut a square of the reflectix and stuff it in the hole when needed. I did make a magnetic stick on cover copying someones idea that works too.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:12 AM   #13

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Two summers ago I also painted our escape hatch cover on our 5.0 TA, first with black & then with a matching color for the outside. Then painted a piece of Reflectix the outside color and placed it up there to discourage condensation. I removed the cover to paint it.
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie & Lucy View Post
I removed the cover to paint it.
Just the lid or the whole assy?
Old 06-20-2019, 12:45 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

Tacky and shiny 😂
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote