5.0TA Stabilizing - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2016, 06:31 PM   #21

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Also, don't believe the 1" at wheels per increment on the Level Master, that must be for 40'ers.

I find most times single levelers is sufficient, occationally you need 2. Of course that's with the spring suspension. I get about double the rise using 2 as opposed to just 1. Same goes for blocks.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:42 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I find most times single levelers is sufficient, occationally you need 2. Of course that's with the spring suspension. I get about double the rise using 2 as opposed to just 1. Same goes for blocks.
So, there is no need with spring axles to try to maintain an even level with the tires, as there is on the torsion axles? Kinda makes sense.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:35 AM   #23

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
So, there is no need with spring axles to try to maintain an even level with the tires, as there is on the torsion axles? Kinda makes sense.
What I should be doing and what I am doing may be 2 different things.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:43 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
What I should be doing and what I am doing may be 2 different things.
I live by that rule.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:48 AM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Hey Alf, does that 300# include Mary Anne?.....
Hi: cpaharley2008... Yes thank you!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:43 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Just kidding, we are expecting another 6-12" white stuff next week, stay warm down there.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:55 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I recall seeing, at least on the larger fifth wheels, a tripod used under the kingpin. I assume this is to help stabilize the additional weight ahead of the landing gear. Is this at all necessary?
We have used a 32-foot fifth-wheel, and did not use a kingpin stabilizer. They are not necessary, but are commonly used; even at 32 feet and 8 tons, I found that moving around in the bedroom loft jiggled the whole trailer. It depends on your personal tolerance for your world moving a bit.

Quote:
Is the front landing gear laterally stable? I guess I imagine them as being meant only for handling the weight on them. Or are they rather beefy?
Even the jacks built as fifth-wheel landing gear are not very stable laterally compared to single-leg jacks, and the lighter jacks used by Escape are intended as tongue jacks, so they are even less stable. They're rigid vertically, just not as rigid horizontally (either laterally or longitudinally).

Quote:
I have also seen diagonal stabilizers to the feet of the landing gear. If there was any lateral movement there, I imagine they would help.
Yes, that's what they're for. We never added them to our fifth-wheel, but I can see the appeal.

Quote:
I will definitely hold off on the tripod myself, I am more just curious as to whether others use them. I could see more reason for them in those behemoth fivers.
The big trailers have a longer overhang, but also more mass and a substantial frame. I don't know if there is really any difference in relative need. I agree that there is no reason to get this in advance, and it makes sense to see what you think after you get your 5.0TA.

As an alternative to the tripods, there are also simpler bipods. They would be about as effective in eliminating vertical motion and lateral motion; they wouldn't help longitudinal (fore-aft) motion, but I don't think that's the concern for most people.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:03 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Also, don't believe the 1" at wheels per increment on the Level Master, that must be for 40'ers.
Assuming that you're talking about the Level Master lateral bubble level (or similar) used for side-to-side leveling, the calibration doesn't depend on length - it depends on track width (side-to-side between tires). Escape fifth-wheels are narrow so a given size of block under one side will make a greater angle change.

Of course, if you only put a block under one tire of a tandem, and the other tire on that side stays on the ground, you only get half as much side-to-side angle change.

Quote:
The leaf spring suspensions are sort of equalizing, due to the rocker linkage between the rear of the leading spring and front of the trailing spring, so they are less sensitive to being out of level. For camping (not towing, or even long-term storage) the two axles can be at significantly different heights (up to a couple of inches over the couple feet plus of axle spacing).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:18 PM   #29

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Jim Bennett... We have never used a tri-pod. With all that weight on the axles our 300lbs+ on the bed is nothing. No bounce either... I should know!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Well Alf, we do use one. After going on about how heavy your 5.0 classic's memory foam mattress was Beth insisted I get one which I bought even before you delivered Escape Hatch to us. I know it's not going to tip but she is happier

I bought it at the RV dealer who put in my brake controller and wiring, and mounting brackets for the hitch. It was a little more than $100 and is quite light, having legs that extend so packs into a nice short piece for carrying in bed of the truck.

Speaking of truck, had the first major repair on it today. Picking it up tomorrow here in KS paying about $2300 USD, ouch . Good thing Beth gets OAS starting in April! We head tomorrow for NM and AZ.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote