5.0TA Stabilizing - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2016, 01:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
5.0TA Stabilizing

I am curious as to how stabilizing on the 5.0TA is achieved when setting up on site.

Along with the rear stabilizers, and the front landing gear, are there also stabilizers on the front?

I recall seeing, at least on the larger fifth wheels, a tripod used under the kingpin. I assume this is to help stabilize the additional weight ahead of the landing gear. Is this at all necessary?

As with my 19, I will be using the BAL X-Chocks.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:04 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Rear stabilizers, chocks (or BAL) at tires and front landing gear. That's all I use. But being alone in the trailer may make the difference. Those tri-pods are heavy! Unless you get one of the aluminum ones and those are expensive. I'd say try it without the tri-pod, you may not need it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Seems stable

We use blocks under the wheels to get close to level, side to side, then use the front jacks to level front to back and fine tune side to side. We then put down the rear stabilizers and the trailer seems stable. I suppose you would use your Bal-X Chocks for side to side leveling.
David
D&R_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:10 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Etrailer has one,
24 lbs and $114
Ultra-Fab 5th Wheel King Pin Tripod Stabilizer - Steel - 42" to 50" - 5,000 lbs Ultra-Fab Products Camper Jack UF19-950001
Old 02-02-2016, 02:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
I use the Andersen leveling blocks, link attached. I bought the bi-pod that Escape sells (as Donna noted) its very heavy. I used is a few times and in a effort to reduce the GVW, started camping without it and have absolutely not noticed any difference. The landing gear and frame gives the front end of the trailer ample support in my opinion.

Robot Check
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:13 PM   #6

Is the front landing gear laterally stable? I guess I imagine them as being meant only for handling the weight on them. Or are they rather beefy?

I have also seen diagonal stabilizers to the feet of the landing gear. If there was any lateral movement there, I imagine they would help.

I will definitely hold off on the tripod myself, I am more just curious as to whether others use them. I could see more reason for them in those behemoth fivers.

Last question. Am I showing concern where I really need not be?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-02-2016, 02:17 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Jim I just use the Bal-X Chocks, rear stabilizers, landing gear and that's it, oh and a high tech piece of 2X6 for leveling. Rock solid.

Cheers
Doug
Old 02-02-2016, 02:17 PM   #8

I have already bought the Anderson levellers, though have never used them. I have pretty much only heard good things about them, other than they can slip on greasy ground conditions. Most of the camping we do requires at least a couple inches of blocking on one side. I went from 25 years of using treated 2x6's, to a few years of the Lynx blocks, now to these levellers. I plan on having a big level mounted on the king pin so I can tell without help when the trailer is perfectly level side to side.

I know when we started using the X-Chocks on our 19 6 years ago, we noticed a huge improvement in stability, greatly reducing the wee shaking motions, and still have them, so will definitely use them on the 5.0.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:17 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Not really, but how would you know unless you ask? As usual with this stuff YMMV. I was given a steel tri-pod for Ten Forward, gave it back. However, everyone's comfort level is different. But, I don't notice any movement inside when I'm parked and stabilized as I mentioned. And yes, I have traveled with someone, but mostly alone.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:19 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

Nothing wrong with being cautious and learning as much as you can.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Jim Bennett... We have never used a tri-pod. With all that weight on the axles our 300lbs+ on the bed is nothing. No bounce either... I should know!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Jim Bennett... We have never used a tri-pod. With all that weight on the axles our 300lbs+ on the bed is nothing. No bounce either... I should know!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Do you hang out your "If the trailer is a rockin' " sign as a precaution too?
Old 02-02-2016, 02:49 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I like the Anderson, but the time I tried to use them on sand they both sank in and gave zero lift. On concrete or asphalt one of them always squirts out and I end up using the BAL or the Lynx.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:29 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
We are more “travelers” than campers. Two, three days and I am ready to move along and see something new so we stay hitched up to the truck most of the time. The few times that we are unhitched we have used the Anderson levels with block and front landing gear with minimal movement. I have only used the back level stabilizers on a couple of occasions and did not notice a whole lot of difference.

Now in a few years when we retire I can see spending a couple weeks at someplace like Cape Hatteras National Seashore and putting the back stabilizers and my toes in the sand. Scott

Scott, Lori and Fritz the Schnauzer
Moose are better in my freezer than eating my mountain ash
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:37 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Alf has a navigator who let him get a tattoo and a bumper sticker both of which say " I go where I'm towed. "
On the other hand, the Boy Scouts were laughing at me one day when we were following a horse trailer with a sticker " You are what you see."
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:55 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Hey Alf, does that 300# include Mary Anne?.....
Old 02-02-2016, 05:04 PM   #17

Trailer: none
We have a 5.0 Classic and do not use a tripod. However, we carry two wooden blocks, about 9" in each dimension (came from someone's house construction). We put those under the front landing gear so that the landing gear are not extended as much. We find that creates a pretty solid base and don't notice any laterally movement. Also helps on soft substrates. They don't weigh a lot and we carry them in the truck bed.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:16 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
we carry two wooden blocks, about 9" in each dimension We put those under the front landing gear so that the landing gear are not extended as much. We find that creates a pretty solid base and don't notice any laterally movement. Also helps on soft substrates. They don't weigh a lot and we carry them in the truck bed.
I also use x-chocks with wooden blocks under the front landing gear and under rear stabilizers so they are not extended so much. There is little trailer movement, if any. The landing gear is pretty beefy.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:18 PM   #19

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Use 4x8 blocks under the front legs.
Use rubber mat under the Anderson levelers to stop them from moving or sinking in as bad.
Have 1 x-Bal chock but only use it on hills.
Use 2 rubber chocks.

I found no movement with just the front jacks, at least not enough to bother me. So much so that I stopped using the stabilizers. Problem was one time I did need them, again on a hill, I was so used to not using them I never thought to raise them when I backed off the levelers. Good thing is they are easy to remove and with a torch easy to straighten. So now I'm going to make a habit of using them, even when not needed.

See no need for the kingpin tripod, unless you want it just to keep you from walking into the kingpin. Also no need for the "Strongarm" style stabilizer lateral arms. I've not noticed sway in the loft, the jacks ETI used are sufficient.

I also use the big level mounted on the top of the king pin box, works well once you get used to it. Reacts a little slow, like it's in too heavy oil.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Reacts a little slow.....
Sounds about my speed.